Page 78 of 113 FirstFirst ... 286871727374757677787980818283848588 ... LastLast
Results 1,002 to 1,014 of 1468
    You are so right. There is a lot of opportunity in the commercial aspect of this industry. What I learned fast is reading up on the equipment and knowing what not to do
    I really like being able to help fix when the need arises. The knowledge you build can be applied farther down the road on other jobs. My dad once told me that you can't presume a part won't fail. On troubleshooting that helps a lot.
    Matt

Matt

A tripped breaker. It's those times when it's the simplest of problems that I like the most. You try to figure out what is wrong and remember to start at the beginning.
    It's really good the DOD came through for you.
    Matt.

Hello to everyone.
    I'm new on the forum. My name is Zivko and everyone call me Zika. I'm working 16 years in HVACR field, and still counting. I'm glad to be part of this forum, and I hope I can learn from others and share my experiences with you all.
    Thanks,
    Zika

I Learned a lot being stuck by myself as a maintenance guy with a little votech experience. I read a lot of books ( internet was not around then). After I gained experience I went to work for a mechanical company that was installing and maintaining all kinds of equipment. Geothermal, chillers, boilers, building automation, etc. I have learned plenty in the last 12 years there. I am looking forward to learning more from everyone.

Hello

Hello Everyone, I've been looking through threads for a few weeks and just realized that I need to post in here to introduce myself and build a post count. My name is Joe, and I'm currently enrolled in a trade school. We are a few weeks away from finishing up, and although I've learned a lot, there's so much I don't know. We spent a lot of time with Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (Building, Installing, and Wiring from start to finish, then trouble shooting), and we took our EPA test last week. Now we are just beginning heating. So far we've mostly concentrated on Hydronic Systems. I enjoy looking through threads and seeing what I can figure out, but also get down at times when I have no clue what people are talking about, lol. Hopefully as class continues, I'll find myself less confused.

Finished a 4 Zone Hydronic system in class today using Zone Valves. 1st Zone using copper piping to 2 baseboards, 2nd Zone using pex to 1 baseboard, 3rd Zone to indirect water heater, and 4th Zone to Radiant heating under subfloor.

Name:  IMG_0159.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  59.7 KB

Spent most of class today talking about oil burners, and their control boards, then each person got to take one apart and reassemble it. It was much easier then I would have thought. Toughest part of the project for me was aligning the electrodes. Seemed like every time I had them lined up on the crosshairs of the gauge they were too far apart, and when I moved them closer together they weren't lined up on the crosshairs anymore, lol.

Forgot to mention that we did some sheet metal fabricating towards the end of class today. Although time consuming (we did everything with hand tools), I found it enjoyable. Here is a pic of the first part of the project

Name:  IMG00467-20121114-1628.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  35.0 KB

Still trying to build my post count to get pro access, so here's what we did in class today, lol. Started out with some trouble shooting exercises with the Hydronic systems we built. Instructor sabatoged our systems and we had to figure out what he did. We were able to figure out that he took our jumper out of the oil burner control board so we had no power to B1 B2. He also removed the eye from the burner, and cut our thermostat wire going to our Zone Valves. The cut thermostat wire was the toughest to diagnose because the burner actually came on a ran for a good 10 minutes before it cut out (never reached temp, cut out around 150). I was wondering why the burner came on if it didn't get any call for heat, but the instructor figured that the 2 wires were probably touching enough to conduct the 24v before shaking loose to break the connection. Kind of sucked that I got hung up on that, but I'll do a better job next time.

2nd half of class we did more sheet metal duct work, with some more fabricating and fitting stuff together. My hands are starting to look like I was attacked by a tiger. I guess I need to slow down a little when trying to make tight cuts and fit everything together, lol.

Not much new at class today, did a little more sheet metal work, then we went over the proper way to clean a gas furnace.

"2nd half of class we did more sheet metal duct work, with some more fabricating and fitting stuff together. My hands are starting to look like I was attacked by a tiger. I guess I need to slow down a little when trying to make tight cuts and fit everything together, lol."

I remember getting my hands tore up when I was learning sheet metal.
    Keep up the good work.

I started in the trade in '09. Not long ago at all. I just kinda fell into. I was at a crossroads in life and didn't really know what I wanted to do. I had planned to go to school and become a heavy equipment operator, ultimately wanting to be a crane operator. My wife's grandpa talked me out of this as he'd been a heavy equip. op. all of his life. There were 3 or 4 guys that I'd known since I was a kid that were in HVAC and I got to talking to them and decided that was the route I was gonna take.

I enrolled in the Mechanical Technology program at the local community college and started from there. I've always been mechanically inclined and defeat is just not an option for me, so it was a good fit. I graduated 18 months later with a 4.0 and an Associates Degree in Mech. Tech. I quickly found out that even though I'd had done great in the classroom and lab, there was a LOT I did NOT know. It didn't take me long to realize this. Even though the program was great, there was just no way to be prepared for the real-world challenges that you face in the field. But instead of letting that discourage me, I looked at it as an opportunity and that is why I am here. I have tried to surround myself with experienced and knowledgeable people that know their stuff. After "lurking" around the site for a couple weeks, I seen that there are a lot of guys on here with a wealth of knowledge and experience and I wanted to get in on some of it.

Here's a picture of a walk-in we pieced together, and I mean pieced together, lol. One evap fan was 120v, the other was 220v, had to swap out compressors, because first one had faulty valves, but it was a fun learning experience. Wiring is a bit of a mess, but we're running out of time, so this was more about understanding the wiring and getting the components to work then looking pretty.

Name:  IMG_9084.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  61.5 KB

Page 78 of 113 FirstFirst ... 286871727374757677787980818283848588 ... LastLast