Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Fubar'ed big time $$ wise, parts not avail

Well, as somebody predicted, parts are not available for the Ruud UGED series. I hope somebody familier with Ruud can confirm that, but the service provider I have been dealing with for years says that the model is EOL and the burner assembly is not available. Apparently Ruud did have a recall on that unit at one time, but with parts not available, it cannot be fixed. I AM getting a $375 credit towards a new Rheem unit (Ruud and Rheem now being the same company, for those few not aware of that..).

Having called the local distributer and social engineered my way through the system, I got the same story from a different rep. Any confirmation from somebody on the board?

As for the burner assembly, just for grins and giggles I subjected the "slag" deposits to a magnet, and they are ferrous. Where the iron/steel came from is beyond me, as the heat exchanger is in good shape, and the flue is PVC. Additionally, the vent pipes do not have iron ore deposits hanging underneath, so if somebody has a hint as to where the iron deposits came from to contaminate the burner assembly, I would be happy to listen.

So I have my choice between a Rheem RGRJ 100 btu, 92% efficient, 20 year HX/5 year warranty, or a Rheem RGRA with a lifetime HX warranty. Other than the warranty length, I cannot tell the difference between them. Suggestions on a replacement model from Rheem ? Is a dual speed model save energy over a single speed? Other benifits? Guidance please. Also, the total installed price is $1990 for the RGRJ unit, I am getting prices tommorrow for the higher model...this is after the $375 credit. And an Aprilair 400 humidifier is $400 installed, which I thought was high considering I can get it for about $150-$170 I think via a 'net reseller.
    Opinions on the pricing are welcome.

I am going to keep the old unit and strip it of parts, to try to recoup $100-200 on the IFC board, blower motors, etc.

You should be able to buy that furnace online for about 425.87 plus shipping.

the website is http://www. Imacheapskate.com
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

No pricing allowed on this website.

Rheem and Ruud have always been the same co, as far as I know.

Parts are no longer available.

There never was or ever has been, a recall on that furnace.

Scrap the furnace no one wil give you money for the furnace or its parts. Actually the board, inducer, and burner orfice have to go back for warranty. Unless this has changed in the last year.

I have never replaced a heat exchanger in the newer Rheem units except for one and it was an install problem, running on l.p. with no conversion kit.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

The last time I checked on burner parts for one of those they were unavailable then, about 5 years ago.

we aren't allowed to discuss pricing here but it doesn't sound like you are getting hurt any to me. If possible go with the 2 stage model, quieter and less obtrusive.

More info, and Thanks for the website

Twilli, thanks. I went there, and discovered that you are the founder of that company. Dont you think that is a conflict of interest to be promoting your website on this board? And your pricing is wrong, its actually 398.10. But since they do not take credit cards, only money transfers, it might be a scam...

As for a two-stage furnance with my original guy, I would have to wait about 2 weeks as there are not any in the area.

I got another call this morning from the owner, and he said that he found the burner assembly! However, it was over $700 for the part, which sounds outrageous.

Re: Fubar'ed big time $$ wise, parts not avail

Originally posted by dogturd
    Well, as somebody predicted, parts are not available for the Ruud UGED series. I hope somebody familier with Ruud can confirm that, but the service provider I have been dealing with for years says that the model is EOL and the burner assembly is not available. Apparently Ruud did have a recall on that unit at one time, but with parts not available, it cannot be fixed. I AM getting a $375 credit towards a new Rheem unit (Ruud and Rheem now being the same company, for those few not aware of that..).

Many of the parts are indeed unavailable or limited in production. Sometimes its just a matter of assembling parts that make up a kit. Ruud did not have a recall on that unit, the one recalled was I think RGEC not RGED.

Take the 375 credit and apply it towards the RGRK if you can wait. (Or UGRK). I have this in my house and will surely recommend it. The single stage 90+ is also a great furnace. You being the engineer type, might consider the mod 90 which is the most advanced furnace on the market with fully modulating heat that matches the exact heat loss of the structure. (Tried and true by the way).

I tell you this friend. Do yourself a favor and contact your LP supplier, find out the btuh content and the specific gravity of the fuel they supply. Since you are on LP, the operation of the furnace is truely depended on applying the LP conversion correctly. Feel free to post the info here. Also ask them for an oriface chart (15,000) btuh's for their fuel.

[Edited by docholiday on 03-30-2005 at 09:29 AM]

Thanks again Doc

Doc, you must have ESPN or something... Earlier today I was reviewing the Rheem site, and decided to upgrade to the RGRK unit, which on top of a lifetime warranty (however dubious that is..) also has a fully SS HX, 2 stage heating, and extra ports for accessories like electronic air cleaner and humidifier, rather than just one port. The price went up about $300 from the base RGRJ the RGRK unit, but it is in stock.

Although pricy, I went ahead with a new humidifier as my old one is a POS, and I dont have sheet metal tools to splice in a replacement. I also found that the inlet to the furnace was way undersized by about 50%, according to the guy doing the site survey. They are going to change that at no cost. He indicated that it would make the heat and A/C work a bit harder, and was costing me a small bit of money, although how much is hard to tell. Since the old unit was at least 90% AFUE, I dont think I am going to be saving much money, but certainly I need a working unit. Too bad the heating season is almost over.

I will check on the LP specs and get back with you.

Heyyyyyyyyyyyy how come you didn't buy the furnace online?
    Hunidifiers are on sale this month $1.99 and we will loan you the tools.

Remember the website is : WWW Imacheapskate.com

Twilli, back in jr. high I learned a secret about comedy: The joke does NOT get funnier if you keep repeating it. To learn other tips on effective communication, try http://www.toastmasters.org/

Another thing: those tomatos flying through the air when you are on stage at open-mike night at the Comedy store? Well, its a good thing the drunks have poor aim...but at least you would never smell of skunk...

(keep it coming Twilli, I am a good sport)

To more on-topic content: I went ahead and pulled the major components off the old furnace. I was surpised at how easy it was, certainly easier than servicing those old IBM mainframes that I cut my teeth on when I was doing hardware...

You are a good sport. If you are really instersted in the rheem line look at the Mod furnace. We have been a rheem dealer for over 30 years...

Please continue to visit my website.

Twilli, can you be more specific?

Twilli, which furnace is the MOD unit? That is unclear to me....

http://www.rheemac.com/products/Prod...ificModel=RGFD

I missed, or can't recall, who is installing your furnace, but they don't sell this furnace to just any dealer. Training is required.

Doc is right hopefully, in that most distributors are reqiring training before they sell this furnace to someone.

We have installed about 30-40 of these and have not had any problems to date.

It is important that your ducts be sized properly. I would ask the installing company for references regarding installations of this furnace.

We also use this furnace with zoned systems.

Very quiet and "miserly" on fuel.

Good luck and remember to visit my website.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast