Page 17 of 113 FirstFirst ... 71011121314151617181920212223242767 ... LastLast
    hey guys - new poster here. Been registered on the site for a while, but haven't been posting. My name is Sarah - working for my parent's HVAC business in Richmond, VA. I came into the business at 19 with no knowledge of it, just as "something to do". Now, 10 years later, I'm currently the Vice President of the company and working on taking over all day-to-day operations in the next 3 to 5 years. I don't have the technical knowledge of someone who came up through the ranks, but I am working more and more on that side of things, while handling the business side. Looking forward to talking with you guys and learning more

Welcome........I just got here myself

Quote Originally Posted by lakesidehvac View Post
    hey guys - new poster here. Been registered on the site for a while, but haven't been posting. My name is Sarah - working for my parent's HVAC business in Richmond, VA. I came into the business at 19 with no knowledge of it, just as "something to do". Now, 10 years later, I'm currently the Vice President of the company and working on taking over all day-to-day operations in the next 3 to 5 years. I don't have the technical knowledge of someone who came up through the ranks, but I am working more and more on that side of things, while handling the business side. Looking forward to talking with you guys and learning more
    Welcome Sarah, congrats on all you have done thus far and good luck as you move forward in the business. You make me think of my oldest dauighter who is nine now, that is her in my avatar when she was 3.

Take care and glad to have you.

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

Quote Originally Posted by upnort View Post
    Hi to everybody....

I got into the trade because I needed to learn something different. I had been a heavy equipment operator in the military and when I got out, I found that everybody and his brother could run equipment. It was also the early
    80's and not a good time to be looking for a job. I was going to use my G.I. bill to go to school but I didn't know what skill to learn. I was all set up to learn how to be a butcher when a buddy of mine that owns a grocery store said I should learn refrigeration because they are in short supply around here and they charge a lot of money for their work. Sounded good to me. I guess the rest is history...I sure am glad I'm not a butcher.....lol
    Welcome to the site, glad to have you and hope to see you around.

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

hello everyone,i got into this trade through a co-op course in high-school. The company liked me and made me their apprentice, been at it for almost 5 years and am going to write my c of q soon and hope to learn all i can before then. i wish i found this site sooner the pro membership forum looks very educational.

Quote Originally Posted by matt b View Post
    hello everyone,i got into this trade through a co-op course in high-school. The company liked me and made me their apprentice, been at it for almost 5 years and am going to write my c of q soon and hope to learn all i can before then. i wish i found this site sooner the pro membership forum looks very educational.
    Matt,

What is c of q?

Hello everyone been reading the site for almost a year finally decided to make a post.I am from Northeast Ohio. I started out in the hvac field when my brother got tired of working for a local heating company and decided to get his state certification.We invested in a break,jump shear,Pittsburgh machine,rollers,etc.
    I was green as could be.. spent hours in the shop messing metal up (for free lol) at first it was just the two of us. and we got alot of work so we would work all day mostly replacements and new construction. and try to run service and bids in between. then we got a 15 year service tech taught him to install,build metal and do layouts and loads and he passed on some of his knowledge. for about 10 years.also holds electrical and plumbing license's. at this point i think i know my stuff and take a job with carrier dealer as a service tech floating with the install crews or building metal for 5 years going through the protech certifications and becoming NAT Certified.for the the last 4 years i have been with a family owned lennox dealer. love the site read here often. and i know im gonna have to do this for the rest of my life I should probably try to learn as much as i can.

Hello my name is Bill. Born in Philadelphia. Been in and out of the trade since I was 17 (went to college, now in debt). Now working full time and learning the wonders of geo. Currently working in Kennet Square PA.

Hello everyone! I am new in this forum. Well i started working in the hvac industry since i was like 15 years old because my father owned a hvac company here in puerto rico(sorry if my english is not perfect). I used to go with him after school or in the summer. But really i cant say i learned a lot of technical stuff cause i was just a kid and didnt have the will of learning. When i finished high school i wanted to go to college and study something like law or medicine. But first i decided to go to a hvac technical school to get an hvac degree to have at least something and work so i can make the money to go to college or in case didnt like college. I finished the hvac school, got my Hvac licenses and started to work. Now after aproximately 7 years i am very happy with the desccion i made. Hvac is not just a carrer man. Is a way of life! I know lots of guy may think the same as me. Always looking at other peoples or building rooftops to see what type of units they have, how well they are maintained. Looking at the new tools or gadgets to make our jobs easier. Long live the hvac techs man i love my job!!

