Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question

I have a raised ranch home and want to install a ductless / split AC unit(s)

total sq ft is about 1300 - dining room, living and kitchen are pretty much open floor (and about half the house) with vaulted ceilings (no attic above this half of the house); three bed rooms which do have a small attic space but limited access if any.

which is why I have been looking at ductless systems - first to save some money and less hassle. so far they are not too cheap :-(

Two brands have proposed:

Mitsubishi 16k btu single unit for the main rooms

or

Comfort-Aire 18k btu single unit for the main room
    http://acforsale.com/online/product_...products_id=85

have heard a good amount on the Mits unit and well none on the Comfort-Aire? Can any one give any feed back on that brand?

Also what is a typical install rate for such a system - it will be installed on the main wall with space outside for the unit. not including electrical work, just install time and cost? one place wants 3000 for the single mits and one place wants 2200 for the comfort-aire... I'm all about saving money but don't want to short change myself. Actually after seeing what the units costs both people seem over priced.

How long do these systems typically last?

Pending how good it works I'll be having an 2nd system installed with two indoor units for the bedroom and 2nd room

again any insight is welcome and very thank-full in advance,
    John

Personally this is a poor application since you want to condition the whole house but use a ductless split system. I suppose you could go the multiple evaporator route but it will still not offer the same comfort.

If its a rased ranch, why not install the ducts in the lower level ceiling?

no pricing permitted on this site

Arrow Even if...

Originally posted by tinknocker service tech
    no pricing permitted on this site

Even if prics were allowed posted on the site,there are so many variables to an installation of this magnitude where would one start ?

Installation labor can vary for the same job by the installers instlation practice such as excellent to poor. Many critical things can be done to offset price of the install.

No way for a ball park figure to be of any usefulness to be posted here.

An example and not meant for rebuttable say would be: The house is grouted cinder block, were going to have to core drill . See the point...

Goodluck on our choices, mini splits are quiet nice for such installation we've done alot fo them and they seem to be lasting nicely!

In respone to soemones comment tht this is a poor application won't provide comfort.... WHAT are yu tlking about... Guess you need to do some trveling into some parts of Asia, multiple evaporators are used alot in man ways.

Ductless are very efficent and quiet and covient, talk about zoning!

[Edited by AllTemp on 03-27-2005 at 03:43 PM]
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

altemp good point and well taken
    ductless systems have a place and in most cases they work well and have little to no problems
    every house is different and sorry for beening short about pricing
    with an open floor plan and little to no attic ductless is the best way to go. if installed properly they will give years of qualaty comfort
    i just installed two in the same 1 up and 1down two storie house open floor up and down took 4 days because of the way lines and wires had to be ran. tough job and looked nice when and works great
    have installed a lot and every one was different and works fine

Compaired to a properly installed ducted system????

No sir, the reason they are used heavily in Asia and Europe is two-fold. One, they are small and so are the spaces they control the comfort in Two, many homes and building in Asia and Europe are older than our entire country and the building structures have no room for ductwork to be added as 200-900 years ago, it just wasn't a consideration. In newer contruction where space permits and requires a proper system is installed. This is strictly a product born from necessity.

BTW, I have been around the world and even at one time worked for Daikin, the 4th largest air conditioning mfg in the world. (Among other domestic mfg's). Their take on a/c is much different than ours here hence the deveopment of VRV systems for just the reasons I mentioned above.

Hey Doc, if my Daikin(2800) ever quits can I call you?

We pulled them off a job 15 years ago, they were about 5-8 years old then, I install them in my shop and they've been going great ever since!

I installed a few of the Soleus(sp?) Mini-splits, they have been good, and I can install one for what the Mits costs me.

No, I cant remember any japaneese from my weekly classes and cant read the manuals.

Fine!

sorry about asking for pricing info -- I ment to it to be a compare between the two brands about a 1/3 off seemed like a big differnce. I should have worded it that way. IE is a Mits 16k BTU Mr. Slim worth that much more then an 18k BTU Comfort-Aire system?

Thanks you all for the help thus far - As far as why not go via the floor in the main room where there is no attic above mostly due to the ceailing below being sheetrocked :-( And even if we could retro fit can't spend that much dough for a full system this year.

Was planing on doing a single zone in the main rooms (mostly an open floor living/dining/kitchen) then next year having a two zone unit(s) installed in two of the three bedroom... which actually is less then central air and should be more flexable yet should cool the whole floor - no?

again thanks

I see... I might add... sheetrock is inexpensive.

Mr.slim is a great unit worth the extra money. A conventional ducted system is the best way to go. Splits have their application and your house dosen't sound like it needs a split.
    "The value of quality is long rembered after the thrill of low price is forgotten."

I haven't heard much about the comfort-air, however, it looks identical to the panasonic units I install. The panasonics are a pain to install, but they operate great and are dependable. Both the indoor and outdoor units are silent. They are wrth the extra bit of hassle to install. I switched from sanyo to panasonic. This is what I am basing my "pain to install" coment on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast