Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: wow, lost that much propane? ouchy

Originally posted by dogturd
    >>Case in point... I bought a 3500 gallon LP tank from a >guy last July. I shopped around, found the best price and >put 2500 gallons in the tank. 2 days later I came home to >find the tank manway blew off and all the gas with it.

That is a major financial loss, I feel for you. But let me ask this question: If I lease the tank, and a malfunction occurs and I lose the gas, I know the supplier will fix the tank, but will they reimburse me for the lost fuel? My first thought is NO, but I could be wrong.
    Around here (New Hampshire), you would be reimbursed. At least by all the major dealers.
    Noonne wants that kind of publicity.

Originally posted by lakeman1234
    I would reomend renting a tank. If someting goes wrong the propane company is responsible for it. Our 250 gal tanks rent for $30 a year. It is true that you are locked into buying from that propane company. However the prices around here are not that much different between propane companies. We do a prebuy where we buy how much propane we think we will need all winter long for one steady price. This is usually the price of propane around August or September. Your banking on the fact that the propane will go up in price not down. Seems to be a good bet that propane will not go down in the winter. Right now my prepay price is about $ 0.25 lower than the current market price.
    Another thing to consider is to have the propane company automatically fill the tank when it gets low. Around here if you are set up to only have them fill it when you authroize it, and you let the tank go empty they will charge you extra to do a leak test when they fill it. They told me it was something to do with libality insurance in case there was a leak causing the tank to go empty. Seems like BS to me. On the other hand if they are supose to keep it filled and they let it go empty then it's no charge for the leak test.
    We are required to do leak test when the tank is empty because in years gone by, undetected leaks have flattened houses. Insurance companies mandate that you keep a record of leak checks. Insurance is expensive enough. Just because you think its BS doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12