Quote Originally Posted by upnort View Post
    Hi to everybody....

I got into the trade because I needed to learn something different. I had been a heavy equipment operator in the military and when I got out, I found that everybody and his brother could run equipment. It was also the early
    80's and not a good time to be looking for a job. I was going to use my G.I. bill to go to school but I didn't know what skill to learn. I was all set up to learn how to be a butcher when a buddy of mine that owns a grocery store said I should learn refrigeration because they are in short supply around here and they charge a lot of money for their work. Sounded good to me. I guess the rest is history...I sure am glad I'm not a butcher.....lol
    I've worked for a grocery chain now for 14 years. 10 of that was as a butcher. Wasn't enjoying it, or just not challenged enough and wanted to change. Talking to the refrigeration guys, I got into that side of the business. Had to start out pressure washing condensers for 2 summers. Even on the hottest of days in over 100 degree compressor rooms pressure washing, never regretted leaving being a butcher.
    Now I've been a tech for around 2 years learning an insane amount of things. Definitely a trade up, sorry, no pun intended.
    Almost everyday is always something new. Can't beat it.

Hello

Just want to say Hi to the site. My name is Dave and I'm a mechanical engineer and I specialize in ice rink construction. My wife and I are in the process of designing and building a new home that I hope to break ground in June. There's a lot of great knowledge and experience on the site, glad to know there's people out there will to share it.

New contractor

My name is Paulo. I used to play with computers and electronics building little FM transmitters and SLR controllers when I was a kid and later in high school I decided to attend the tech shcool (electronic). Due to family/financial reasons I had to drop school before I finished to start working (not in the field) and make money. Years later I got some kind of GED (because I'm from South America) and started attending the State University - BS in Physics. By that time I was 21 and had a half decent job. Half way into my degree I found out I couldn't keep working and studying at same time so I kept working - you need to make a living before you do anything else, specially where I come from. I came to America about 11 years ago and after a couple of factory jobs I started working for this AS dealer as a helper and in 6 months, because of my background, I was able to learn the basics really fast and was doing service and installs. About 5 years later I was doing everything including training a new guy every other month even though the company never had more than 4 guys at a time. (for some reason it seems very hard to find good guys in Central Florida). I decided to get my own license but planned on staying there for a while but I guess they didn't want somebody that would become a competitor inside the company so they laid me off when business slowed down about a month before my test. I studied and got my stuff organized (company paperwork,tools,truck, etc..) and once I passed the test I started my business the very next day. Its been slow because it has just passed a year now but I'm happy and always looking for something different to learn. I've visited this site for some time but never posted before and decided to do it because I want to exchange ideas and have a way to help people and get hep as well.
    Last edited by PremiumServices; 03-21-2011 at 01:09 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by PremiumServices View Post
    My name is Paulo. I used to play with computers and electronics building little FM transmitters and SLR controllers when I was a kid and later in high school I decided to attend the tech shcool (electronic). Due to family/financial reasons I had to drop school before I finished to start working (not in the field) and make money. Years later I got some kind of GED (because I'm from South America) and started attending the State University - BS in Physics. By that time I was 21 and had a half decent job. Half way into my degree I found out I couldn't keep working and studying at same time so I kept working - you need to make a living before you do anything else, specially where I come from. I came to America about 11 years ago and after a couple of factory jobs I started working for this AS dealer as a helper and in 6 months, because of my background, I was able to learn the basics really fast and was doing service and installs. About 5 years later I was doing everything including training a new guy every other month even though the company never had more than 4 guys at a time. (for some reason it seems very hard to find good guys in Central Florida). I decided to get my own license but planned on staying there for a while but I guess they didn't want somebody that would become a competitor inside the company so they laid me off when business slowed down about a month before my test. I studied and got my stuff organized (company paperwork,tools,truck, etc..) and once I passed the test I started my business the very next day. Its been slow because it has just passed a year now but I'm happy and always looking for something different to learn. I've visited this site for some time but never posted before and decided to do it because I want to exchange ideas and have a way to help people and get hep as well.

Welcome to the site.

Page 17 of 113 FirstFirst ... 71011121314151617181920212223242767 ... LastLast