Thread: Power venter...

I am replacing Plexvent pipe. It is a HTPV that was recalled due to cracking problems. It is on a Goodman mid-efficient unit. My question is do I have to use b-vent from furnace to power venter or can I use metal vent? Furnace is in the cellar. Does it depend on local code?

Did you call the recall number for the free kit and paperwork to do the change out?

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml98/98072.html
    Aircraft Mechanical Accessories Technician. The Air Force changed the job title to Air Craft Environmental Systems Technician. But I've decided I'll always be a Mech Acc.

B-vent all the way

Some power venters (crappy ones),are in line, (not draft inducers) and there is 2 or so feet of pipe on the discharge side of the power venter, before the vent terminal. In this case use single wall on the discharge side of the power venter and seal it with high temp silicone. The pipe on the suction side of the power venter should always be B vent to prevent excess condensation.
    Buy a "Fields" brand with the motor mounted in the terminal, outside. And you can stay all B vent inside without having to worry about fumes getting in the furnace room.

what year furnace
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

You guys are right. Everyone has said B-vent all the way. Thanks. MechAcc I did get the powerventer for cost. Went thru the program. It was long and painful process but it worked out in the end.

You shouldn't have paid anything for the venter, you also get $70 for pipe and $140 for labor.

I lose money on all of the ones we replace. I now really look for problems with unit or the install.

If you cannot vent with the kit, HO gets $400 toward a new furnace.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Gave up on that program after about the second one. Thought I was doing the HO's a favor (and was.) It's a losing proposition in most cases profit wise. But to answer your question, 'B' vent. No single wall pipe.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain