Page 27 of 113 FirstFirst ... 172021222324252627282930313233343777 ... LastLast
    That's great, thanks Baloo. I'm loving school, but I can't wait to start working. It's only two more semesters so I think it is best to knock it out now.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo2327 View Post
    Unless you aren't learning anything in school, stay. Learn the theory and the basics, and you will be further ahead in the long run.

STAY IN SCHOOL...
    Last edited by Tech23; 05-16-2011 at 04:20 PM. Reason: typo

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

I have a G2 under my belt, second year refrigeration apprentice and lots of specialized training on lennox, goodman and carrier units. I use to be a chef for 10 years and quit, went to trade school and here I am 4 years later. I couldn't be happier with my decision as it was tuff to start out but having a young family its great to be home at night and working normal hours instead of crap restaurant hours. I also love the problem solving aspect as I do 90% service. Everyday i walk in to something new. Glad to be on the forum here and i hope to get pro status soon and dive in to some of this knowledge base.

randyjoeh Guest
    Blake, right there with you... I went back to trade school after 15 years in Corporate IT and project management. After watching and actively managing the offshoring of most of our customer service and IT work, I decided it's time to learn a trade that will always have a local presence.

HVAC is a great industry and with so many different areas of expertise to choose from, I feel like I made the right decision.

Best of luck.

Newby

Hey everyone, just new here, this is my first post. Look forward to talking with the rest of you. Its great to have a resource like HVAC Talk where are this experience and various expertise can come together. Cheers!

-Zah

Quote Originally Posted by Zahrius View Post
    Hey everyone, just new here, this is my first post. Look forward to talking with the rest of you. Its great to have a resource like HVAC Talk where are this experience and various expertise can come together. Cheers!

-Zah
    Welcome to the site !!!

Hey!

I read through this post today...jealous that I don't have any hands on to share yet...

Anyone do automotive A/C or is that not a good subject around here? As a hobby I wrench, so I'm trying to get a handle to automotive A/C stuff.

I am also planning to try and get in with a contractor for some real HVACR work and attend a year long course starting this fall, and hopefully down the road be able to get my own company together. Once I learn the ins and outs, I'd like to do service work over new installs.

I was inspired today by a post from a member where they helped out those that could not afford to pay full price for their services. I have a soft spot for the elderly and handicapped, as well as those who are trying but just need a break sometimes. I've been there. Maybe I will get a chance to help someone.

I wonder if there is some kind of tax credit, etc, for such pro bono work?

Later...Roy

Thanks HVAC-talk for the fast track to professional member. I've been in the industry 4 years. We are fortunate to have access to so many experienced guys willing to pass it along to the next generation.

Talking Newbie to the site...

Hi...everyone new to the site heard my service manager mentioned this site so decided to Google it and see what it was all about. I'm new to the industry made a career change attended a 2 year hvac program at a local community college which I've completed and landed a job with a local commercial mechanical contractor a month before I graduated very lucky! I'd say so far so good, but have a lot to learn. I've been in awe of the different system and equipment out there looking forward to this new career challenge.

Staying in school

Well the light bulb went off in my head today. I cranked up the a/c for the first time and don't you know it didn't work. So I went outside and the outdoor unit was working. A little voice in my head, that sounded a lot like my instructor said, "If the outdoor unit is working and your not getting any cooling, your problem is your inside unit." So I crawled under the house where I heard a loud humming noise." I took the cover off and the indoor blower motor was trying to turn but couldn't. The little voice said, "If the motor is trying to turn but can't give it a little nudge. If it starts the start capacitor is bad." I gave it a nudge, but no dice. The voice said, "If it doesn't start, then the motor is bad." Well a trip to the supply house for a new motor and matching start capacitor I was back in business. That when the bulb lit up and I thought, so that's what I go to school for.

I graduated with Honors from New Hampshire Technical College in Manchester New Hampshire with an Associates Applied Science in HVAC. I was a student member teacher in heating and electrical. From 1995-2000 specialized in Oil heating residential through heavy commercial and hydronics. field service supervisor from 1998-2000. Moved to Florida in 2002 and i have been working for mechanical contractor since. Service manager for the past 3 years.

New Tech

Hello everyone i'm new to this site and field!! I went to a vocational school for Hvac/R about a year ago. I finished and couldn't find a job anywhere!!! I would apply to places that needed a helper with 2-3 years exp. So I got a job as an estimator at a TAB comapny and got a call from a hvac company for a helper position a week ago that I applied to a year ago!! The comapny does service and installs ductwork. I'm soo excited, I start Tuesday. Any pointers?? LOL Wish me luck!!

I'll be waiting for that voice in my head but it probably won't happen. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Oxy Moron View Post
    Well the light bulb went off in my head today. I cranked up the a/c for the first time and don't you know it didn't work. So I went outside and the outdoor unit was working. A little voice in my head, that sounded a lot like my instructor said, "If the outdoor unit is working and your not getting any cooling, your problem is your inside unit." So I crawled under the house where I heard a loud humming noise." I took the cover off and the indoor blower motor was trying to turn but couldn't. The little voice said, "If the motor is trying to turn but can't give it a little nudge. If it starts the start capacitor is bad." I gave it a nudge, but no dice. The voice said, "If it doesn't start, then the motor is bad." Well a trip to the supply house for a new motor and matching start capacitor I was back in business. That when the bulb lit up and I thought, so that's what I go to school for.

Page 27 of 113 FirstFirst ... 172021222324252627282930313233343777 ... LastLast