Ruud Ultra noisy on defrost

Hi all, I have a home inspection client who is concerned that their 1 year old Ruud Ultra 5 ton heat pump system makes unusual noises at about 2AM (wakes them up). The unit sounds "normal" when I run it and they say it is usually just fine.

I am guessing that the noise has something to do with the defrost cycle and reversing valve. It is down to about 30 degrees in this area at 2AM. They describe it as a "Jet Engine" noise but I assume not that loud. Kind of a high pitched whine.

They are understandably reluctant to spend money on a service call if this is the way these normally sound.
    Is a service call warranted?

Quote Originally Posted by homnspector View Post
    Hi all, I have a home inspection client who is concerned that their 1 year old Ruud Ultra 5 ton heat pump system makes unusual noises at about 2AM (wakes them up). The unit sounds "normal" when I run it and they say it is usually just fine.

I am guessing that the noise has something to do with the defrost cycle and reversing valve. It is down to about 30 degrees in this area at 2AM. They describe it as a "Jet Engine" noise but I assume not that loud. Kind of a high pitched whine.

They are understandably reluctant to spend money on a service call if this is the way these normally sound.
    Is a service call warranted?

With very little information to go on I would say you are correct. If they are concerned they should have a professional check the system.
    Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained. (William Blake)

Thanks Trey. Forgot to mention it is a 410A system but you all probably know that.

RUUD's arent the quietest to begin with and heat pumps arent really designed to run in sub-30 degree temps so I would have to agree that the loud noise is probably just the unit going into defrost.
    I would recomend they spend the small amount of money and have it checked any way. I little $ now might save a lot of money down the road. At least they would have the peace of mind.

I would say it us justgiing in an out of defrost mode. If the ruuds cone with paragon's it will enter defrost at 32* then will switch into the cooling cycle without the outdoor fan motor running. Then will go back into heating when reaches 55*(inside the machine that is). What they are hearing is the refrigerant reversing flow and 410a is a high pressure system. Ask them when they hear the noise if they feel cool air blowing I. The house for a bit. Best guess..