Page 16 of 113 FirstFirst ... 6910111213141516171819202122232666 ... LastLast
    Yes he was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    Ted!!!!!!!

If you do not send me goodies!!!!!!

I will post those pictures of you from camp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

Applying for Pro Membership

I started my interest in this field about 1 year ago. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life, so I checked out a couple of schools and one particular school caught my eye. WyoTech in Long Beach, California. I drove over to the campus one morning and talked with a representative, she took me on a tour of the campus and showed me what was available. They had it all to Medical, Automotive, Electrical, Plumbing & RHVAC. I had heard about all of the above but the most mysterious to me was HVAC, I had never really heard of the trade and was just curious at that point to learn more. I immediately just told the rep. I want to take the HVACR course. I didn't care, I wasn't sure why I chose it, but it felt like the right thing to do. I just went with my gut feeling, plus they had told me that it was a mixture of electrical, plumbing and all sorts of crafts in one. In a sense... so I fell in love. I learned a lot from my instructors who are respected contractors still in business. They were a few guys with negative attitudes always talking **** about the schools and instructors... saying things like, this diploma isn't worth ****, and if this guy was making money why would he be instructing? I payed no attention though, all of them dudes ended up dropping out. I figured the instructors just loved what they did, educating. I mean i'm 22 years old and my instructors are well on to their 40's. The main thing they would tell me is, you guys are the future of HVAC, we need young guys that know what they're doing and that are going to have a love and passion to do what we do, and do things the RIGHT way. They stressed all the time how most of the guys in the field are doing half ass jobs and are bringing a bad rep to the industry. It's instructors like these that made me fall in love with the trade. I learned something for once in my life that I have a passion to grow old with! I just recently graduated not top of my class, but I was up there. I'm proud of my diploma, it's like i'm looking into my future, because the future lies only in my hands. If you got to know me, you'll know that i'm a leader and always strive to accomplish my goals. I'm a very confident, motivated individual that's potentials and capabilities are unlimited. I strongly feel that we are the only limitations to life, we only limit ourselves. I cannot wait to get a job and begin my journey, I cannot wait to be a REAL HVAC Technician and one day I will be a HVAC Contractor!

Here's what I learned at school:

Refrigeration Theory and Electricity
    Electronic Control Mechanism
    Copper Piping and Soldering Techniques
    Air Conditioning and Heating Systems
    Diagnostic and Repair Procedures
    Gas Furnace Design and Wiring Safety
    Power Sources and Circuit Diagrams
    Testing Instruments and Troubleshooting Techniques
    Pressure and Temperature Charts

Thanks for having me fellas, hope to have that pro membership

J-88

sounds like your instructors are top shelf
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Welcome J88,

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

your fuecher

I can tell you some good advise to now. you will learn over time that a lot of coworkers that have hade some years in the feald may teach you things that may save time doing what you do but always remember this ther is a right way of doing things and a wrong way and just half ass. do it the right way and you can be the best at what you do. ther are a lot of people in ower feild that have learnd a lote of bad habits and are very sure in ther ways. faster and cheeper is not the way to go it takes many years to learn that. most of the things we do or don't do may take a few years to cause a system to break. it may be air flow or satic pressure or proper vac of 500 microns ther is so much to look at. but if i can help you feel free to get in touch with me. gerald herr

Its almost that time of year. swet and long hours and going back on your installers and saying what where you thinking.

Smile Let me get on my soap box !

hello to everybody from Sac town California !

Just wanted to say hi to everybody and say alittle something about myself and how i got into the HVAC trade.

I lived in Washington state and began working after i graduated high school for an HVAC company. Yes i was an arrogant grunt that thought he knew what he was doing. I started working and installing ducts and my supervisor would inspect my work and tell me to do it all over again it look like crap! Then he would show me again how he wanted it and explained why. i thought he was just being a jerk. But there was a bar set of professionalism that i didnt see when i first started the trade. i began to listen and ask questions and became very good at what i did . I stayed with the company for 7 years doing installations and then i moved to sunny california so i could work on my casper tan ! applied for 6 companies and they all wanted to hire me . i felt like a prom queen with all the attention i was getting .

To be honest i do hate saying this but i was board of doing installs and i wanted a challenge so i didn't go with the company that paid the top dollar i went with the one who was most reputable and had good quality standards and who were honest. I told them i want to do service and they agreed that would be a good idea because i seemed people oriented and i like to problem solve. So threw some trial and error and classes i attended i got my certifications for a universal license and a low voltage license and a in home sales person license.

my first service call ..... went out it was a bryant m# 350mav036090aafa I remember it like it was yesturday !
    i went threw the start up and fire off sequence, found hot surface ignitor to not come on! told the lady ya got a bad ignitor. She said can you fix it and i said i think so. Went out to the truck looked at 6 ignitors found the right one came back and had to remove the flue pipe in order to access the ignitor. Got it installed fired it up yay! Went out to the truck grabbed my price book that i would be using for the first time! Looked up the part and filled out my service tag. went inside showed the homeowner the tag she freaked out and told me to leave her house ! kicking me out before grabbing the service tag out of my hand. 4:15

