Thread: Carrier Tonage

Post Likes

Hmm

Can any one tell me the tonage for a Carrier furnace?
    Product#58sx-100- - -1915
    Model#58sx100- -jg-1
    Serial#3789a09040
    Thanks for the help!!!

41GASMAN

Post Likes

http://www.alltemp-hvac.com/58SX.pdf

Believe it is the largest BTu rating tht model had here a copy of a Service Manual.

I say 5 tons... with bottom RA or both sides...
    http://www.alltemp-hvac.com/58SX.pdf

[Edited by AllTemp on 03-27-2005 at 04:13 PM]
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

Post Likes

Hmm Blower specs

Thank you for the effort AllTemp.But....I don't see in this manuel how to desipher the model and or product number I need to figure out the air tonage on this furnace.Sure don't know why the manufactures make it so that you need a brand specific super Dick Tracy decoder ring just to know what size of equipment you are looking at.AllTemp I didn't get the impression that it was a five ton when I was looking at it.Maybe a four ton.There was only fifteen six inch runs in the place.Any help I can get on where to get this info asap whould be greatly appreciated!!

41GASMAN

Post Likes

Oh, wow....

The furnace would be rated at 96k BTU's. But the tonnage? Tough to tell; it's missing some pertinent numbers. I would say 4ton.

Post Likes
    when I worked for a Carrier dealer,

That furnace had to be ordered with a 5 ton drive, otherwise it was a four ton drive, if it was a5 ton drive it had two wheels in it,

Am I right it has been a long time since I saw those ?

Post Likes

Re: Blower specs

Originally posted by 41gasman
    Thank you for the effort AllTemp.But....I don't see in this manuel how to desipher the model and or product number I need to figure out the air tonage on this furnace.Sure don't know why the manufactures make it so that you need a brand specific super Dick Tracy decoder ring just to know what size of equipment you are looking at.AllTemp I didn't get the impression that it was a five ton when I was looking at it.Maybe a four ton.There was only fifteen six inch runs in the place.Any help I can get on where to get this info asap whould be greatly appreciated!!

41GASMAN

well I see the specs for a model 1000 and I would imagine looking at the step in btu it's thier largest cfm

But it looks like Eddy is right it is a 4 ton at that CFM. Under cooling in the spec it tells you the maximum cfm :-)

[Edited by AllTemp on 03-27-2005 at 07:43 PM]
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

Post Likes

Talking Blower specs

AllTemp. Well...............I stand corrected.I did not see the specs when I looked.I have a fifteen inch monitor and when I'm using ACROBAT and the screen is two thirds full of everything but the page I am looking for......ZOOM ZOOM and ZOOM again then I can read the print.BUT then I can only see a little bit at a time.Its not at all the best way to scan around looking for the information I need.Enough of the whiny excuses!! AS always,thanks for the help everyone.
    One more thing that needs to be said.I really enjoy this forum and most all the techs and owners that post here on a regular basis.I am a one man show at this point in time.I have a plan and with a lot of work time and luck I will be able to grow a company that can take very good care of both are customers AND the tech who work for this company.This is something that I feel very passionate about.The real point here is that right now I am the smartest guy working for the company.As you can see that can be a real problem when I don't know.My great big ass saver is you guys.
    THANK YOU ALL very very much.

41Gasman

Post Likes
    You need to look at the whole document. Somewhere in the model number, maybe the J, it tells you if it is 4 or 5 ton as an option. Generally on page 2 or 3 there is a model number breakdown. Call the local Carrier distributor with the whole model and serial.

Post Likes

Hmm Whole Numbers

Doc. The wierd thing about this is the numbers I gave in the first post were taken right off the aluminized factory sticker in the funace.I have never seen a factory sticker that had the fill in for your self blanks.You know when they just put - - - - in the number for fun I guess:}

41GASMAN

Post Likes
    I believe the J is 4 ton and L was the 5 ton

Post Likes

Hmm Carrier

Thanks for the help so far.Next thing manufacturing date and can this thing be converted to a horizontal position?Customer want to move furnace to make room for a wine room.
    I was just put in a new furnace but just got a call from him saying that it was on a couple of years old!I sure wish I had a list to desifer at lest the major brand names.!
    Thank you again.
    41GASMAN

Post Likes
    I dont believe you can mount in a horz position

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in