Thread: Howling Zone System

Post Likes

Howling Zone System

I recently installed a zone system for a furnace. The problem I am having is there is a hollowing sound coming from the 2 zones that are closed that the customer can hear in the night.Bypass damper I thought would do the trick. No such luck! The duct work is sized correctly to handle the amount of CFM's. Any ideas. Now I will say the bypass damper fully opened does remove the sound but because there is so much air being dumped back into the return, the limit is tripped. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by jonsbears; 01-16-2011 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Title needed better topic name

Post Likes
    Couple of thoughts, are you using a LAT ( leaving air temperature sensor)?

How many zones are on the system?
    Are they of about equal size( Load)?
    Is this multi stage equipment?
    What brand of zoning system?
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Post Likes
    No, I am not using a LAT,There a 3 zones, and the zones are about equal size, it is a single stage furnace. I can't think of the manufacturer of the system. I can picture it but can't remember the name! It may be quiet zone

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jonsbears View Post
    No, I am not using a LAT,There a 3 zones, and the zones are about equal size, it is a single stage furnace. I can't think of the manufacturer of the system. I can picture it but can't remember the name! It may be quiet zone

I would start by installing a LAT, that way your cycling the burner on it (at safe temps) not the limit. I'm surprised thats not part of there zone system.

Post Likes
    Definitely should have a LAT. If you are using the furnace limit to do it, it will soon stick open leaving the HO without heat.

Besides the bypass, you can have a dump zone, runs that aren't on a zone damper.

Appears to be oversized equipment and when a good chunk of the ductwork is taken away, is grossly hurting.

Post Likes
    Sorry guys I did install a LAT in the plenum! What about taking out the bypass damper and putting in supply grill in place of it?

Post Likes
    You need to get your post count up, apply for Pro and ask for help there. This sounds like DIY questions and there not allowed, sorry.

Post Likes
    I am new a this, but I am not a DIY.I graduated from my tech college in this field and work for a mechanical company in WI. I'm living the dream and love what I do. How do I get pro status. I usually talk to my service techs but getting other peoples advice or knowledge is helpful.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in