Another Trane Combustion Motor Thread

Customer calls and says office area smells really bad and smoke appears to be coming out of ductwork. Send nearest co-worker there ASAP so he can put out what's left of smoking wiring harness with his extinguisher.

Combustion motor xfmr overheated, lit up the cabinet and fried the entire wiring harness going into the blower seaction. All Reliatel boards, ignition board, transformer, combustion motor and wiring harness are being supplied by Trane at no charge but they're not giving squat for labor because the unit is 2 years old. We've replaced 3 combustion motors on this YCD240 since it went in service.

Here's the latest service bulletin from Trane. I love the part on page 2 where it states "The action described in this bulletin is not being taken to address a safety concern. This bulletin is being issued as a Fix on Fail."

Check out the pic for yourself, my customer's original Trane equipment ran great for just under 30 years before they replaced it with this crap, 2 years of headaches and this customer is done with Trane.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Images Attached Images

This same thing happened to me... It was 10 degrees on that roof while I rewired the unit..Getting all the parts from Trane was alot of fun too..

So I guess if the combustion motor on selected Voyager units does not cause the ignition transformer to overheat, there is no safety concern (fingers crossed strategy). If it does, just shut up and install their repair kit, but better do it within a year or IR won't back the labor, just the kit.

Nice.
    "Excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better"
    -Pat Riley

Trane has a major F-up with this design.. THEY should pay to fix all these turds..

Yes that's the original service bulletin from 2007, the latest one (Nov 2010) which is now a little more involved is attached to my first post. The kits required are also different.

thx nyrb