Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gas pressure

nevermind...

Re: gas properties

Originally posted by hearthman
    We used to do it at the Fire Academy during live burn drills. Believe me, when that fuel expands 270 times, you'll learn real damn fast to respect it.

HTH
    I was working at an airplane fire training office while they were doing a live burn. 175gpm (that's minute) of liquid propane. I got a good movie and some pics during the burn and while the fire truck was putting it out, in less than a minute.

The mat under the flames is 100' x 80'.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

jultzya; By running higher pressures from tank to second stage regulators the flow of propane will not be effected by cold temps. We use vaporizors that draw from the liquid level of the tank and convert into vapor via a burner inside the vaporizor unit. I thought the same could apply between the second stage and appliance by using 11" WC versus the output of a natuaral gas regulator which is 7" WC. Could be out to lunch on this one but I thought the higher second stage pressure could be an advantage to battle exteme temps.

hearthman; One application where we use liquid propane is on the family farm for the grain dryers. The liquid is heated up within the burner through coils before ignition.

MM, I have never seen any home setup that was pulling liquid from the tank. I do know about the liquid setups for the grain driers.

The main reason for a 2-stage setup for the home, is to be able to supply a larger amount of fuel through a smaller line. Otherwise, you would end up with a hefty line from the tank all the way to the home.

NFPA 58

Requires 2 stage regulation on residential applications.

Maj. Mick, if the LP is in liquid phase as it enters the burner, what's to allow it to vaporize and expand the 270x before ignition? Also, what safeguards are there should this vaporization & expansion are delayed? That could look impressive!

sorry hearth, the liquid is vaporized a split second before ignition, my mistake.

jultzya; the liquid goes to vaporizor then through a first stage reg., then to the second stage, then to furnace. Most installations it's not neccasary only when trying to demand a large volume. It is used more in the northern part of our province. Temps here can dip to -50 celsius or more. Pretaining to the original thread I thought a higher second stage pressure could help maintain the flow of vapor in those cold temps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12