Hmm

I HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU TECH'S HOW CAN YOU PULL RETURN AIR FOR A GAS FIRED FURANCE RIGHT NEXT TO AND IN THE SAME ROOM AS THE FURNACE AND WATER HEATER WITH IN 5 FT OF THE RETURN AIR.I'VE GOT SOME (HOMEOWNER)ENGINEER THAT HAS THE BRIGHT IDEA THAT ITS BETTER THAT WAY FOR THE HOLE COMFORT!
    ANY BODY GOT AN ANSWER I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE THE INSIGHT THAT I'M MISSING HERE, THANKS Y'ALL

Whats the problem? The systems return duct is ceiled and so is the blower cabinet. If its a tight home, then combustion air is taken from outside.
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

no the duct work is opened at the reurn duct,he took out a 4 ft section at the return in the same room nothing is seald thats the problem

Are you saying the return air grill is that close or just the ducting itself? Typically you must be at least 10 feet from any fireplace, kitchen or any other source of combustion. Now if it is a sealed return duct no problem. Also you cannot be in a kitchen, bathroom or mechanical room with a return grill.
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

Originally posted by blacksheep
    no the duct work is opened at the reurn duct,he took out a 4 ft section at the return in the same room nothing is seald thats the problem
    And he, being an engineer, can't grasp the concept of the effect of return air upon a natural draft furnace with no outside combustion air source other than the air shared by the same room as the furnace?

Hmm...what kind of engineer is he? I'll try to avoid his bridges or airplanes if I know.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

As hard as it may be to believe, in many parts of the country this is legal because it is allowed by code. This is no different than having a furnace in a closet with a full louvered door for combustion air and a return grill right next to it and that is done by just about everyone because it is code. It don't work, won't work, can't work but as long as it is code it doesn't seem to matter. As long as it doesn't kill anyone and only makes them sick it seems to be okay for the time being. I like this almost as much as furnaces installed in garages with leaky blower doors, cabinets and leaky return ducts. As long as the burners are high enough as not to ignite the gasoline the exhaust fumes from the vehicles is of little concern. Pull the car in the garage with the blower running and watch the CO in the house rise but because it is code it is legal.
    captain CO

hard to believe but he's a machanical engineer hard to believe

Might want your Engineer to check Section M1602 0f the IRC 2003 M1602.2 Prohibited Spaces.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat. (President Theodore Roosevelt)

LET'S SEE WHAT MIGHT BE WRONG? FIRST THAT ENGINEER IS STUPID. HE DOES NOT HAVE A CLUE. REMIND HIM OF CARBON MONOXIDE AND WHAT IT DOES OR JUST GIVE HIM SOME EXPOSURE TO POINT HE IS REALLY SICK. THENHAVE HIM EXPLAIN IT IN TECHNICAL TERMS TO HIMSELF. I WAS OUT LAST NIGHT FOR STUPID STUFF SO WHEN I READ THIS THREAD IT ANGERED ME SO AM I SHOUTING.

If its an exisitng sytem, pull the blower door open about half way (or block half of it off) and use a match at the w/h draft hood. Make sure both appliances are on and hot. Show him that it aint venting out.

I would 1st ,turn off the furnace and get a licsesed company to hook the return air up according to code.And seal it up air tight.
    2nd, fire the engineer. Hes not qualified to install a heating system. He's already endangering lives possibly by his methods. (Does he have major insurance ?) Does he have a HVAC licsense? Is he getting a permit and having it inspected?
    never say never