Page 72 of 113 FirstFirst ... 226265666768697071727374757677787982 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve42 View Post
    How do you show other people's post in your post with our answer?
    by clicking on "reply with quote"

Went into business in 1972 with a pickup truck and a tool box. Over the years we have done most everything from commercial refrigeration to Commercial HVAC 1 ton to 100. Boilers water and steam up to 100 hp, everything residential and digital controls.
    We now employ 24 people (more when the economy is good) five service trucks, four installation crews from two locations about 30
    miles apart. Over the years I have started, developed and sold three other residential HVAC businesses.
    I guess the most important thing I've learned is to focus on your core business and things DIRECTLY associated with it.
    Ie; We no longer do refrigeration unless its associated with a large HVAC customer.
    My biggest industry complaint is manufacturers taking the profit out of the service business with free parts.
    Our margins were MUCH bigger 20 years ago.

I'm liking HVAC-Talk I have been helped by members and I hope in some way I have contributed.

Thanks, Terry Hill

Hi everyone I've been in the hvac field for two years with the us navy they sent me to school on base but with civilian teachers who also were teaching at a community college at the same time I received the universal EPA license their also , well I'm about to start the fall semester for my associates in hvacr and my short term goal is to get 100 on all test and quizzes but anyway my mind is wide open so much it's hard to shut it down when it nite nite time. My long term goal is to be working at a nice hospital someone but that can change because theirs so many different fields in hvacr and so much certifications I want them all like pokemon

Ironpit, where in So. Indiana are you? My extended family is from the Jackson county area, most specifically Seymour.

Steve, my sister lives down by you in New Albany, she and her husband work cross the river in Louville and are looking to move closer to work. I need to get down and see them, maybe hop on over to the New Albanian.

I'm in Lawrence county. My daughter and son-in-law live down towards louisville. My daughter is a nurse this side of the river. My son-in-law is a union electrician out of louisville. And a very good one at that! I'm in louisville a lot. Got some good friends down there.

Your sisters' name is Steve?

Quote Originally Posted by Navlex67 View Post
    Hi everyone I've been in the hvac field for two years with the us navy they sent me to school on base but with civilian teachers who also were teaching at a community college at the same time I received the universal EPA license their also , well I'm about to start the fall semester for my associates in hvacr and my short term goal is to get 100 on all test and quizzes but anyway my mind is wide open so much it's hard to shut it down when it nite nite time. My long term goal is to be working at a nice hospital someone but that can change because theirs so many different fields in hvacr and so much certifications I want them all like pokemon
    Welcome to the site! Thanks for your service. My dad was navy in the Korean war.

I probably shouldn't do this, but I'll give you a little inside info.

The ARP section is full of our fighting men.

It would no doubt be of immense value to you to take up station in the ARP section, near the bottom of the main menu.

Sorry, saw Steve42 was from New Albany, figured I'd give a shout out to the New Albanian Brewery. My sister Amanda lives down there. Works as a school librarian.

Hi Everyone,
    I will be getting into HVAC to broaden my knowledge. Right now I'm currently in the water management field working for private company that manages water for the gov. I work as an electronic tech, I'm currently getting ready to take my electricians license, then next semester will be enrolling in HVAC classes hope to maybe to change fields, more demand for ac in my area.

I fell into this job in the small area I was born in.

I graduated High School with C's because I just didn't care. I never went to school for any of this, but here I am; HVAC Technician. Living in California's NORTH COAST, I can say that i have great experience with gas fired furnaces, but very little with air conditioning. All of my experience is on the job, residential systems more often than not. I'm wondering what true field experience/math gurus are out there. I've been in the industry for six years.

First Post

I have been involved in all aspects of this industry. I grew up working for my fathers business sweeping floors and cleaning up jobsites starting when I was 8 years old in the summers. I began working for him in highschool on the co-op program. I ran service calls with my older brother to learn the ropes during the school year. During summer breaks I worked as a new construction plumber and hvac installer. I was a service technician for two different residential companies after my father's business closed in 1996. I was pretty sucessfull in selling add ons and upgrades so when I hurt my back I was moved into a sales position and have been there since. I also had a short stint as an operations manager to help out a friend. I have BPI building analyst training, RESNET training, HVAC air side fundimentals training, Trane's psychrometric training and several more miscellaneous training classes. I am in the early stages of planning to open my own business. I have a good friend with 30+ years of experience that will be a partner. I have used this forum as a resource many time but have not joined until now. I hope to be able to share as much experience and information as I am looking to gain.

I started in the field in '89. Got my EPA card before they were required. I still remember the days when we could change a condensing unit by cutting the lineset and letting it fly! I worked for a few years in The Wash. DC area and then moved back to Minnesota and then to Phoenix. There's a big difference in how service is run around the country. Virginia and Arizona are Right to Work states and Minnesota is union regulated. HUGE difference!

Intro

Well, I did it -- I took the first real step into the HVAC field. Yesterday I signed up for an online course at Ashley College to get my HVAC certification.

I'll probably get kicked for revealing this, but my primary motivation for getting into the field is to help our residential rental business save money. Our margins are thin, and way too much of it gets blown on HVAC issues. Not complaining about honest folks in an honest industry doing their job, but it really bites when we have to pay for service and replacements.

I want to do my own work, just as I already do for electrical, plumbing, and construction. Then, who knows? Maybe I'll branch out to friends, family, neighbors, and other folks. I'll leave open the possibility of starting another business just for HVAC.

Anyway, I'm very excited about learning something new and useful. Looking forward to gaining knowledge from those who have been there and done that before.

Quote Originally Posted by pierre1811 View Post
    I started in the field in '89. Got my EPA card before they were required. I still remember the days when we could change a condensing unit by cutting the lineset and letting it fly! I worked for a few years in The Wash. DC area and then moved back to Minnesota and then to Phoenix. There's a big difference in how service is run around the country. Virginia and Arizona are Right to Work states and Minnesota is union regulated. HUGE difference!
    You had flying condensing units?

I don't believe that is addressed by the EPA. Sounds like an ozone issue!

You probably ought to head to ARP and start a thread on that. It sounds like something the PROFESSIONALS there would like to talk about.
    You can get yourself started out right with the PROFESSIONALS in ARP(ASK REAL PROS) by telling them about your flying condensers!

Let me know how that flies. That's ARP (ask REAL PRO) , near bottom of main menu!

Page 72 of 113 FirstFirst ... 226265666768697071727374757677787982 ... LastLast