Page 66 of 113 FirstFirst ... 165659606162636465666768697071727376 ... LastLast
Results 846 to 858 of 1468
  1. #846
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    40
    I just had an office body spaz out about the cost of 15% silver rods that I order. She could not understand why I can't use the 0% @ $30 vs the 15% @ $210. After a lovely debate about how I've had to repair nearly 50 leaking braze jobs in the last 4 weeks and an estimate of costs involved with labor I think she finally got the picture!

    I thought I have seen it all until I found a braze job done today with plumbers solder!

  2. #847
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    40
    double post

  3. #848
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    12,547

    How do you know what kind of solder it was?

    Some solders result in a stronger connection than the 15% you mention.

    PHM
    ------



    Quote Originally Posted by crbn79 View Post
    I just had an office body spaz out about the cost of 15% silver rods that I order. She could not understand why I can't use the 0% @ $30 vs the 15% @ $210. After a lovely debate about how I've had to repair nearly 50 leaking braze jobs in the last 4 weeks and an estimate of costs involved with labor I think she finally got the picture!

    I thought I have seen it all until I found a braze job done today with plumbers solder!
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  4. #849
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Some solders result in a stronger connection than the 15% you mention.

    PHM
    ------
    Such as the plumbing solder? I'll use a 5% or 0% when I can on an R-22 system if there's no danger to overheating valves etc. But sometimes the potential collateral damage warrants the 15%.

    On a side note, I've been trying a few sticks of 0% from a vendor rep that flows very well at lower heat. I don't recall the name of it but if it holds up I will definitely use more often.

  5. #850
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    12,547

    so how do you know that the solder you saw was plumbing solder?

    How do you know that what you saw wasn't refrigeration solder?

    PHM
    -------


    Quote Originally Posted by crbn79 View Post
    Such as the plumbing solder? I'll use a 5% or 0% when I can on an R-22 system if there's no danger to overheating valves etc. But sometimes the potential collateral damage warrants the 15%.

    On a side note, I've been trying a few sticks of 0% from a vendor rep that flows very well at lower heat. I don't recall the name of it but if it holds up I will definitely use more often.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  6. #851
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    57

    how i got into hvac

    Well my whole life i loved working on things and was always good with tools.
    Ive always been a hard worker and had a job since i was 12 yo. Well needless to say i never made a whole lot of money until after high school i woke up one day and decided to go to school for heating and air conditioning
    with not much thought other than the fact that if i didnt do something soon i probably wouldnt ever go to school. I worked for a very small company for 5 years however they didnt like to do things the 100% correct way always and we butted heads alot. I wont do somthing if its wrong because my name and reputation is all i have. Starting out i didnt know much better and believed what i was told by my boss at that time I was mainly doing residential installs and some service work. After a few years in i really started to disagree with the boss more and more. Ive mainly installed replacement systems and some whole house ductwork (rehab houses mainly)
    Ive also done a couple of new construction homes. I also started doing more side jobs and eventually quit. I now for the last 5 years on my own have been doing a combination of plumbing, electrical, hvac, construction, bobcat and dumptruck service. I am recently downsizing and narrowing down to HVAC only so i can be more productive and focus all of my time on this. Not trying to do a bunch of different types of jobs everyday i should be able to better manage my time and provide better service to my HVAC customers. Also i dont really have anyone to ask in the event i need advice so id really like to be able to talk with people in the field with more experience, which brings me here. Also id love to be able to help other professionals with my own experience. Thanks so much for reading

  7. #852
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    12,547

    Stick with it -

    Nobody can do everything - although I keep trying to - like an idiot.

    Keep at it, learn from whatever you do, and always strive to know Why it's the right thing - not just What the right thing is.

    And remember: we're here for you brother!

    PHM
    ------




    Quote Originally Posted by Brad gall View Post
    Well my whole life i loved working on things and was always good with tools.
    Ive always been a hard worker and had a job since i was 12 yo. Well needless to say i never made a whole lot of money until after high school i woke up one day and decided to go to school for heating and air conditioning
    with not much thought other than the fact that if i didnt do something soon i probably wouldnt ever go to school. I worked for a very small company for 5 years however they didnt like to do things the 100% correct way always and we butted heads alot. I wont do somthing if its wrong because my name and reputation is all i have. Starting out i didnt know much better and believed what i was told by my boss at that time I was mainly doing residential installs and some service work. After a few years in i really started to disagree with the boss more and more. Ive mainly installed replacement systems and some whole house ductwork (rehab houses mainly)
    Ive also done a couple of new construction homes. I also started doing more side jobs and eventually quit. I now for the last 5 years on my own have been doing a combination of plumbing, electrical, hvac, construction, bobcat and dumptruck service. I am recently downsizing and narrowing down to HVAC only so i can be more productive and focus all of my time on this. Not trying to do a bunch of different types of jobs everyday i should be able to better manage my time and provide better service to my HVAC customers. Also i dont really have anyone to ask in the event i need advice so id really like to be able to talk with people in the field with more experience, which brings me here. Also id love to be able to help other professionals with my own experience. Thanks so much for reading
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  8. #853
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    36
    I love this business! It's something new everyday, especially getting to know custmers and their story....I am blessed.....

  9. #854
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by crbn79 View Post
    I just had an office body spaz out about the cost of 15% silver rods that I order. She could not understand why I can't use the 0% @ $30 vs the 15% @ $210. After a lovely debate about how I've had to repair nearly 50 leaking braze jobs in the last 4 weeks and an estimate of costs involved with labor I think she finally got the picture!

    I thought I have seen it all until I found a braze job done today with plumbers solder!
    All I use is 15% it flows nice and I have never had a leak, always checking my welds with a mirror helps lol

  10. #855
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    8
    Howdy fellas this is my first post here. I left working a factory @ age 22 left factory work to pursue degree in electrical and graduated. Landed a job with a small local school system working on everything electrical and mechanical including hvacr. After a supervisor change somehow my main purpose for the system became hvac. Was reluctant at first but have found that im fascinated by it and reading and learning all that i can about the industry.

  11. #856
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Rutherford,NJ
    Posts
    15
    Hi all, This is my first post. I've been in the business since 95. I've done commercial hvac my whole life and recently started getting into residential. And I don't know why?????? I've done service my whole life and have recently started working working with a friend of mine who does alot of duct installs. Needless to say it's a whole new world for me. I only recently found this site and thought it would be a great way to freshen up the old brain. I'm pretty excited to be apart of it. Talk to you all soon!!!!

  12. #857
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    36
    Gotta be a different world for you commercial ductwork is mostly in drop ceilings...hope you like crawlspaces...New constructon commercial work is in the crapper, I've seen alot guys go residential lately.....

  13. #858
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    114
    Just joined the site. I have been in Commercial/Industrial HVAC for about 9 years. I work on almost everything, but I dont know everything. I'm constantly in over my head, but always fix the problem with some research and good HVAC practices.
    Working my way into a Senior Tech position and I need to step up my knowledge. Thats why I'm here, for extra info and help. I work on stuff from 1-250 tons, Boilers, Chillers, Towers, VFD's, Boxcar units etc.

Page 66 of 113 FirstFirst ... 165659606162636465666768697071727376 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event