Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

big bang

pull inducer fan motor off, pull assembly to see botom of heat exchanger and you will several tubes (anywhere from 10 to 30 tubes) will have a piece of metal in them pull meatal out and clean. take a shop vac and suck out the tubes, that should take care of the problem if it is a stopped up heat exchanger. warrenty most likely is only on the heat exchanger. i don't feel you have an ignition problem. still feel that it is a stopped up heat exchanger, so be perpared to get dirty.

First off it sounds like a burner / ignition issue.

Yes the HX had a lifetime warranty to the original owner and yes 20 to the second owner but read on, there is no labor, and it also says that if parts are no longer available, you will be given credit for the HX. If indeed the HX is busted you can get 375 toward the purchase of a new furnace. If they did have the HX you'd also pay freight.

I dont know about any reorginazational bancruptcy, that is an unfortunate display of how rumors start. That unit had no recall either.

Professional Member????

Are you really an HVAC professional?

Re: big bang

Originally posted by hvac-wolf
    pull inducer fan motor off, pull assembly to see botom of heat exchanger and you will several tubes (anywhere from 10 to 30 tubes) will have a piece of metal in them pull meatal out and clean. take a shop vac and suck out the tubes, that should take care of the problem if it is a stopped up heat exchanger. warrenty most likely is only on the heat exchanger. i don't feel you have an ignition problem. still feel that it is a stopped up heat exchanger, so be perpared to get dirty.
    Should he turn the power off first? not a good idea to tell someone who is obviously not qualified to try and repair a gas burning appliance themselves

More info and solution to problem

Solution to problem: After finding as much as I could, which was a trifling amount, on my Ruud UGED, I turned off the gas, and removed the burner and orifice assembly. Orifice was clean and fine, ignitor was fine, draft motor fine. Using my EMI manometer (bought for my Bosch tankless WH install) , pressures checked out fine on those ports where I could determine what the proper reading should be. However, the burner assembly is falling apart. I am not sure what style you would call this, but I dont consider it a tube or drum: it is more like a long perforated soda can. The perfs are about 1/3 to 1/2 clogged with what appears to be melted metal, perhaps melted carbon, so the gas is not being properly distributed. I would best describe it as almost identical to slag produced when stick welding. There are also a few perfs broken out or missing, but this burner was examined last year and was ok. I figure the sudden bang might be vibrating parts off.

So this burner can needs to be replaced. I am still waiting for the HVAC tech to arrive, so I will leave it up to him to source the part and confirm my diagnosis. I have so far not been able to find the part on the 'net, and Ruuds site is weak on technical service info. From what info I can find, the HX looks to be in great shape for a 12 year old unit. I have all the original docs, so I also validated that the propane conversion was done properly: it appears ok, with the right gas valve and jets. I had that checked before by a tech, but I wanted to validate it myself.

To clarify SwampPhocks, no I am not a professional HVAC tech, and I think that is perfectly clear from the content of my original post. I am a software engineer by trade, specializing in large relational databases and Unix. I signed up for the professional forum in case there might be some info there I could use. The one thing I can certainly do well is read a manual and research a problem, and try to learn enough to fix my own problems. That is how I have rebuilt 4 gas engines (3 chevy 454's and a bb 502), installed a chevy 350 in a Datsun Z, built countless computers, installed tankless hot water heater including reroute of gas pipe, learned to weld, learned to lay brick, reroofed my own house, sweated pipes at age 10, raced motorcycles at AMA/WERA events, and dabled in offshore boat racing. Right now I am trying to get better at ice hockey, but both my sons can wip my arse.

However, unlike Buckaroo Banzai, I cannot play guitar or do brain surgury, but luckily my sister is a bona fide surgeon, my brother is a mechanical engineer for airframes on the JSF, and my dad is a rocket scientist (Polaris, Poseidon, Trident and Standard missles) so a wide range of technical help is a phone call away. But I am working on a pilots license. I also type about 100 wpm, so quickly replying to silly statements on the 'net is second nature to me, nothing personal. Noobs on the 'net tend to get bold and hide behind the illusion of anomynity on 'net forums, until they get flamed in the first degree. And I do sometimes forget to zip my fly: not sure if thats wishfull thinking or forgetfullness. We cannot all be perfect, right?

