Page 95 of 113 FirstFirst ... 4585888990919293949596979899100101102105 ... LastLast
Results 1,223 to 1,235 of 1468
    I'm going through the residential HVAC program at the local community college, mostly because it's interesting. I've always tinkered with furnaces in my house, and I installed a heat pump in my girlfriend's house earlier this year. My educational background is a couple years of Physics, and my "real" schooling right now is in human centered design & engineering (four year program). It would be neat if I could do something that involves HVAC and my formal training, but maybe it will continue to just be a fun thing. Seems like there is a lot of room for improvement in this trade.

I took my EPA exam a few months ago, and picked up a bunch of tools, so I've been using friends and family as guinea pigs. They are ready and willing since I already have a good reputation for fixing their cars and solving all their other mechanical problems.

Just got hired with a refigeration company here in town and now I'm Looking for some information on learning hot side of commercial refrigeration. Anything will help fellas.

The hot side of refrigeration is where the condensing takes place. This involves removing the heat from the refrigerant vapor in a finned air coil - or sometimes a water sided heat exchanger. It turns into a liquid there.

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by TVAC View Post
    Just got hired with a refigeration company here in town and now I'm Looking for some information on learning hot side of commercial refrigeration. Anything will help fellas.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    The hot side of refrigeration is where the condensing takes place. This involves removing the heat from the refrigerant vapor in a finned air coil - or sometimes a water sided heat exchanger. It turns into a liquid there.

PHM
    ------

I guess I worded that completely wrong I mean ovens, deep fryers... Etc.

So you mean: the hot side of kitchen equipment service then ? <g>

Can you / do you already work on / repair furnaces and boilers?

I ask because pretty much the same things are happening in kitchen "hot side" equipment: gas safely burns and a thermostat limits to the desired temperature. Or electric elements are powered through safety controls and a thermostat to achieve the same end.

What have you done so far which may have prepared you for this new adventure?

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by TVAC View Post
    I guess I worded that completely wrong I mean ovens, deep fryers... Etc.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

I have been in the HVAC industry for about 1 1/2 years so I'm a noob. I worked in Utah with my old boss just is and learned a great deal from him. Last aug move to Las Vegas an attended a tech school to get a better grasp on the fundamentals of HVAC and theory since I had only taken a few community college basic classes. Got hired from a company half way through tech school and he was a crook to say the least... He would condemn a condenser for the fan motor and tell them it was trashed and wouldn't work and sell them a new unit, And several other unethical things. So I told him I had to part ways because my last boss instilled a sense of honesty into me and about the trade.
    So I recently took a job with a refrigeration company and told them I have very little experience with refrigeration. They were fine with that because I had the ethics and attitude that they wanted and asked if I had "hot side" experience which I don't and they want me to start learning about it as it will help further me in my career. Now what have have I worked on? Mainly furnaces that I have worked on no big boilers I did maintenance on a smaller boiler a few times in Utah.

couldnt have said it any better! just when u think your good something else will stump you...frustrating but keeps it interesting

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    When I started, I knew nothing and knew that I knew nothing.

Then I learned a little and thought I knew a little.

Then I learned a little bit more and I knew that I knew everything.

Now, I know a little bit more and know that I will never completely understand this stuff.

I started in the HVAC business in 2000 when my dad purchased a small business with about 12 employees. I was 16 at the time but have always been very "hands-on" even as a child. I started out mostly doing installation of furnaces, air conditioners, boilers, new construction and commercial rtu's and such. At the age of 19 I moved into the service side of things. Which was a good move for me. Not to say that I was a bad installer but service work is where I really shine. I really enjoy the challenge of a tricky service call and have the mentality of "you son of a bit**, you can't beat me!!!" At the age of 20 I went to HVAC/R school and did really well. I would recommend that anyone that is wanting to get into the trade to find someone that will let you do some OJT and then go to school, you will absorb a lot more. After returning to work for about a year my dad sold the business to the current owner. I was promoted to the service manager after the previous one left to start his own business (who has gone out of business now.....) and he needed someone that had been there a while and knew how things operated. I at that time suggested that we get into the commercial refrigeration side of things. That has been very good to us. I take care of everything thing from a 1/4 horse up to rack systems (8 compressor is my largest so far). I also am kind of a wet head, check out my latest boiler job: from this Name:  DSCF6005.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  47.8 KB Name:  DSCF6009.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  60.9 KB
    to this:Name:  DSCF6055.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  47.5 KB Name:  DSCF6074.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  53.8 KB Name:  DSCF6061.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  55.0 KB
    The original boiler was fuel oil fired and as far as I could tell was about 800,000 btu's. We hung 3 HTP 199,000 btu natural gas boilers on the wall. I have come a long ways since my dad bought the business to where I am today, but I love every minute of it! And will always look forward to a good challenge even if it means that I have to take the pumice hand cleaner into the shower with me to get clean after removing that fuel oil boiler. I took a 50 minute shower!!!! I wish I would have gotten a picture of that! BTW I love posting on here. I may not do it a lot but I sit down a lot of nights and just read. I cannot even begin to count of all the little tid-bits of information that I have stored in my memory bank from this site.

Hello All,

I first begin working in the Industry with my ole man starting out on the residential side of things. Installing equipment and of course staying up in the attics longer than I probably ever should have..Just like most of you! Then I kept going with him and learning the service side of the buisness. I enjoyed the whole troubleshooting and seeing the customer satisfaction when you could get an ac unit back up and going. Then I continued through school and and begin working half a day in 97 working part time but putting in full time hours as I would ride with the service tech's on call so that I could learn more about the business. On my own dime but like my ole man always taught me was that they can take everything from you but no one can ever take your knowledge. So that was the start of my carreer in HVAC. I joined the union and worked for several shops running service and putting in projects which I always enjoyed then found myself being sent to school for chiller controls and troubleshooting because of the extra effort that was bred into me. Then I found myself learning about the whole teardown gig. My first, was a CVHB which I was in awe.. I thought that was the coolest thing I ever seen. After cutting my teeth on numerous others I began thinking that I would rather fix one that is down then be tied up being a machinist..Nothing against the teardown work but I really enjoy the technical side of it.. I begin running more and more problem child calls that other tech's would have problems with. The last one I did before going into management was on an RTHD that was started up for two months then the machine would not stay running on loss of oil flow.. This was a risky decision to cut the oil seperator to find out what was plugging the bottom 11/8 whole at the bottom. Well once I made the decision to go with it I found a blue plastic plug that was left from the factory. Any how once put back together the machine ran like a top but there were plenty of pictures so that we could show the factory the findings. Now I am the Industrial Service Manager and I enjoy going to work every day like most kids going to a movie. I strive to achieve goals that seem to be unreachable but I find it to be so rewarding to do what others seem to be impossible. Any how I am glad to find this site and look forward to helping technicians and management personell with daily issues we run into. Going on 17 years employed and loving it like the first 5 years prior to the 17 working with my ole man!

"Long time listener, first time caller" here. Officially I am relatively new to the field (2 yrs professionally) but I have been doing mechanical and electrical stuff for 20+ years. I'm NATE certified with a specialty in Gas Furnaces, working on my Heatpump Cert now. I work for a very large HVAC company (think big yellow vans) and do residential work now. I'm a people person and love talking to customers and building rapport and have a knack for sales and service. I look forward to trading tips and ideas with everyone, there so much info on here, it's great

I have been in the trade for 7 years now. Apprentice for 4. I am currently working on commercial a/c equipment, and am back at TAFE studying for my electrical licence.
    I want to be the best at this game that I can be, and I will be the first to admit that I know jack all! But I guess we all gotta start somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Puff-noeyebrows View Post
    I take care of everything thing from a 1/4 horse up to rack systems
    Wow! That's a small horse!

First, I have to thank this site for already having answered so many questions and previous issues in my short 3 year career so far. One day I will be able to return the favor. Also, I must apologize for my poor forum etiquette, this is all pretty new to me. I know I will make mistakes, the key I have learned is "don't do it again." I mostly work with residential gas furnace and ac applications, commercial rooftop units, heatpumps, and geothermal as well. I also service, but have less experience with light commercial refrigeration and ice machines. I completed a 2 year hvac/r program at local community college, completed and passed the ICE exam, also attended a competition called Skills USA 3 years ago (took 10th in nation). I try to stay humble, attentive, and open minded, always looking to improve my education, especially by listening to experience. I don't want to pay the stupid tax if not necessary. Thanks in advance to all the contributors on this site, you are all very appreciated.

Page 95 of 113 FirstFirst ... 4585888990919293949596979899100101102105 ... LastLast