Page 2 of 113 FirstFirst 1234567891252102 ... LastLast
    Oh. I can not take the credit for that!
    a guy a little smarter than me came up with that!
    Aristotle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    Oh. I can not take the credit for that!
    a guy a little smarter than me came up with that!
    Aristotle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    think I heard of that dude . . . . ?

when I first started in this field, it didn't take but about 3 days to realize that what was taught in college was only the foundation, it was totaly different in the field.

and when I think I have it figured out, somebody builds a different mouse trap.

If you only have the vocabulary for this trade, you'll only be able to blow smoke up peoples butts for a little while, if you don't understand what you are talking about ask some one to explain.

Those sage techs that you meet are, by and large, eager to transfer knowledge to those willing to accept it............but if you act as if you know it all to begin with.......there aren't going to be many that will waste much time trying to get you to see things as they should be.

those seasoned techs didn't get that way by not knowing everything, they learned and earned on the way.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

figured you had!!!!!!!!!!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Klay View Post
    think I heard of that dude . . . . ?

I'm trying to imitate a sponge and soak every little bit of it in.

Hello everyone, This is a fantastic place to share thoughts and continue learning. I got into this trade about 33 years ago. I worked for my father who owned a couple retail stores. Every summer without fail my dad had to call out a tech named Shorty to fix the a/c units.I tell you later why his name was Shorty. I would help him haul all of this equipment up to the roof and ask a million questions, and that is where it all began. Thanks alot Shorty. I then decided to enroll in a hvac course at the local community college, It was a great, loved learning something totally new. My grades were never higher , in fact I ended up on the Deans list for two years. I was then hired by a large union contractor as the assistant estimator. i knew nothing, but I learned fast, taking off high rise buildings and having to listen to the reel to reel computer as I did the takeoff. I became bored one day and decided that I needed to get my hands dirty. I got hired by a union contractor which at the time was the largest residential hvac contractor west of the rocky mtns. They were installing over 30,000 systems a year. I became one of their most versatile service techs and they threw everything at me including the owners Greyhound bus, his motor home ,and told me dont screw up on the a/c. He was going across the country on vacation and his a/c wasn't working. Literally I was thrown under the bus. I left that company after about 8 years , helped a friend start up a business, left there and started my own contracting business. 24 years later here I am. I have electrical , hvac and solar energy contracting licenses, are primary work is light commercial, large custom homes. I started out as a service company, but the bulk of our work is design build , and retrofits. When I was back in my twenties, I thought I knew everything about this industry, but today in my ripe age of 54 I realize the more you know , the less you know, and just when you thought you had seen it all ,bamm , back to the books and more learning. I love this trade and all of the challenges that come with it.

I didn't grow up in a stable home so when I turned 18 I went straight into the Navy as a machinist mate where I learned how to drink beer and work on some pretty big equipment that took a lot of muscle. Then the navy sent me to a two week class on air cond. and refrigeration and I fell in love. I got out of the Navy with drunk diploma in hand and started working at Hussman refrigeration building cases in their s. cali. warehouse. Got layed off due to slow time where I excelled my skills building aircraft one hole at a time. I then went to work building trucks for a big company, actually stamping plant, hardest work I ever did, When after another year I was able to get a maintenace job in the hvac field because my driving record finally cleared up all of those tickets.I was a maintenance tech. for a while ,then After making lots of mistakes I finally landed a job as a tech. Hasn't been easy I still am learning today and believe me when I say this is the short version of my story.

Quote Originally Posted by acwizard View Post
    Hello everyone, This is a fantastic place to share thoughts and continue learning. I got into this trade about 33 years ago. I worked for my father who owned a couple retail stores. Every summer without fail my dad had to call out a tech named Shorty to fix the a/c units.I tell you later why his name was Shorty. I would help him haul all of this equipment up to the roof and ask a million questions, and that is where it all began. Thanks alot Shorty. I then decided to enroll in a hvac course at the local community college, It was a great, loved learning something totally new. My grades were never higher , in fact I ended up on the Deans list for two years. I was then hired by a large union contractor as the assistant estimator. i knew nothing, but I learned fast, taking off high rise buildings and having to listen to the reel to reel computer as I did the takeoff. I became bored one day and decided that I needed to get my hands dirty. I got hired by a union contractor which at the time was the largest residential hvac contractor west of the rocky mtns. They were installing over 30,000 systems a year. I became one of their most versatile service techs and they threw everything at me including the owners Greyhound bus, his motor home ,and told me dont screw up on the a/c. He was going across the country on vacation and his a/c wasn't working. Literally I was thrown under the bus. I left that company after about 8 years , helped a friend start up a business, left there and started my own contracting business. 24 years later here I am. I have electrical , hvac and solar energy contracting licenses, are primary work is light commercial, large custom homes. I started out as a service company, but the bulk of our work is design build , and retrofits. When I was back in my twenties, I thought I knew everything about this industry, but today in my ripe age of 54 I realize the more you know , the less you know, and just when you thought you had seen it all ,bamm , back to the books and more learning. I love this trade and all of the challenges that come with it.
    So why was he called Shorty?

My wife says she is thinking of "going pro", but I'm not sure what she means, as she doesn't know anything about HVAC.

Quote Originally Posted by garya505 View Post
    My wife says she is thinking of "going pro", but I'm not sure what she means, as she doesn't know anything about HVAC.

according to Shorty, he said his wife should have looked under the hood before she said I do.

in a service van down by the river...........
    Quote Originally Posted by garya505 View Post

Just when I was beginning to think that no-one here had a sense of Humor, You show up........................................Thanks for the Laugh
    It's All about Heat.............................to a degree

we can be funny! Dammit!
    yellow makes me sad! I think?

Page 2 of 113 FirstFirst 1234567891252102 ... LastLast