Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    i work on and install alot of trane and carrier systems and i to have had this same problem however i have been able to locate the problem. i usually find that there is a rubbout in the condensing unit that causes this either the low pressuce control or the rv def sensor all controls check it out

Post Likes
    Jultza,

Me too, you are right. I stand corrected, thanks. VA is volt amps. I think I was heading to make a point about primary and secondary fuses and got sidetracked.

So a 240v-24v transformer with a .32 amp primary would give you a 3.2 amp secondary or about 80VA. and a 115v-24v transformer with the same primary capacity of .32 amps would give you about a 1.67 amp secondary or 40 VA.

[Edited by docholiday on 03-26-2005 at 11:38 AM]

Post Likes

Yo, Doc

"If you short the secondary, which is the primary's load the primary side will fail as it is the weakest link. A 3 amp fuse on the secondary would be the weakest link if it were present. a .3 amp fuse on the primary would also be weaker than the primary winding. Lesson, learned? A fuse is alot cheaper than the transformer."

Yeah but where can I get a .3A fuse? Something they sell @ Radio Shack? I have enough trouble getting 3A fuses.
    ...SHEEESH!!!

Post Likes
    you can go to a gas station and puchase a 5 amp auto fuse and do the same thing
    push come to shove you do what ya gotta do lol

Post Likes
    I didnt say it was easy but yes Radio Shack would be one place. My point was that either location would save the transformer. The last post suggested a 5amp fuse. In this case it will be the last thing to fail and pretty much a waste of time, especially if you are dealing with a 40va 115-24v transformer which is only rated at 1.67amps.

Post Likes
    Those newer style automotive fuses work good with regular slip-on type crimp connectors. Put one of these fuses in series with the secondary.

Post Likes
    I ran into similar problem with a furnace board and a hot surface ignitor burning out for no obvious reasons.I was originally sent to the job site to do a fall service/cleaning.A couple of days passed and then the call-back came,{no heat}.After troubleshooting and finding nothing I checked the off/on switch at the ceiling servicing the furnace.The problem was that they were switching the neautral and not the hot.On my first visit I turned the switch to off thereby causing the 110 volt to back feed through the entire system.{Everything ran fine as long as the off/on switch wasn't used}.The fuse on the board never did get damaged but it burnt out the board and the H.S.I.Anyway after rewiring the off/on,and replacing the parts,everything was OK.

Post Likes
    most electronics supply houses have fuses, all elec supply houses can order some -- from 0.01a thru 8a at 120v or more. FYI a standard glass fuse >8a is rated 32 volts! so, use a ceramic fuse = ceramic encased, rather than glass.

HOSFELT electronics is a mail order house. but, they do not have all sizes.

Post Likes

Re: Yo, Doc

Originally posted by bodhisatva

Yeah but where can I get a .3A fuse?
    http://www.digikey.com
    http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea...S&Cat=32113391

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12