Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son View Post
    I did not know that was possible.
    Tis true, I am quite the stable and rational sort
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Smile Maybe a sample . . . ?

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    No thread should ever be about "how long does it take".

We, on the Membership Committee go through a lot of unnecessary work to determine if applicants are qualified or not, simply because we get so little basic information sometimes.

The Membership Committee very much appreciates those applicants who have provided enough information that we don't have to go searching for things such as licensing, areas of expertise in the industry or even your correct HVAC-Talk.com username.

As in everything else in our industry, the quality of your application is determined by the amount of usable information provided. When we get garbage input, we only have garbage to work with.

This week alone, we have received a minimum of a dozen applications that do not qualify for pro-application for very basic lack of input from the applicants.
    1) - Thanks for approving my application.

2) - For what it's worth, I thought I'd be a week or more getting to 15 posts. Took me a couple days guys. While I was able to provide some 'helpful' posts, I mostly found threads that were of value to me and thought about what I might be able to contribute either in observation or question. If I'm not overstepping here: check my posts for examples.

3) - Again, hope I'm not out of line here, but perhaps a filled out 'model' application as a sticky post? As simple as the process is, sometimes the concrete 'picture' is worth WAY more than the thousand words of 'abstract' instruction.

Quote Originally Posted by walklong View Post
    1) - Thanks for approving my application.

2) - For what it's worth, I thought I'd be a week or more getting to 15 posts. Took me a couple days guys. While I was able to provide some 'helpful' posts, I mostly found threads that were of value to me and thought about what I might be able to contribute either in observation or question. If I'm not overstepping here: check my posts for examples.

3) - Again, hope I'm not out of line here, but perhaps a filled out 'model' application as a sticky post? As simple as the process is, sometimes the concrete 'picture' is worth WAY more than the thousand words of 'abstract' instruction.
    This is a great example of exactly what I am trying to get across. A newbie posts, a newbie learns, and a nebie teaches, all in a very short amount of time.

Walklong, thanks for setting the example. NOW! don't ever question how we word our applications again!!!!

Obiously, I am kidding. Get used to that as well.

We will certainly consider any suggestion as to what will make the application process easier, including this one. Thanks again, walklong
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

New to the site and to the trade. I've been in the trade for 6 months know. Love it and never been happier. Really the trade of all trades. I went through a vocational school program. Started out working for a residental company for about a month then went commercial. And now here I am about to get service truck.

I've been doing a lot of inspections condemed 3 heat exchangers friday, and a ignition module. Pretty good day for a rookie. I had a bryant rtu jumped out to w-1 had spark but would not fire. I was reading the wiring diagram when the fuse on the circuit board blew. When I replaced it everything was fine and the unit fired off. Kinda of a weird chain of events. This was over a week ago and the heats been running just fine since. Any idea's on that chain of events.

Hey everyone. When i was 16 i worked at a grocery store as a dairy/frozen stock clerk. Our walk in freezer would go down every once in a while and i would have to let the HVACR service mechanic in to troubleshoot the problem. I looked at what he did everyday and thought to myself i'm glad I don't have to worry about that equipment. At the time i was going to school for a assiocates degree in cnc machining. I got my degree and got a job in the field, i worked as a machinist for a year when i saw the writing on the wall. First, many of the work was getting exported to china, Second it would take me a long time to make a decent wage, Third i was just plain bored. My dads friend was a maintainence mechanic who worked on lathes and mills and i thought i would give that a shot. I worked as a mechanic on cnc machinary for about another year when i got laided off due to the economy. I was furious about getting let go but it was a blessing in disguise. I ran into a guy at church who was a hvacr mechanic and he suggested that I go to school for it. I went back to school and got a assiocates degree for hvac. I loved the classes and the challenge. I got hired at a hvacr company doing commercial and industrial service work. At first i was just helping other mechanics doing jobs. After six months they threw me in a van and i started running service. I love going to work everyday and can honestly say i found my niche. My wife looks at me like i'm crazy because i'll work a 12 hour day and come home and read hvac books,do research and check out this site. I am a hvac nerd who wants to keep learning. I'm glad i found this site its just what this hvac nerd has been looking for. p.s the irony is I ran into the mechanic i used to see at my grocery store job....he's a co-worker of mine. lol

Hey Beast, awesome story there! With ambition like that(I am the same way) maybe you should come to the darker side of nerdom and become a Controls Integr8r...
    When it is said that BacNet is a better protocol than LonWorks, I die a little more inside.
    ~knottyjabe

I began taking hvac classes at a community college and found refrigeration a bit more interesting . I met a guy in class who worked in the field and i was lucky enough to get a job there. It was a medium sized company that mainly did supermarkets. I found it very interesting and difficult. I had the worst three months of my life to be trying to service this equipment with no hands on experience or training. Tge company belived in sink or swim. No time or money to train. So i read as much as possible and asked a million questions. I finished up community college program and went to another community college to take there hvacr course and thats when in started
    clivking for me . Going to school as i wad in the field brought it together for me. I was able to apply what i learned and they had teachers who had supermarket experience which i was lucky to have since then ive stuck to this trade and it has payed off. I enjoy what i do and im always trying to learn more because there is so much tolearn.

Today i got to change an oil seperator. It had a turboshed and we determined it wasnt feeding all compressors off on oil failure no oil or pressure coming from the oil supply line. Couldnt be cleaned out because it is a sealed unit. We put in a helical seperator with removable float and external oil reservoir. Very interesting job glad i got to be involved in it.

Quote Originally Posted by referkid View Post
    I began taking hvac classes at a community college and found refrigeration a bit more interesting . I met a guy in class who worked in the field and i was lucky enough to get a job there. It was a medium sized company that mainly did supermarkets. I found it very interesting and difficult. I had the worst three months of my life to be trying to service this equipment with no hands on experience or training. Tge company belived in sink or swim. No time or money to train. So i read as much as possible and asked a million questions. I finished up community college program and went to another community college to take there hvacr course and thats when in started
    clivking for me . Going to school as i wad in the field brought it together for me. I was able to apply what i learned and they had teachers who had supermarket experience which i was lucky to have since then ive stuck to this trade and it has payed off. I enjoy what i do and im always trying to learn more because there is so much tolearn.
    Supermarkets are tough. They usually have no backup storage space so everything is ASAP.
    Working these units don't compromise on the vacuum before you charge it. These systems have to last. I would typically hook up that pump and walk away give it at least 3 hours if your on a long line set.

Yea the asap aspect of markets is very true. Thats another reason i like markets they understsnd the urgency of the repair so approvals are quick.

My Story

Hello Everyone,
    Well, Honestly HVAC was not my first career choice. Coming fresh out of high school(00') I wanted go into Computer Networking. Started taking classes at Strayer University. Got a job at a local super market stocking shelves. After 3 months there I couldn't take it anymore. My step brother was doing HVAC at a small company. I quit my job and started working with him the next day. Two weeks later he quit, go figure. After a year of Tin Knocking during the day and Strayer classes at night. I realized I loved my HVAC job. I loved working with my hands and the satisfaction of completing the job at hand. Gave up on Computer Networking and 11 years later, I have my Masters License and Sr. Tech at my job. I mainly do residential but have much Light Commercial and Refrigeration experience. My goal is to start my own HVAC company in a few years. Slowly picking up customers along the way.

Look forward to adding my to the forum.

My dad has been a commercial HVAC guy for 31 years he started at the company we both now work for the day after I was born. I started working with him when I was12 doing some repairs and installs for family and friends. When I turned 16 I was the company runner during the summers. When I turned 17 went to school to be an engineer in Florida came home and helped on the commercial install crew for 2 summers. That didn't really go as expected so I got a job working for a residential company in Florida. I moved home when I turned 21 and have been doing commercial service ever since. I love my job we work on such a variety of equipment I am constantly learning new things. Lately I have been working on allot of Lennox energence Manatowoc indigo Scotsman prodigy.

Page 44 of 113 FirstFirst ... 343738394041424344454647484950515494 ... LastLast