Page 89 of 113 FirstFirst ... 397982838485868788899091929394959699 ... LastLast
Results 1,145 to 1,157 of 1468
    How do I delete? It will only let me edit.
    Last edited by raincitybc; 05-16-2013 at 04:18 AM. Reason: I want to delete it!

Hi, y'all. My name is Jim,and I started late in life into this trade, but I like doing it a lot. Don't like the long hours necessarily but love the interaction w customers, you might say I took a round about way to find what I like doing. My career in a/c work started many years ago while as a mechanic, I trained for MVAC. I worked many years in auto, heavy equipment, and trucks. I specialized in diagnostics of electrical and hydraulic issues, but due to some injuries in my life, the heavy parts had to go. I went into business for myself as I am very skilled with my hands as a contractor. Studied hard to maintain my contractors license and better my abilities, but the economy in 2008, killed my business. I then studied and got my EPA card, universal, but needed more experience. I then went to work for an industrial company doing electrical repairs on very complicated equipment in the food industry as well as maintaining and even reconfiguring freezer rooms, my welding experience coming in very handy. I'm a quick study for most things electrical, with a good understanding of circuits. I don't claim to know it all and I'm not an engineer but I love diagnostics more than anything else. So I recently started as a maintenance tech for a local company. They are already putting me in service situation and are planning to move me to service department, even though only with them 3 weeks. Refrigeration is another part of this that I love. Don't know ammonia, but my experience has only had me with r22, 404a, 410, 134a, and of course 12 when it was used. Tells you my age huh. Oh well, the constant learning, and reading posts here are helping me to grow in my understanding. Thanks yall

I am currently attending vatterott college for my AOS in HVAC/R I have gotten my osha 10, EPA universal, getting my green awareness I love working in this field and everything makes sense

Made it into the service dept. last week.Things just got real!

My name is Matt from western ky, got into the trade in 2011 as an install helper started trade school at community college graduated and got into a service van alone immediately scary as hell but best way to learn, I love this trade and enjoy learning about it everyday I'm striving to b the best tech I can b

Hello All,
    I'm new to this site but have been in the HVAC/R field for 25+ years, the last 20 at a rural public school system.
    I have a friend who is on a very limited income. She owns a 3-1/2 ton Goodman heat pump that is probably 20 years old.
    Shortly after this system was installed her husband fell off the roof and landed ( you guessed it ) on top of the condenser unit. Smashed it pretty good but it continued to work fine.
    Now they have no cooling: checked the charge, it is low. Leak tested everywhere and found one leak: top two rows of condenser coil crushed and finally started leaking.
    My question is this: since they are on a very limited income they cannot afford to replace the system ( or condenser ). Has anyone had any luck bypassing the damaged area of the coil? I haven't repaired a condenser coil in a while, and it was a temporary repair. At least the condenser is old enough to have heavier copper tubes than the thinner ones today.
    Thanks so much,
    Rob

Hello All,
    I'm new to this site but have been in the HVAC/R field for 25+ years, the last 20 at a rural public school system.
    I have a friend who is on a very limited income. She owns a 3-1/2 ton Goodman heat pump that is probably 20 years old.
    Shortly after this system was installed her husband fell off the roof and landed ( you guessed it ) on top of the condenser unit. Smashed it pretty good but it continued to work fine.
    Now they have no cooling: checked the charge, it is low. Leak tested everywhere and found one leak: top two rows of condenser coil crushed and finally started leaking.
    My question is this: since they are on a very limited income they cannot afford to replace the system ( or condenser ). Has anyone had any luck bypassing the damaged area of the coil? I haven't repaired a condenser coil in a while, and it was a temporary repair. At least the condenser is old enough to have heavier copper tubes than the thinner ones today.
    Thanks so much,
    Rob

whats up, my name is casey, I am a 32 year old married father of 3 girls, I have been in the trade for about 11 years now. I started out doing automotive in college and got a job in the parts department looking for a foot in the door. I quickly realized I didn't want to do that work. a friend of my dads was a salesman for a large residential company, he got me on doing duct cleanings. it sucked at first but a lot of the cleanings were part of an install and I had to button things up a lot of times, finish humidifiers, air cleaners, run the intake, etc. I began to like the work and was soon moved to doing pm work, and shortly thereafter service, I ran service for about 5 years with them. in 08 I became a member of the plumbers and pipefitters local 149 out of champaign Illinois, I worked for a couple companies after settling in at a very large company doing service, new startups, and small design build jobs. after a few years the service was less and less, and the jobs were bigger and bigger. the last 4 summers I was the foreman of crews installing daikin vrv in schools, and doing startups and warranty work the rest of the year. January 2012 I went to work in the pipefitter shop at the university of Illinois, I didn't like it and went back to where I was in june 2012 to do what I was before I left. I was offered another position at the university in march in the refrigeration shop and am enjoying things much more this time.
    I have been very fortunate in my career so far, I have been very successful and have landed some great opprotunities.
    I have heard of this site and some of my new co workers refer to it for information sometimes. i hope i can be of help to someone and i have already round some good info myself.

I started fifteen years ago in the electrical program at a local trade school. I found a job in the a local factory, but always dreamed of owning my own small business. While I worked I went to school for hvac and refrigeration. I passed the state hvac,Refrigeration exams and got my epa card. I am just like the other people that posted. Just when I think I know a little bit, I realize how little I do know.

Just keep at it. Read technical manuals like novels. Think about it all. Dream it. Live it. Never give up. Pay attention to everything. Learn the nuts & bolts of this business like your life depended on knowing it. It will seem overwhelming but keep at it and one day you will find yourself one of the best. And when you do - keep at it. You can never be too good at what you do.

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Cool View Post
    I started fifteen years ago in the electrical program at a local trade school. I found a job in the a local factory, but always dreamed of owning my own small business. While I worked I went to school for hvac and refrigeration. I passed the state hvac,Refrigeration exams and got my epa card. I am just like the other people that posted. Just when I think I know a little bit, I realize how little I do know.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Why not? The head pressure will run marginally higher - but so what? That is still better than not running at all. Is her man OK?

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by roblaw100 View Post
    Hello All,
    Thanks so much,
    Rob
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Just keep at it. Read technical manuals like novels. Think about it all. Dream it. Live it. Never give up. Pay attention to everything. Learn the nuts & bolts of this business like your life depended on knowing it. It will seem overwhelming but keep at it and one day you will find yourself one of the best. And when you do - keep at it. You can never be too good at what you do.

PHM
    ------
    Thanks for the advice! I'm sure I'll have to ask for some more along the way.

So sometimes I really love this field,other times it really seems difficult. Sometimes I wonder what I was thinking. Tech school was good, but didn't really prepare me for this. I learned the basics somewhat. Finding out the rest has been intresting.

Page 89 of 113 FirstFirst ... 397982838485868788899091929394959699 ... LastLast