weilclain cga gold

can i change a 30 psig relief water valve for a 50 psig water valve on a weil mclain cga gold 5 gas boiler without there being any complications to the system..

I'm going to say NO.

While I'm not terribly familiar with boiler systems, increasing the relief device setting 166% would concern me in any application.

It was designed and built around a 30 pound relief, I'd leave it at 30 and figure out WHY it is relieving rather than trying to cover up the problem with a bigger relief.

thank you jpsmith1cm thats the same thing i was thinking i ended up changing the expansion tank but the valve is still spraying water... im thinking its defective...so a new 30 should do the job

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I'm going to say NO.

It was designed and built around a 30 pound relief, I'd leave it at 30 and figure out WHY it is relieving rather than trying to cover up the problem with a bigger relief.
    +1 on the above. Is the expansion tank OK? Pressure reducing valve? Have you checked the accuracy of the pressure gauge with a known reliable second gauge?

On the other hand, are you wanting to increase system pressure because it is installed in a tall building and the system is having trouble keeping water in the radiators on the upper floors? I'm not entirely qualified to answer the question for you; just trying to get a feel for the reason for your wanting to go to a higher relief pressure. If nobody else answers, I do have people I can ask.

Saw your post you made above while I was typing mine, so scratch what I said about the tall building. If it's a pretty normal application I'd stick with a 30# relief and check the other stuff. I carry a water pressure gauge around with me to check boiler system pressures, as I never trust the gauge on the boiler itself fully. I've seen many of them read 15 psi or whatever on a system that was virtually empty. The gauge I carry has fittings attached that allow me to connect it to any boiler drain or hose bid. Just keep it in your coat pocket though--I used to leave mine in the truck, and had to replace the gauge twice because it had the tiniest bit of water in it, which froze and ruined the gauge.

Welcome to the site,

I hope you find the forums to be very helpful. Are you in the trade or working on your system at your house?

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!