Page 29 of 113 FirstFirst ... 192223242526272829303132333435363979 ... LastLast

New to the site

Hello all, I was in HVAC from 1981 to 1990. From 1990 to March 2011 I was either building homes, GC or handyman. Now I find myself back in the HVAC trade and loving it. Of course I did not realize how much catching up I had to do with getting my EPA card Tech registration card and recovery equipment. But after a few months I am very comfortable with retrofits and look forward to advancing my education and acquiring new skills. I will be joining the Pro side asap and look forward to being part of the community. So once again hello from the capital of HVAC Houston,TX. Dan

I hope I can contribute to this wonderful site half of which it has contributed to me

Hi Everyone,

In 2 weeks I will graduate from Quality Technical Training Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. I was advised to attend this technical school verses the community college in our area because of my general mechanical aptitude, old world work ethics and drive to do what ever it takes to make it in this industry. I spend all my free time studying anything HVAC/R in an attempt to better prepare myself for the field.

A lot of my knowledge of the HVAC/R industry comes from being a superintendent for a large commercial construction general contractor. It's amazing what you can learn over a period of years when you just monitor and ask questions. I was encouraged to join the electricians union by quite a few electrical contractors over the past decade. However the repetitive nature of the work would not provide the mental challenges needed for me to be content.

The HVAC mechanical contractors seemed to see the bigger picture most of time. They appeared to me to be much better problem solvers compared to the other contractors. I was quite impressed with their overall attitudes, even when electricians drilled holes in the ducting so they could run their conduit through. Yes, this has happen quite a few times. Oh how I wish I would have taken some pictures on my personal camera so I could have posted them.

Needless to say the commercial construction industry tanked here in Southern Nevada. I decided to incorporate and start my own handyman business. So I resigned in 2008 before things became cut throat. Owning my own business has been very good for me professionally but not personally. After speaking with a family friend who owns a mechanical industrial refrigeration company, I realized that this industry has always sparked my interest. I was informed I possess a great deal of experience that directly relates.

I reminded myself that a 10,000 mile journey starts with a single step and the next day I enrolled in school for HVAC/R. I jumped at the opportunity to work for the above mentioned industrial refrigeration company for a month to get a feel for the industry. I learned so much, so fast it actually had me answering school essay question with a paragraph instead of a single sentence. My instructor told me I was right on all six symptoms I identified but he was only looking for the first one. Oops. While employed I successfully changed out RT PU compressors, filter-driers, and contactors before school finished discussing theories and sequence of operation. For reasons unknown to me they allowed me to work there for 6 weeks total. That was two weeks longer than originally discussed and originally we werent sure if Id make it the whole 4 weeks. The service manager-supervising technician has a policy of only hiring techs with 5-7 years of experience and experience with anhydrous ammonia systems is a must. After walking in his shadow and working with the other service techs, I completely understand why this policy came to exist. Im just grateful for the extensive knowledge and experience Ive obtained from this unique opportunity.

Thats 5-10 years of my life and Im not trying to write a book here. Please accept my apology for the great length. If theres anything I can do to help anyone out drop me a line anytime.
    "Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort. The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" --- John Ruskin

I have a question for anybody who's got any info I have a recovery machine that was give to me its an econozone 29 made by snyder general has anyone ever used or have any info on these machines I can't find out much about them online any info would be appreciated Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jrn1 View Post
    I have a question for anybody who's got any info I have a recovery machine that was give to me its an econozone 29 made by snyder general has anyone ever used or have any info on these machines I can't find out much about them online any info would be appreciated Thanks.
    This is the wrong forum to ask questions in. Try opening a thread in the General Discussion forum. You may just get an answer to your question there. Good luck!
    "Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort. The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" --- John Ruskin

I have always been a pretty good do it yourselfer. Studied construction is high school and have built homes and garages. My plan as a youth was to get into the trades but I took a different path early on and became a police officer. After serving nearly 30 years in law enforcement, in every possible capacity, I retired and returned to junior college where I studied HVAC and received my HVAC certificate and the universal EPA card. I have been out of class for a little over a year and have been doing jobs for friends and working with an experienced tech on occasion as his helper. Right now I am still learning the ins and outs of HVAC but am gaining knowledge. I am slowly obtaining all of the tools necessary to effectively work on residential systems and hope to soon start my own part time business in residential HVAC. I continue to study and read all I can on the industry to improve my knowledge. I have been placing posts in the residential section and hope to soon apply for professional status so that I can access more areas that will aid me in my endeavor.

I've introduced myself, but I guess I never bothered to wonder if there's even a spot in Pro-Status'dom for guys like me, I currently don't work in any service (I work for a supply house). So, is there room for me?

YOU'RE THERE ...

Quote Originally Posted by TXSpeed6 View Post
    I've introduced myself, but I guess I never bothered to wonder if there's even a spot in Pro-Status'dom for guys like me, I currently don't work in any service (I work for a supply house). So, is there room for me?

The Room For Improvement ....

Do not attempt vast projects with
    half vast experience and ideas.

I have been in the Electrical trade for 20 plus years, even tried my hand as Electrical Contractor I do not regret it but do not want to go back. I have landed a job as a Maintenance Supervisor and really enjoy getting a steady paycheck, with the hopes of some retirement. Since taking this position I have obtained Universal EPA Certification and trying to learn as much as possible by asking my brother who has been in the HVAC feild as long as I have the electrical. I intend to purchase some sort of training material as well as working for the brother on weekends as he needs the help. This site looks like a great addition to my need for knowledge and resources. Looking forward to learning more.

"No question is a stupid question"

Quote Originally Posted by TXSpeed6 View Post
    So, is there room for me?
    So long as you have free Pepsi every day and hotdogs on Wednesday like my jobber, we're good
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

I graduated from a tech school 15 years ago and did hvac for 5 years before my path took to doing mostly plumbing. I am back to doing strictly heating and air and have found technology has changed quite a bit in the last 5 years and I am hoping this forum will help me get back up to speed a little easier.

Quote Originally Posted by shaygetz View Post
    So long as you have free Pepsi every day and hotdogs on Wednesday like my jobber, we're good
    We have free water every day and coffee that was fresh sometime during the week. Don't even ask about the hot dogs.

I attended a community college also fro the HVAC/R program. Towards the end of the program, I ended up getting laid off from my job as a Supervsor. That has been a year now, and I have been servicing and repairing units now for about a year on my own. I have found that it pays to have someone on your team that you can call on. I have faced several problems that it just felt like I would never solve, but I have fortunately run into those with people that I know, and a phone call will usually help out. I see a lot of individuals crack jokes about newbies out here in the field, and I hope that they remember they were newbies once. i am not afraid to ask for help, and I appreciate this forum.

When I'm feeling fractionated I hop on my temperature glide and cruise until I'm saturated.

Page 29 of 113 FirstFirst ... 192223242526272829303132333435363979 ... LastLast