Welcome to all New Guests going Pro? Do not post equipment questions in this forum - Page 96
Page 96 of 113 FirstFirst ... 46868990919293949596979899100101102103106 ... LastLast
Results 1,236 to 1,248 of 1468
    After high school I went into the Marine Corps and a had a friend that went into the HVAC trade. After my time in the service I took a part time gig doing building maintenance. At one point the A/C was not working so I grabbed my tools and meter, went on the roof, called my buddy and he helped me troubleshoot the unit. This happened a couple of times, so I decided to get into the HVAC field.

I knew a salesman for a Trane distributor, and he gave my the number to a really great Commercial HVAC company. Was hired the day of my interview as a parts chaser. Since I had my own tools they would send me on simple PM's and service calls as well. Then got promoted to junior tech (glorified parts chaser, LOL).

Left that company for an inside sales job at a supply house. Later became the manager. Resigned from that job after 5 years to go to school for my engineering degree.

I now go to school full time and work building maintenance/HVAC part time until I finish my degree. Old boss said he will hire me as his mechanical engineer once I am done.

Definitely siked about being able to use this site, I'm new to the service world, so many questions each and every day. Don't want to burn out the veterans with my 100 questions everyday. Will b nice to have some more brains to pick. Went through my local union steamfitter apprenticeship on the construction side. Started when I was 19. Always wanted to go service, but was never given the opportunity, finally 2 yrs ago the service side of the shop I was at asked me if I would do a couple installs for them, after that, a couple calls, and before I knew it they had me doing preventative maintenance with my own commercial accounts. Still so much to learn! But excited for the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
    Well, it all started when I was just a and I would take my toys apart and couldn't figure out how to get them back together again.....
    Exactly my story! I was so persistent, and so bad at it, that my Dad used to tell me "Everything you touch turns to manure". True story. A little harsh perhaps but it didn't matter, I just couldn't stop doing it. Well just like you I grew up and now I can put things back together again... almost every time!

I love broken stuff and I'm pretty good at fixing it. I love "polishing turds", I mean walking up to some old, neglected, ugly thing, working my magic and then turning around, afterwards, as I'm walking away to look at it and thinking, "Man! That looks nice"!

I work on Gas and Oil fired boilers, furnaces, air conditioners, heat pumps, chillers, refrigerators, ice machines, a so much more. If it worked once I can make it work again... or at least I like to think so.

Anyway, this site is great.

I have completed Hvac school and my father has recently started a Heating and cooling business and for now we focus mainly on the residential side of things. I have been very excited to get into the business but to be quite honest not many people want to help new comers into the industry so I am glad to have found a place that will help me and others be the best we can. In advance I really appreciate any help I get from the member here.

my experience so far other than school, has been rather easy most everthing I have done has been repair on residential units I hope to work myself into a maintenance job at the place where I work now and continue to build our business to some day be able to work for myself.

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati, Ohio
    Before I even thought about a career in HVACR, I was working for a large car manufacturer. Got hired at 23 years old and making more than $50,000 to start. I thought I had the world by the gonads. Make a long story short, after 6 years, too much partying and absenteeism got me fired. I FELT LIKE I HAD BOTTOMED OUT. Life has a way of humbling you! Went to community school got a certificate as an HVAC helper. Did some odd factory jobs on and off then after 2 tries, got accepted into HVAC apprenticeship school. I started out joining a 5 year apprenticeship program in about 2004. Going to school 2 nights a week and working full-time for a large contractor in Ohio. In school learned about a lot by reading. We have and still do have a large facility to train but seems like we did not have the money to buy training materials. Needless to say that most of my training and others were learned hands on, out in the field. Started out in my apprenticeship doing the usual grunt work for the journeymen in the field; changing filters, hauling tools back and forth, cleaning coils, going to get parts, performing pm’s, learning how to “create that work” (You know… just paying my dues) One thing I did was watch what was going on and asked many questions. Before you know it, in my second year, I was given a brand new full size work van, brand new tools, supplies and thrown to the wolves. I had become responsible for taking care of all the hvac in an large department store chain in Louisville and Lexington, Kentucky by myself. Each store had about an average of 20 rooftop package units ranging from 5 to 75 tons. Boy what a way to learn because we were based in SouthWest Ohio and I had to drive every day to either Lexington 1.5 hrs or Louisville which took 2 hours. There were about 6 stores in Louisville and 2 in Lexington. These places kept me humping all summer and winter long. I was actually using apprentices like I was a journeyman. I was the man!!! These rooftop units were mostly AAON units which I must say ,…… if you willing to learn on your own then AAON units with the color based wiring diagram taught me a hell of a lot. If you are reading this and you have come across AAON units with these diagrams,… then chime in. These units (hands on) along with schooling and paying attention to others, did a great deal in helping me throughout my apprenticeship. Also had a store with 200 ton Multistack chiller (piece of crap) from which I learned a lot along with pumps and a cooling tower. I did these stores for about 2 years. Many, many, many 16 hours days, coming home at night, exhausted but as an apprentice I was loving it because I was out there doing journeyman work and loving it. In about my 4-5 year, began working more on pneumatic controls, larger 75 ton Trane Intellipaks, received my Kentucky Journeyman license during my 5th year of apprenticeship along with my Universal EPA license. After 9 years I’m still with the same contractor. Just received my Associates Degree in Applied Science for the program “Sustainable Technologies in HVACR” I also have refrigeration experience but not enough if you ask me. I need to learn much more all around and look forward to doing so in the future. Look forward to staying out in the field for a few more years and then migrating to something else but I will still be in the HVAC field. I don’t claim to know it all and will myself be asking for help when needed. I truly believe this site is the best hvac “help desk” on the internet. The gathering and helpfulness of the knowledge is very very helpful to others.

