Page 85 of 113 FirstFirst ... 357578798081828384858687888990919295 ... LastLast
Results 1,093 to 1,105 of 1468
    At a pneumatic building the diaphram heads were either leaking or the stems to the 3-ways on heat side of the 4 pipe were sticking in their "proportioned controll-stroke" position.
    Bank with years of one outstanding maintenance co as a whole, and 6 more years of the co ousting them, only finding unusable controls in 4 of 24 univent fancoils and air filters with black mold, and a 1.1/2 compressor and 20 gal air tank on a 5 gal x usu 1/2 hp compressor load ( if all leaks reduced to a couple or none)...

Your only as good as your last tech, right? GO FOR IT ! check ask know and go t29 !

What I think I now have seen for HVAC old or large building works and techs is that it may be good to switch off techs that don't hang around the one or two always in charge of say one building! and but try to have an open policy (of an ancient writing) of all agreeing to go to the previously responsible tech FIRST and let them catch it , or with a witness, to them FIRST; and see if a re-fix (or oversight) was done (if bucks and time allow) so ALL LOOK AS GOOD AS SHOULD/ - -

So the prev co tech , with an open mind, did come through again and correct some and spelled out MORE than seen in need. It is such that although I work with one helper on a couple large buildings I sold " bringing in an expert of experience in theses matters" and so we all have benefitted from the previous overseer fixing some oversights ! (Paid them on the spot!)

Tint Ed CT - very encouraging and makes me thinks to work sos harders ! Glad to hear, I lke longer stories: TintDr !
    NCP !

even though a plastic is not as conductive as most metals, did ya ever see a pond coil from res GeoThermal calcs do a process cooling job?
    Later I will post pics of own designed HX coils in 1996 based on 6" on center of 1" poly-e 3408 sdr-11.
    But here's the dope:
    While the local distributor was trying to sell direct a name brand (!) I wrote a PERFORMANCE GUARRANTEED on what I never did in a large scale but tracked for 13 years previously...
    "Cuts that chiller of 25 hp to 3 hp, exact same dT or greater at same gpm of process cooling required! or if 10% off, you keep 20% ( my GP, (then- hah!)) ."
    How doing so the directing engineer who said "ya got 5 minutes, strange person to me"...
    I said I showed you : performance guaranteed, and please check these references who know of other smaller things...
    And I grabbed 5 pens and said I am guaranteeing these 4 back to you in savings or I will rip it out as if you never knew me.
    Little smack of the 5th pen down on the table. He smirked "get out of here".
    Two weeks later installing :
    12 coils x 1" x 420 ft split T-d off a 2 "T to reducing 2" to the 1" PE (lousy GT High KW for this higher Press Drop design) to 6 coils off each half the 2" ALL PLUMBED 500 ft away on the 2" too ! (- not a best, but watch, comparitively).
    I "happened" to additionally run another pair of 2" PE in the 6ft deep by 2ft wide ditch...
    if too much PD , then parallel away! - but that did not happen...
    a 3 hp baldor on a Grundfos such that 53 GPM x 14 deg dT of 96 out and 82 back is what ? compared to a 25 hp (27-30ton) air-cooled chiller?
    NOW COMES HEAT RECOVERY: the Chiller is a BUILDING HEATER when room- facility needs 35 tons of heat ( like a half million gas overhead heater !) only using ~ 22-24 KW COP 5+ !!! When process cooling. They never added a direct dry cooler, but paid for a second pond coil, 7ft dia's 12 on 2" 1100 ft circuit already in ditch the second pair! And added city's first comm offices 16 ton Hydro-Temp GeoThermal 3-staged, dual compressor (small+larger,then3rd stage) AR Manf) utilizing heat-reclaim and that co's patented 1981 priority hot water on demand 9in and out of A/C and process cooling, also heat reclaim from process cooling to space heating the offices 500 yards away.

COOOOL!

Ur right ! It is neat to read - yes around HVAC load designing since 1976, and that's neat too...
    But I would appreciate an only 120 deg attic at times!
    Sweaty dude I was in only 8-10 minutes in and 5 minutes cooling out last summer flex ducting what I undersold for assistants to do... a hot lesson in over 125 degrees!

Hi my name is Gary Robinson and I'm new to these forums. I've been working as a building performance engineer for the last two years. Most the work I do is involves energy auditing and/or testing and balancing.

Most jobs have been commercial properties and/or individual buildings on hospital complexes or military bases. Most of these facilities have large central chiller plants and steam or hot water heating plant.

it has been gr8 after joining dis site...nw I can put my problems and issues ova ere n get d solutions or dat....m learning a lot..thx all

happened to me also...wen i started learning abt hvac i knew nothin..nothin at all and i thought dat if i will sart i will come to knw very easily bt seriously so far m no where still working to get things all together n get involved in phychrometrics,,but its true the more u r involved the more u r into dis stuff.....will lean a lot from dis place...thx to all in advance

currently tryin to get a good hvac system for my project while learning...d more i do d more i learn...

I got my Associates degree in HVAC/R in July 2011. Being the motivated 22 yr old I was then I hit the ground running & started my own business in October 2011. I am in a small town and everyone already knew my name meant customer satisfaction bc of my dad having his own auto repair business my whole life. The only problems i have is following the other 2 companies in my area. Both have been in business since before i was born & both were passed down through the family without proper training & school. I have yet to find an adequate duct system in my area but telling a home owner "Billy Bob" ripped you off is bad business & not my style! Every time i go on a call i want to tell them "There is a book called Manufacturer's Installation Instructions, you should try reading it sometime"

There are issues everywhere. I've seen plumbing solder on high side R-22 lines, condensers set within a foot of the house and a foot of a block fence (3-foot recommended clearance on the label), special ordered units (stripped of delay timer, defrost board, low limit, high limit, start cap) used for large tracts of houses, sloppy fitting "washable" filters that are so porous they stop nothing, run capacitors hanging from the wires under a fan motor, screws run into a condenser tube at the edge of the coil, etc. I normally document the issues, say nothing about who may have done it, and present a plan to correct the issues. What I really hate is not knowing what may have been introduced into the refrigerant without any label or notes -- additives, oil charge, leak stop. Sometimes I can smell it, other times you just don't know. I have routinely followed service companies that added too much R-22 and have had to weigh the charge to correct it.

Quote Originally Posted by JMack13 View Post
    I got my Associates degree in HVAC/R in July 2011. Being the motivated 22 yr old I was then I hit the ground running & started my own business in October 2011. I am in a small town and everyone already knew my name meant customer satisfaction bc of my dad having his own auto repair business my whole life. The only problems i have is following the other 2 companies in my area. Both have been in business since before i was born & both were passed down through the family without proper training & school. I have yet to find an adequate duct system in my area but telling a home owner "Billy Bob" ripped you off is bad business & not my style! Every time i go on a call i want to tell them "There is a book called Manufacturer's Installation Instructions, you should try reading it sometime"
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

I've already seen nearly all of that! It's ridiculous really. If i'm guna make a couple thousand off of somebody the least i can do is follow simple instructions that actually make our job fool proof!

But the duct system designs is still what gets me the most!

I went through a 1 year HVAC-R course when i was 19 was a little younger thought i was hot stuff and had a grasp of the stuff till i got in the field i quickly relized i didnt know half of what i thought i did. Im 26 now and have owned my own res/com heating and air business for awhile now and we are doing great but i still find myself banging my head against the wall trying to figure something out that i should know from time to time............ ... By the way it wont let me update my profile

Page 85 of 113 FirstFirst ... 357578798081828384858687888990919295 ... LastLast