Page 1 of 104 123456781151101 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Welcome to all New Guests going Pro? Do not post equipment questions in this forum

There is a 15 post rule for the Membership Committee to process your application for Professional Membership here. "Joy" posting doesn't count.

So, how do you bring your post count up and give pertinent information for the MC to consider? Easy, post in this thread about your experiences and the jobs you have been on. Speak to each other about how and why you decided to get into this business and how you expect to advance in this trade. Tech School?? Talk about your classes and what you were taught.

Before you know it your 15 will be 60. Good luck and Welcome to H-Talk.

Last edited by Dad; 09-11-2013 at 05:22 PM.

Well, it all started when I was just a and I would take my toys apart and couldn't figure out how to get them back together again....so I would tell mom I needed new toys. Eventually dad said to quit taking them apart unless I could figure out how to put them back together.

Many, many years later I had this same problem with my first experience with a Lennox "Whisper Heat"... Had to call a senior tech out to show me how to put that darn thing back together again.

I still love taking things apart...luckily for the customers, I can put them back together properly now!

Okay, I started for you new guys...get your posts up by sharing your experiences in the hvac field and let's get you moving toward the pro membership.

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

After earning an Associates in the HVAC program at the community college, I hit the streets and pounded the pavement. Took me 5 months to land a job in this field, and after 3 months of residential install, the company went out of business. And I was back pounding the pavement. My second job was a more stable company and things were going great. So I thought. This turned out to be another 3 month endevour for me. Soon as work slowed down, I was told I wasn't up to speed as the rest of the Installers, and let go. Last one hired, first one fired, I suppose? For the time being, I'm a delivery driver and my Boss said he doesn't want to let me go. Work is really slowing down, so we'll see how that pans out. The service manager spoke with me briefly about training as a tech, but nothing is concrete.
    I believe with repetition and time, I could be a good Installer. But its not really what I want to do. I like the mental challenge and problem solving of Service. Work is work, and I'll do whatever they want me to do. I just hope that with hard work and alot of patience, I end up doing what I'd like to do. Been tougher than I thought it was going to be, having went to school for HVAC work. I am coming to understand that, this doesn't carry much weight out in the field. I plan to keep pushing, and bust my ass to get where I want to go. I'm sure I'll get there. Joining this sight is another step I'm taking to achieve this. Thank all of you for sharing knowledge, opinion, and encouragement. Pretty cool that this sight is here for us to share info. With Appreciation and Respect.

Keep at it Klay, your determination and attitude will pay off in the long run...don't give up!

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

Klay,
    welcome!
    Nice post. I believe the HVAC degree you earned counts for a lot! It shows that you made an investment and a commitment! This field is like a marriage, the more you invest and commit, the better it gets. Installing leads to service. You install it and wire it and start it up. Then when it does not start, you troubleshoot it!

keep up the hard work and again welcome!

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Klay View Post
    After earning an Associates in the HVAC program at the community college, I hit the streets and pounded the pavement. Took me 5 months to land a job in this field, and after 3 months of residential install, the company went out of business. And I was back pounding the pavement. My second job was a more stable company and things were going great. So I thought. This turned out to be another 3 month endevour for me. Soon as work slowed down, I was told I wasn't up to speed as the rest of the Installers, and let go. Last one hired, first one fired, I suppose? For the time being, I'm a delivery driver and my Boss said he doesn't want to let me go. Work is really slowing down, so we'll see how that pans out. The service manager spoke with me briefly about training as a tech, but nothing is concrete.
    I believe with repetition and time, I could be a good Installer. But its not really what I want to do. I like the mental challenge and problem solving of Service. Work is work, and I'll do whatever they want me to do. I just hope that with hard work and alot of patience, I end up doing what I'd like to do. Been tougher than I thought it was going to be, having went to school for HVAC work. I am coming to understand that, this doesn't carry much weight out in the field. I plan to keep pushing, and bust my ass to get where I want to go. I'm sure I'll get there. Joining this sight is another step I'm taking to achieve this. Thank all of you for sharing knowledge, opinion, and encouragement. Pretty cool that this sight is here for us to share info. With Appreciation and Respect.
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

[QUOTE=when it does not start, you troubleshoot it!

keep up the hard work and again welcome!

Frank[/QUOTE]

and when Ican not trouble shoot 'it' ? I have learned to admit that and go to question mode....

I've been in and out of this business for over 30 years. Somehow I keep going back to it. My suggestion is to find a nitch. Read up on ice machines and advertise a cleaning business do it on off hours Sundays etc. Believe me your phone will ring, that will bring you other contacts etc etc............ Best of luck

Frank

be thankfull you have work. I live in a place that for all practical purposes is an island. Very isolated. I've been in this business for 11yrs doing both install & service. Lately (the past 4 or 5 yrs) the work available in my area has fallen off to nothing. Even for other contractors. Now, I don't have certifications yet but I consider myself a trouble shooter. Not super intelligent but certainly above average. My experiences working under my mentor (shout-out to BnH Services) have always been thought provoking, never simple. My mentor (with 40yrs exp.) & I also enjoy disecting... everything. We also conduct experiments to better understand operational processes. Our latest venture is a fhp. New exp valves, good airflow, works good in cooling, goes into high pres. lockout in heating. Liqid pressure builds quickly but no signs of restriction (ie: frosting @ blockage or temp differentials in line). Any thoughts before I creat a simulation unit with valves all over to mock variables?

If it is running find in cooling, but locks out on HP in heat, there is something not quite right in the circuit on what would at that point be the condensing side. Where in the circuit is the HP switch? Could there be a problem with the Reversing Valve? Were there any major problems before putting the new valves in?

I just realized this is in the wrong place.. Can admin move it to the proper place?
    Last edited by CRussell1975; 10-14-2011 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Reply in wrong place.

Well hello guys,
    I'm currently a "Refer Mech" in the Marine Corps and have been working in this field for about three years. My family runs a general automotive shop in TX and I was raised working on various types of equipment as well as the "do it all" roofing, plumbing,...etc. So really I started learning about refrigeration on vehicles through my father when I was a young kid.

Anyways I had passed over this site a couple of times at work and, since I'm taking classes to prepare to reintegrate with civilian life, I figured some members here could help me determine the best route to take for education and expanding my practical knowledge. I had already planned to continue college and pursue a degree in Mechanical Engineering but I hadn't considered Refrigeration Engineering until, well today.

I took HVAC in high school and college then was surprised when i got out of college that it didnt really mean that much to some of the places i applied.I ended up finding a commercial service company who was looking for young employees to train.I wouldnt take anything for my schooling but I learned a whole lot more on the job.I think school helped me alot as far as teaching me theory etc,but real world experience will be you best friend.

Hey Everybody!

I've been gone for several months...during that time I changed jobs, worked to get my CDL with school bus endorsement, taken the classes that allow you to transport pupils, and more on topic for here, completed the "core" part of my classes for the 734hr HVAC school I am attending.

I am looking forward to my labs while working on the online part of the class, learning gas laws, how to figure cfm, all the basics.

The last quarter of 2011 was a blur. I hope to start hanging around more now that I am actually doing something related to HVAC.

Roy

Keep at it buddy. You'll find your way sooner or later. In this economic climate work is work. Just be happy to have it at all. As far as your degree.. nothing matters more than on the job experience. Good luck.

Page 1 of 104 123456781151101 ... LastLast