well right now I'm stuck doing apartment maintenance which SUCKS. the HVAC companies won't give me a chance. I'm thinking of just doing my own thing

New Guests going Pro?

My first taste of the industry came from when I was 18 and the house I was renting at the time was having an AC problem. My landlord called out a local HVAC contractor and I talked to that guy for about an hour about what he does and what he has seen. That was almost 10 years ago! I knew NOTHING about HVAC at the time. I thought that "The big cold sweaty copper pipe" was pushing something cold into the house! Ha ha! Little did I know!

I then went to tech school, graduated top of the class, worked a few years doing residential installs. I then joined the service department with the same company. Did that a couple of years and then I joined The Union. I have never looked back! I have worked on everything from a small Traulsen reach in cooler, to a 300 ton Trane Sidewinder! I love the industry and tell everyone that wants to do it to just take the plunge and enjoy a lucrative career!

Jon Bennett!

I got involved in HVAC back in 1987. Didn't know a supply from a return. Worked hard, paid attention, and learned all that I could. Asked a lot of questions. My career in this industry went something like this - installation helper, installer, crew leader, department supervisor, then back to installer, service, more service, service manager, installation manager, residential sales, commercial sales, back to service manager. I also accepted a teaching position at the local community college teaching HVAC in their technical school. I did that for about 6 years. And then the company I worked for wanted to make me a dispatcher for their 30+ technician service department - so I walked away. Then it was unemployment for a while (by this time I was into my 50's). Now, I co-own a Mechanical Contractor company operating out of Hellertown, PA. Truth is, as a business owner, I can honestly say that I have never worked so hard for so very little in my entire life - but it keeps the lights on, and I'm always up for a challenge. At 58 years old, my mind can still do this stuff, but my body is getting tired. Anyways, I come to this site to see what people are talking about, offer a little advise if I can do so without getting beat up too badly, and sometimes to ask a question about something that may be puzzling to me. Nobody knows it all - in fact - the more you learn the more you realize just exactly how much there still is to learn.

The hot side tell us that the refrigeraton dosent cool in fact it just remove the warmnes fom inside to the coil that we call condeser with a help of freon gas greetings from kosova

Well I got in to the HVAC Trade after I got tired of being laid off in the Printing Industry. Been doing it for 7 months now and love every minute of it. I lucked out on where I got my start in the Trade I Have read a lot of horror Stories of guys starting out. I got in to a local Res shop here in SW Florida they have their own Apprenticeship program. the Way the Program works is they start you out with 2 days in a classroom and three days riding along with an experienced tech for 8 weeks at the end of the eight weeks you take your EPA Test and a final and are assigned a truck. With the truck you are given a pay bump as well. For the first year your just doing Clean & Checks, occasionally they throw us a couple of no cools just to keep us on our toes and a lot of maintenance calls can turn into service calls. Also during the first year you go on to advance classes every Wednesday night where you learn more advance trouble shooting techniques and hands on sealed system work. I love every minute of it and am always challenged the techs at my shop are very helpful if I am on a call and come across some thing I am unsure of I can call a more experienced tech to help me trouble shoot it over the phone and learn in the process of being helped. My goal right now is to learn as much as I can in order to be a successful technician and not a parts changer. With the support of my employer and this site I believe I can achieve that goal easily.

I have been in the HVAC for about 6 years now doing mostly consulting work. Have dealt primarily with chilled water commercial systems. Looking forward to helping and learning from anyone that I can.

well to be honest reading some of the other posts on the site can intimidate the new residential installer but I am very interested in learning more about the industry. I hope through hard work and learning to actually be able to contribute to helping others on the site but for now I am the one learning it seems more often than not.

Page 96 of 113 FirstFirst ... 46868990919293949596979899100101102103106 ... LastLast