Hmm Carrier 30XAA280

Hey all you Carrier guys,

I have a Model: 30XAA2806L03S03 Serial: 2008Q92403 under contract and during the winter maintenace a few days ago, I found the oil seperator heater contactors for each circuit pulled in, 120 volts applied to the heaters, but no current. Both circuits are open electrically on the load side of the contactors. Checked the print, there are no other devices shown on print that would open the circuit like a thermal switch or something. Just looking for some confirmation, do these heaters fail often? I find it odd that both circuits would be failed?!? These are the type that are strapped to the belly of the seperator tank. There is a noise reduction option installed so they are not easily accessible and don't want to replace something that's not broken. Any help is appreciated.....thanks guys
    Life is a **** sandwich.........take a bite and smile :-)

not have a thermostat to control the resistance, the contactor from using the oil temperature and go out the same way

Replace with the newer style heater there I'd a bulletin on it but it's not that bad of a job, try doing it in the rain.Take the heater off and look for the burned spot I bet there is one .
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

that machine was reworked back in October, 2009 so it should have the new heaters on it. You might want to shut the machine off and let the heaters cool off. Then ring out the heaters, should be about 4 ohms, just to confirm they are bad. If you get an open reading it might be the internal thermostat on the new heaters is stuck open. If you get resistance, then most likely the heaters are good, the thermostat was doing its job.

Looks like we know who did the rework.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Is Carrier 30XA the secret password??? More PA dudes that I don't know keep comming out of the wood work!! Sorry that I don't have anything worth while to post on this subject, just

No problem chil, the password on the XA and RB is 0111.

Not sure which tech would have done the work, but CCS did all the reworks on all machines built before week 36 of '08

Quote Originally Posted by gyhooyabat View Post
    No problem chil, the password on the XA and RB is 0111.

Not sure which tech would have done the work, but CCS did all the reworks on all machines built before week 36 of '08
    Well I can say that not all chillers built before that date had reworks done to them. Things get missed.
    UA 100