Indian, as for the origin of my name, I thought the joke went "two dogs fckxxng?" Haha, classic. I am also an avid computer game player (Call of Duty rocks). I was accused (tongue in cheek of course) by a less skilled player in a game about 10 years ago of playing like "dog sh-t", which is a bit to strong for a public handle, so it morphed into DogTurd. Old Fart (I am 41) might be just as appropriate though, but thats a pretty popular and played out name.

To the vast majority of you who honestly tried to help me, I appreciate your suggestions and comments which led me to what I think is the obvious cause, and to Swampfox...well, thanks for the concern for my safety. No really, thanks. Really. If you are indeed a professional HVAC guy, and I have no reason to doubt you, there are a lot of people out there that would appreciate your expertise dealing with these problems, up to and including "don't do it yourself, you might singe your pubes and burn down the house", which to me is certainly valid input, so keep it coming. Tips on not getting raped by HVAC techs would also be welcome, but I not reviewed the entire site, so it might be there already.

I will post additional updates on the part cost. All return flames welcome. Now that I have made my introduction, perhaps I will stick around....

Any thoughts on on buying vs. leasing the propane tank, and methods of getting better deals on propane for home heating? I will start a new topic.

COD Server Roman Gods of War.

See, I told you it was a burner issue.

CoD Rocks !!

Doc, I will look for your server, thanks. You know my name already...

Yup, u was write on the boiner.

Originally posted by docholiday
    First off it sounds like a burner / ignition issue.

Yes the HX had a lifetime warranty to the original owner and yes 20 to the second owner but read on, there is no labor, and it also says that if parts are no longer available, you will be given credit for the HX. If indeed the HX is busted you can get 375 toward the purchase of a new furnace. If they did have the HX you'd also pay freight.

I dont know about any reorginazational bancruptcy, that is an unfortunate display of how rumors start. That unit had no recall either.
    Yes, no recall. However the bankruptcy is no rumor. Or I should say, if it is a rumor, it is not from the net. This came to me from the local Rheem supplier as I am currently speaking to them about using Rheem as one of my lines. I recently dropped a line due to quality problems of the units that i was tired of dealing with. Design issues that they weren't being addressed. We got on the subject of the drum furnace and how each manufacturer has it's bain. He told me it nearly ruined Rheem, they were saved by either investors or a buy in from another manufacterer, I can't remember specificaly. So, if I'm wrong, I apologize, the info came from what should be a reliable source on the subject.

Your right it hurt, as did many things by virtually all mfg's during the late 80's early 90's when the race for higher efficiency was on. Ask Carrier about the SS, and Lennox about the pulse, and many others. (as you metnioned) But there was no bailout, thats a rumor. I am sure at one point or another it affected the profit sharing but thats it.

I often wonder why forum rules are followed for some posts and not followed on others.

Where is Fixit50 when you need him?

[Edited by twilli3967 on 03-29-2005 at 05:11 PM]
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Originally posted by docholiday
    Your right it hurt, as did many things by virtually all mfg's during the late 80's early 90's when the race for higher efficiency was on. Ask Carrier about the SS, and Lennox about the pulse, and many others. (as you metnioned) But there was no bailout, thats a rumor. I am sure at one point or another it affected the profit sharing but thats it.
    That's good to know. The rep. I spoke to must have been mistaken. I am glad that you noticed I am not bashing Rheem. As we both have pointed out, every manufacterer has it's bain.Thank you for correcting my misconception, sincerely.

Re: More info and solution to problem

Originally posted by dogturd
    I signed up for the professional forum in case there might be some info there I could use.
    You make quite the case for ending the good faith policy for entry into the professional forums, they are not there for DIY'ers

Re: big bang

Originally posted by hvac-wolf
    Please revisit the site rules that you agreed to obey when you registered here... Step by step repair advice for DIY is not permitted.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast