Page 90 of 113 FirstFirst ... 4080838485868788899091929394959697100 ... LastLast
Results 1,158 to 1,170 of 1468
    That is the way of it - an HVAC/R tech school isn't like a truck driving tech school. That can teach you everything required to drive a truck except maybe for the self-discipline. But HVAC/R is such a big, wide, and deep field that all a tech school can do is to give you a decent foundation in the basic fundamental building-block concepts to apply. In this business you will never stop learning. Of course you won't be bored either.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Cool View Post
    So sometimes I really love this field,other times it really seems difficult. Sometimes I wonder what I was thinking. Tech school was good, but didn't really prepare me for this. I learned the basics somewhat. Finding out the rest has been intresting.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Not bored at all. Had a real peach today. A Rheem 410A 2.5 ton system. Temps were acting weird. TXV system . Went to call that said out side unit was making a loud sound. Compressor internal overload was tripped(Compressor ohmed open from C ter to S and R). Turned system off turned off breaker and used a wet rag to cool the compressor. Internal overload reset. Started it up. Amp draw looked right( compressor had 13 amps on the max run current) It was reading 6.5 amps from the common terminal. With a 68 degree dry bulb outside I had 117 low pressure 250 High pressure with 10 degrees of subcooling. From the manufacturers data I should have had 269 at the high pressure side. The evap delta t was fifteen to sixteen degrees.(looked low). So I measured across a parker muffler(is that the same as a filter dryer?Looks just like one) and there was fifteen degrees of difference. This didn't look good to me at all since it was coming right out of the compressor outlet. So PHM which part of the field do you operate in?

Over the years I've done most of what there is to do but my first love is industrial refrigeration and especially low temp. But I found that I disliked traveling to work so I've gradually reduced my radius and that limits what I can find to do. So much so that my standard joke has become: My business is like running a whorehouse - we just do whatever comes in the door.

That temperature drop across the muffler seems odd to me. An interesting thing to do would be to add an access port on both sides of the muffler and check the pressures. It seem hard to believe that the shell could radiate enough heat to reduce the discharge temperature by fifteen degrees.

PHM
    ------

Not bored at all. Had a real peach today. A Rheem 410A 2.5 ton system. Temps were acting weird. TXV system . Went to call that said out side unit was making a loud sound. Compressor internal overload was tripped(Compressor ohmed open from C ter to S and R). Turned system off turned off breaker and used a wet rag to cool the compressor. Internal overload reset. Started it up. Amp draw looked right( compressor had 13 amps on the max run current) It was reading 6.5 amps from the common terminal. With a 68 degree dry bulb outside I had 117 low pressure 250 High pressure with 10 degrees of subcooling. From the manufacturers data I should have had 269 at the high pressure side. The evap delta t was fifteen to sixteen degrees.(looked low). So I measured across a parker muffler(is that the same as a filter dryer?Looks just like one) and there was fifteen degrees of difference. This didn't look good to me at all since it was coming right out of the compressor outlet. So PHM which part of the field do you operate in?
    PHM
    --------

Thats funny. The part about the whorehouse anyway. I've never done much in that field and there was not much taught about refrigeration in tech school. What do you like so much about it?

I work on near about anything too. The only brush I've had with refrigeration was a cooler in a restaurant. My mind was totally blown when I realized that the evaporator and the condensor were not electrically connected. I thought it would be like a house ac. Wrong!It would have been pretty funny to be a fly on the wall. I bet It looked like I was trying to work on a spaceship or something.lol.

So I find myself working on the cooler in the resturant. This is the second time that I worked on it. The first time I just had to change out the evaportator fan motor. No big deal. This time the outside condensor wasn't running. The condensor had these funny looking boxes on it. (aka pressure switches). Also, the Thermostat was just hooked to a funny looking valve. I thought that looks inportant. Wonder what it does? Thats a very frighting question at 11:00 on a saturday night when the meat is thawing and the owner wants to go home. I'm hoping this is not the end of my refrigeration career.

Anyway the outside condenser is not running, The start cap and the run cap are bad(I know this because my meter has a handy dandy cap checker). I change the caps (and waalaa! I get the same thing I had)No good. Earlier I had checked the voltage to ground on the R,S,T terminals and had voltage. (Or so I thought), So I thought the caps are good now and I Have voltage. The compressor really should be running. Took my amp clamp out . Compressor wasn't drawing any amps. Compressor is bad its just gotta be. Wrong! Luckily enough I didn't change it because I wasn't sure. The voltage was coming though the windings of the compressor. I was not looking at it right. I wasn't getting the voltage I needed. I wish I could say I found it, but I didn't. That was my first introduction to pump down refrigeration. It was painful.(The condensor fan had gone out. Thats was made the caps go. )

Had a pretty easy one yesterday. Had a ac unit that burned up the breakers. Replaced the breakers. The breakers went to two different units. One unit started up fine. The other one wasn't cooling. Went into the attic to check to see if the evaporator coil was stopped up. It wasn't. Unit was a piston type on the inside unit and a txv on the outside one. Checked for leaks. Inside unit was leaking where the piston goes in. Tightened nut and sprayed soap on it. No leaks. Hooked up gauge set. SH was at 44 degrees. Charged to 13 degrees. Think a loose connection is what caused the breakers to burn up.

Had another easy one today. Window unit would not cool( Hey I know its sad, but got mouths to feed) The blower wouldn't turn. Took unit out. Turned fan unit free and put some penetrating oil on the ends.

Whoo Hoo. Got to buy a toy today! Bought a fieldpiece SMAN3 digital manifold set and it is awesome. You plug a wet bulb thermo and a dry bulb thermo in and it will calculate sh and sc for you. I am so happy. I usually have to duct tape rags around pipe with dial thermos to get these readings.

This is the new daddy cool thread lol
    Jjk I remember when I was trying to get my post up:-) good job! Sounds like you know your stuff, keep it going

Good deal.

But remember: it's never the Situation - it's always the Man.

Duct taped rags in the hands of a genuine mechanic will always beat a hundred digital meters and gauges in the hands of a bumbler.

PHM
    ------

Whoo Hoo. Got to buy a toy today! Bought a fieldpiece SMAN3 digital manifold set and it is awesome. You plug a wet bulb thermo and a dry bulb thermo in and it will calculate sh and sc for you. I am so happy. I usually have to duct tape rags around pipe with dial thermos to get these readings.
    PHM
    --------

Hi I've been in the business for 33 years graduated from Oklahoma state tech. (part of OSU) and love the trade. The trade has been very good to me and I encourage everyone to get a AS degree from a trade school. The trade is great security to people who enjoy their work and know what they are doing. I've worked for myself for 31 of the 33 years and still learning. Love the fieldpiece SMAN4 HG3 combo and wireless CFM testing. This trade is pretty simple (most things) for people that study it and I love having knowledge that 99.9% of people have no clue about.

Page 90 of 113 FirstFirst ... 4080838485868788899091929394959697100 ... LastLast