Thread: Interning

Hybrid View

Question

Getting ready to go on internship and im afraid that I won't know enough and the journeyman will think im a idiot. I've only had introduction to airconditioning and elecrical controls. I don't really think that i know much at all about the refrigeration part. Will someone please tell me that alot of it has to do with years of experience.

I don't really think that i know much at all about the refrigeration part. Will someone please tell me that alot of it has to do with years of experience.
    Experience and ability go hand in hand. You can have a guy ride around in a service van for years and still not be as good as a younger (as in time in the field vs. age) tech that's sharp, that learns quickly from experience not to keep repeating mistakes, or continue bad habits once he learns of their consequences.

If you're riding with a journeyman, learn fast when you're helpful to him and when you're in his way. If you whittle down the latter, he may be more willing to impart what he's learned over the years to you. IOW, make his day go easier - he may not be all that crazy about having a ridealong as it is - but don't be overbearing. Chances are you'll get a lot out of this time together.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Re: Intern

Thanks alot. do you have any other tips for me for the first few days i start and the rest of the time im on internship to help out. Like pet pevs what not to do and what to do

I'll share with you what I've told ever single prospective tech I've had ride with me:

1. You have 2 ears, 2 eyes and one mouth for a reason.
    2. If you don't know something, be up front about it.
    3. Ask before you light up in my van.
    4. I'm not your wife, don't ***** at me.
    5. Learn the politics and the personalities in the company before you comment on anything.
    6. Show up on time and plan on working until I'm done for the day.
    7. Don't second guess my decisions or work methods, you'll get to make the decisions as soon as they stick you in your own van.
    8. Don't recount my decisions or work methods to other techs, it is none of their business how I go about my day.
    9. Respect our relationship, if you do I'll teach you till the cows come home and give you the shirt off my back... Diss me and you are on your own... Stab me in the back and your life will be living hell.
    10. Ask the right questions at the right time... 3:00 on Friday when we still have 3 calls to do is not the right time.

shop and hound hit it right on the head for you
    show him you want to learn and not just stopping by
    be yourself and dont try to overimpress him. if you are told to watch and listen and learn then do it
    if told to go get something from the truck get it and fast dont make him wait. if i have to wait i might as well get it my self. stay off the cell phone with your girl friend
    i throught my first boss was nuts when he told me just do what i tell you and watch and learn. man what i learned with out knowing just by doing what i was told
    with in three months i was makeing square to rounds duct work reducers and albows to also installing them to. turned out he was an instructer with the sheet medal workers international my point is if he thinks you are there for the long run he will teach you everything he knows. if he does teach you one piece of advise keep it to your self and dont pass it arround to the rest if he wants then to know he will tell them. if i find a guy i think is worth it i will teach him and show him things others may not know and i tell him when time comes he will pass it on
    till then it is for him only. there are a lot of good tinknockers out there to. the rest you will learn as you go
    good luck and welcome to the trade
    be good be fair and be honest

I hate training new green techs. Probably beacase my company hires them and then expects the world from them. I have a huge job to do tomorrow that HAS to be done tomorrow. Who do they send me...the new guy, he doesn't even have any tools yet. I plan on leaving the job at 5 done or not.
    How much is it an hour?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by nutshell
    I hate training new green techs. Probably beacase my company hires them and then expects the world from them. I have a huge job to do tomorrow that HAS to be done tomorrow. Who do they send me...the new guy, he doesn't even have any tools yet. I plan on leaving the job at 5 done or not.

I'll asume you have valid reasons for the attitude.I'd let the powers that be know theres a problem(s),it's only fair.

Thank you all for your input it is greatly appreciated

Originally posted by dash
    Originally posted by nutshell

I'll asume you have valid reasons for the attitude.I'd let the powers that be know theres a problem(s),it's only fair.
    Don't get me wrong, we were ALL green at one time and I do everything I can to help the new guys. I just can't stand it when a guy w/ ten years under his belt leaves and he is replaced with someone right out of trade school, and is expected to perform as a ten year pro. It makes it very tough for the expierienced guys in the field.
    How much is it an hour?