Thread: Trying to seal receiver sightglass

Post Likes

Trying to seal receiver sightglass

I'm trying to seal 2 sightglasses on an old R22 receiver. I wonder if anybody has any advice on this. I attached some photos of the receiver. The order I found the parts of the sightglass are as follows: On the bottom there is the black rubber o-ring (in the photo showing the sightglass casing), then above it is the sightglass then a fabric ring and then the threaded cap (all shown in one photo and a couple individual photos). This receiver is date stamped 1972 and made by Globe Ice Machine Inc of Los Angeles. They don't exist anymore, I checked. The assests were bought and sold and there is no more information available about this unit. I also tried to use some Gore-Tex rope to seal it and it still did not work. I'm trying to test it to 350psi which is what the relief valve is rated at. I get leaks at about 225psi nitrogen.
    Does anybody know of a material that will work for this? Any ideas are appreciated.

Post Likes
    I would use loctite #515 or #518 on both sides of the rubber and fabric gaskets, and loctite #592 on threads.
    or try to get another rubber gasket instead of the fabric one. but still use gasket eliminator #518

Post Likes
    I'll find the manufacturer of the site glass............ have it somewhere in my archives. (i'm sure any refrigerant specialty manufacturer makes them, but the thread and bore may not match yours.)
    I have made new rubber gaskets for those using 1/8'' neoprene flat stock, using punches to form them, and if memory serves me rite, 1 1/2 & 2'' punches are the sizes. All available from Mc master Carr. I would NOT use sealant on the threads. I have used never seize.
    \m/
    original member of the racoon brotherhood

Post Likes
    its from 1972 and doesnt owe anyone any money. buy a new one.

Post Likes
    I'd check out a solid one piece sight glass. If size won't match, use a bushing. Then the only seal to worry about is the threads.

Post Likes
    Take the site glass to your local gasket rep and get them to cut you a seal out of PTFE for the front of the glass and make a flat gasket for the refrigerant side from viton or whatever they have that is compatible with R22. No need for sealant on the PTFE seal 'cause it don't seal anything anyway (it just protects the glass from the cap as it seats), nothing on the flat gasket. And don't use any type of curing sealant on the cap threads - maybe a little anti-sieze or vacuum grease. Be careful tightening!!

Post Likes
    it comes a time we just have to up grade. if its not a large system, order a new receiver of like size and install it. customer will be happy, and you and the unit will be also.

Post Likes
    Hey dude,any luck yet? I look into it and sent ur pics to a friend with Farnsworth.According to him he could get the correct seals for that type of sight glass and cap.The system maybe old but they still use that type of sight glass on certin systems.Waiting for his call back.I caught him as he was leaving for the day.No worries.
    Will get that info for you.Meanwhile dont use any sealant or loctite.
    Semper Fi

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by klove View Post
    Take the site glass to your local gasket rep and get them to cut you a seal out of PTFE for the front of the glass and make a flat gasket for the refrigerant side from viton or whatever they have that is compatible with R22. No need for sealant on the PTFE seal 'cause it don't seal anything anyway (it just protects the glass from the cap as it seats), nothing on the flat gasket. And don't use any type of curing sealant on the cap threads - maybe a little anti-sieze or vacuum grease. Be careful tightening!!
    thanks Klove for reminding me. i also cut a ring gasket out of flat stock teflon to put between the glass and the gland nut. and yes, be careful tighteneing. and neoprene is rated for refrigerant. as stated before, i have done many of these, with satisfactory resulte.
    rubber characteristics, look half way down the page,
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#o-ring-cord...-stock/=almonq
    neoprene sheet, 1/8'',12x12, p/n 5122K22, 3/4 of the way down the page.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#o-ring-cord...-stock/=almonq
    teflon sheet, 1/16'', 12x12, p/n 8545K13, or did i use 1/8'',12x12, p/n 8545K24
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#8545k24/=almw2t
    i went trhu my buggy this morn, and it was 1 1/2 and 2'' punch size
    1 1/2, p/n 3427A33
    2'', p/n 3427A37
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/116/2306/=almxj8
    hardest part of the job is reading those tiny numbers and writing them down correctly.
    good luck.
    \m/
    original member of the racoon brotherhood

Post Likes
    Thanks for all the responses, haven't had a chance to try anything further yet Lawsalazar. We plan on trying a different material for a gasket in upcoming week.
    Great ideas for gasket materials Heavymetaldad- will check them out further if need be.
    Replacing the receiver could be option CBOE and we have 7 more that could be replaced too!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in