Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Ruud 90+ propane furnance started making a loud bang noise yesterday. I had a hard time figuring out where it was coming from, as it sounded like a gunshot, or a M80 noise, and it never happened when I was near the furnance.

Anyhow, now I know the source. Its a Ruud UGED model, 175k BTU, installed about 1992. When it attempts to light up, the ignitor comes on, and the drum lights with a bang, but does not stay lit, goes out in 1-2 secs.

First, it is safe to use in the meantime? I dont want to burn the house down or subject the family to CO poisoning. Second, any hints on what could be the cause? It has not been serviced in about 9-12 months, and was working fine until yesterday. I checked the inlet and outlet burner supply for obstructions, OK there, and the rest of the system appears to operate ok. I also have an emergency call in to my service provider, but its been an hour and no call back yet for advice. I was going to pull the ignitor to make sure its clean, but I doubt that will have any affect. And my last gas delivery (500 gal tank) was about 2 weeks ago. Could water contamination in the tank do this, althoug I doubt it..?

Any advice is welcome.

Turn it off, NOW. Wait until help calls you back. Make sure you call a Rheem/Ruud dealer. The HX is under warranty, unless you use a Rheem/Ruud dealer you may not recieve the warranty.

Is the exshaust vent black?
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

It's most likely delayed ignition. This is where the gas has a chance to build up before it lights and bang a mini explosion. Turn the unit off before something bad happens. Most likely something is out of alignment, broken or dirty. It could also be from heat exchanger issues. If the unit you are describing to me is a Rheem Royal Drum, it most likely has heat exchanger issues. I don't believe they make that hx anymore. The unit was a faulty design and caused a reorginazational bankruptcy at Rheem. Not all Rheem's are bad, in fact I think they build a great unit, but the Royal Drum is faulty and if you have one it needs changing.

Let me clarify, I'm not sure if that hx is available anymore or not. If not there may be a rebate program or furnace replacement program available, so as was stated previously by karsthuntr calling a Ruud/Rheem dealer is your best bet, they will have this info on hand.

[Edited by berad on 03-28-2005 at 09:38 PM]

Check out "wall Of Shame" under the thread "How Ruud".There's a pretty good description of what could happen with a cracked exchanger.

Could it be, that another drum bits the dust?

I did call a Ruud dealer...thanks

I got a call back, and the tech said that although he felt the bang would not hurt anything, he advised to turn it off. Interestingly, if you turn it on, it will only go through two cycles of bangs, then refuse to turn the ignitor on again. I did pull the ignitor and eyeball it, but it looks fine to me. I think the ignitor was replaced 2-3 years ago.

I do remember that a previous tech indicated that there was a recall on my unit, but the recall was long past and there was nothing more to be done for it. I am the second homeowner, and I think the first forgot to register it and never got notice of the recall, or just ignored it.

There was not a recall on that unit. And the HE is still under warranty (if there is a problem with it, sounds like it does but maybe not). You will get a credit toward a new furnace.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Your better off cold than dead and cold, find some how to keep warm and turn it off!

shut down the unit. fined some other way to stay warm till the tech can get there
    it is not safe to operate a unit with delay ignition or what ever is going on with it

big bang

sounds like heat exchanger partally stopped up or restriction in or at the flue have had happen to customer of mine and flames came out of furnace at time of bang. shut system down and call qualified tech.

I mispoke, its 105k btu, not 175k

I pulled the ignitor, and it has a fine coating of soot on it, but otherwise looks ok. But it glows a healthy red at startup, and the burner lights up briefly, so I am going to assume it is something else. I checked for restrictions again at the inlet/outlet, and it seems fine.

I have the original warranty card, and it has a lifetime warranty on the heat exchanger for the original owner, but 20 years for subsequent owners. Since it is only 12-13 years old, I think I am ok there.

Does the warranty on the HE cover parts and labor? I went to the web site for Ruud, and my model cannot be found in searches.

Dogturd, how did you pick the name by which you describe yourself? Was it the old indian way of picking a name for the first thing seen at the moment of revelation? Somehow it reminds me of a kid in highschool that we called Dogknot.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast