Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Propane specifics from my supplier

Doc, here are the specs that I was able to get from my supplier. However, the guy was puzzled about the questions, and he indicated that "propane is propane, and the installer should already know these specs". But anyhow, he supplied:

Specific gravity: 1.50
    BTU rate: 99,000 per (something, I forgot to write it down).

Does this help?

no. the spec gravity is fine, the btuhs isnt. and while Propane is Propane, you are buying LP and all LP aint created equal.

DOC, I am confused

Doc, this is what you said:

>I tell you this friend. Do yourself a favor and contact >your LP supplier, find out the btuh content and the >specific gravity of the fuel they supply. Since you are >on LP, the operation of the furnace is truely depended on >applying the LP conversion correctly. Feel free to post >the info here. Also ask them for an oriface chart
    >(15,000) btuh's for their fuel.

Now, when I spoke to the guy at my LP supplier, he seemed both confused and entertained, as I seemed to be asking silly questions of him. He indicated that my installer should know all of these answers, or they would be published in the install manual. And you are telling me that although the S.G. is correct, that the BTUH is wrong.

Am I asking the right question to the right person? He said that the orifice chart is part of the conversion manual for the LP kit, and not something they supply. Now of course there is a chart with the kit, but when I pressed him for the corresponding info from him regarding LP, he said "there aint no such animal from any supplier, not just us....". But he said he would be happy to talk with my installer and clear up any questions. Either I got a bozo on the phone, or I was asking the questions wrong. Could you review what you said above and perhaps clarify for me on the question of BTUH of the fuel?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I cant do much for you here. you have burners rated at 15,000 btuhs, If your supplier cant anser the question as to what their own btuh content is, I dont know what to say.

Hopefully your installer has the information he needs.

I personally dont take the installation and proper set up a furnace, heat pump, boiler or any other heating or cooling system lightly as there are many variables. It's not like istalling a dishwasher where you supply water, electricity, and a drain and it works. DIY's and the Jack Legs of this industry dont understand the dynamics of proper combustion, airflow, efficiency, and performance that is designed into the equipment. They (I'm sterotyping) typicly believe that this equipment is set up from the factory to meet their needs. The installation and set up are 90% of the battle.

I'm not suggesting this is rocket science but in comparison, if I didnt know the wieght, combustion and thrust characteristics, of a given fuel, how would I know what I need to do to get the rocket into outerspace? Odds are, I would geuss and increase the chances of that rocket falling short and plummiting to earth in a ball of fire. Simmilarly, If I dont know what kind of fuel is being pumped into a furnace, a guess would probably leave me with a furnace that will likely fall short of proper operation, and fail.

Good luck and Godspeed

Doc, thanks for the background info, I understand completely and agree with what you said. An analogy is the proper jetting of a carburettor for a gas engine. There is "within specs" to allow operation, and then there is "spot on target" and adjusted to perfection. Certainly I would like to achieve perfection, as I am assuming that the result is long life, smooth operation and maximum efficiency.

So to clarify, the proper question is "what is the BTUH specification of your LP". Is this phrased correctly ?

Now, there is a chart in the LP conversion guide that lists the Annual Average Heat Value (btu per ft*3 (i.e. cubed, sq ft), with ranges from 850 to 1170 and its corresponding Gas Orifice size, which varies greatly between #38 to #47 depending on altitude and Avg Heat Value of the gas.

However, for LP, there is the statement:
    "LP Gas is a manufactured gas that has consistent heating value across most regions." (Maryland being my region). This is followed by an orifice chart that lists the size being #54 from altitude 0 through 7000 ft, and 8 to 10k ft is #55. FYI I am at about 300 ft altitude, as measured by an accurate GPS reciever. Given that information, should I also ask the question "is your LP providing standard or non-standard BTUH?". I value your input, please enlighten me.

By the way, I had the install done yesterday for the Rheem RGRK 100k btu. Everything is fine, took about 6 hours. The installers liked that I cleaned up the area for them and gave them plenty of room to work with, and they also commented that the ductwork seemed to be a quality job, with nice rounded contours on the upflow hood to the main trunk. The new unit is only 34" high, so it is a bit smaller that the previous unit. The only problem is that they did not test the humidifier, and it does not work. The solenoid is not being activated, so no water. They wil come out and fix it in the next few days.

You better reread your instructions 54 is for an 80% furnace. Good way to burn your house down.

So are you suggesting your installer didnt do a proper start up on this furnace? Call him back to do the conversion properly.

[Edited by docholiday on 04-02-2005 at 01:02 PM]

Rut-ohhhhhhhhhhh
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Reminds me....

I said to my wife, we ought to go to dinner....
    She siad "Right-o" in here bloody english accent....

We can get some desert to bring home...
    She said Right-o...

I said we can pick up a movie for later...
    she said Right-o...

I asked why do you keep saying "Right-o"?...

She said, "cause yer standin on my right toe"

Astro....The Jetsons

Yeah I was thinking the same thing but it reminded me of the joke.

you meant RuhRoh

you could be right. I'm not sure how astro spelled it. I'll check into it.

Looked it up not AStro after all....Scooby Do and it was Rut-oh.http://humor.about.com/od/scoobydoo/

[Edited by twilli3967 on 04-02-2005 at 03:28 PM]

Good joke Doc...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234