Another tec was in the area and he tried to reason with her and couldn't so we called the boss he said wait there im calling the sheriff 8:30,
    sheriff asked the lady did you take the service tag out of the techicians hand . at first she said i dont have it ! then she said i spilled coffee all over it . finally she gave the tag back that had no coffee stains on it and we didnt collect anything on that call. 10:00 i was home.

for all you owners and other tecs you can see all the things you would have done differently and what would of been the right way of handling the situation but as your first service call !!! Omg what the hell was i thinking getting into service!

i have been doing service now for 5-6 years and love it ! I have been in the trade now for 12-13 years and am still working for the same company in california!

Hope everybody out there is staying busy !
    best wishes to all
    Cecil Swank

hi i m a new member of this forum.Welcome to all members.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cecil swank View Post
    hello to everybody from Sac town California !

Just wanted to say hi to everybody and say alittle something about myself and how i got into the HVAC trade.

I lived in Washington state and began working after i graduated high school for an HVAC company. Yes i was an arrogant grunt that thought he knew what he was doing. I started working and installing ducts and my supervisor would inspect my work and tell me to do it all over again it look like crap! Then he would show me again how he wanted it and explained why. i thought he was just being a jerk. But there was a bar set of professionalism that i didnt see when i first started the trade. i began to listen and ask questions and became very good at what i did . I stayed with the company for 7 years doing installations and then i moved to sunny california so i could work on my casper tan ! applied for 6 companies and they all wanted to hire me . i felt like a prom queen with all the attention i was getting .

To be honest i do hate saying this but i was board of doing installs and i wanted a challenge so i didn't go with the company that paid the top dollar i went with the one who was most reputable and had good quality standards and who were honest. I told them i want to do service and they agreed that would be a good idea because i seemed people oriented and i like to problem solve. So threw some trial and error and classes i attended i got my certifications for a universal license and a low voltage license and a in home sales person license.

my first service call ..... went out it was a bryant m# 350mav036090aafa I remember it like it was yesturday !
    i went threw the start up and fire off sequence, found hot surface ignitor to not come on! told the lady ya got a bad ignitor. She said can you fix it and i said i think so. Went out to the truck looked at 6 ignitors found the right one came back and had to remove the flue pipe in order to access the ignitor. Got it installed fired it up yay! Went out to the truck grabbed my price book that i would be using for the first time! Looked up the part and filled out my service tag. went inside showed the homeowner the tag she freaked out and told me to leave her house ! kicking me out before grabbing the service tag out of my hand. 4:15

Another tec was in the area and he tried to reason with her and couldn't so we called the boss he said wait there im calling the sheriff 8:30,
    sheriff asked the lady did you take the service tag out of the techicians hand . at first she said i dont have it ! then she said i spilled coffee all over it . finally she gave the tag back that had no coffee stains on it and we didnt collect anything on that call. 10:00 i was home.

for all you owners and other tecs you can see all the things you would have done differently and what would of been the right way of handling the situation but as your first service call !!! Omg what the hell was i thinking getting into service!

i have been doing service now for 5-6 years and love it ! I have been in the trade now for 12-13 years and am still working for the same company in california!

Hope everybody out there is staying busy !
    best wishes to all
    Cecil Swank
    Welcome Cecil,

Always good to give the cost of the repair up front....before doing the work and get them to authorize it.

Good luck

Hi to everybody....

I got into the trade because I needed to learn something different. I had been a heavy equipment operator in the military and when I got out, I found that everybody and his brother could run equipment. It was also the early
    80's and not a good time to be looking for a job. I was going to use my G.I. bill to go to school but I didn't know what skill to learn. I was all set up to learn how to be a butcher when a buddy of mine that owns a grocery store said I should learn refrigeration because they are in short supply around here and they charge a lot of money for their work. Sounded good to me. I guess the rest is history...I sure am glad I'm not a butcher.....lol

Quote Originally Posted by upnort View Post
    Hi to everybody....

I got into the trade because I needed to learn something different. I had been a heavy equipment operator in the military and when I got out, I found that everybody and his brother could run equipment. It was also the early
    80's and not a good time to be looking for a job. I was going to use my G.I. bill to go to school but I didn't know what skill to learn. I was all set up to learn how to be a butcher when a buddy of mine that owns a grocery store said I should learn refrigeration because they are in short supply around here and they charge a lot of money for their work. Sounded good to me. I guess the rest is history...I sure am glad I'm not a butcher.....lol
    I don't know-- they way things are heading if you were a butcher you could be eating steaks...

Ain't that the truth...........lol

Page 16 of 113 FirstFirst ... 6910111213141516171819202122232666 ... LastLast