Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    i don't want to start an argument but i am a believer. i have done it before and the results have been good. i can't say it was good every time but mostly it was. some of the contractors however, can be con's. i know alot of members here think it's snake oil and we have had a few long threads about it. not all ductwork needs cleaning, and the contractor should be honest and tell the customer if it is not needed. what is it that makes you think it's a con? i don't know what kind of machine it was we used, but it had an air hose that would reach all the registers and ductwork, and a big vacume that was on wheels. i was impressed by how well it worked, but maybe i just didn't know the differance.
    I agree not all air ducts need to be cleaned. I personally inspect the air ducts with a video system with the potential customer and try to educate them about their system. Unfortunately those $79 scammer companies with their bate and switch tactics stain the industry.

It looks like to me a rotobrush company could easily contaminate your home. If they just came from a home that had moldy ducts, then come straight into your home blowing the previous homes mold everywhere, this could create problems. You know most of these duct cleaners that use the rotobrush dont clean the brush after using it. Just a thought.

good ol rotorbrush, a few years ago i contacted that co. about cking out there machine, every time i called i always got the secretary, never the sales guy, had to leave my # they'd call back. the guy kept callimg and e-mailing to sell me a machine. i said i'd like to come down to i think texas, and check out the facility, and check out your duct cleaning school, BEFORE, BUYING THE MACHINE AND SPENDING xxxxx'S $'S. there is no way i'm buying a xxxxx, from some dude w/o checking him out. say you make 2oo $ per job! you'll need 50-75 jobs just to break even, IMOP, unless your in a area that is high end, the only guy making $ is roto brush, again, what dope buy's a xxxxx over the phone w/o checking out the guy and co. selling it. they have a aggressive sales guy,wish i remembered his name, but has anyone been to there schooland there duct cleaning class.needless to say,i'm not big on roto brush, this is JMHO, and opinions vary.and if you do decide to buy any duct machine,crunch your payback #'S, what happens if it breaks down, where do you get parts and how much, visit someone who actually owns one and you can meet in person and actually see the real deal,what about accesseries$, this is a major investment,that requires a lot$,to build up the buisness, you'll find people would love to have there ducts clean, but they'd like them cleaned for nothing. another one of those money losing jobs. obviously, there are co. making money in duct cleaning, but it takes one heck of a marketing commitment$,and isn't as easy as these guys make it sound. again this is my JMHO< do your do diligence, and buy what ever with your EYES OPEN!

I have also heard STAY AWAY FROM ROTOBRUSH.

We bought a negative air pressure duct cleaning machine for about the same price as a high end rotobrush and the owner of the company even flew out to oregon(on our dime of course) to train us on the equipment.

VAC SYSTEMS INTERNATIONAL, INC.
    1800 EAST CLIFF ROAD, #11
    BURNSVILLE, MN 55337
    (952) 808-1616

Negative air pressure is the only way to go. Another downside to the rotobrush is it only cleans up to 15 feet of ductwork if I remember correctly. Our negative air system is a 3 part process with 15 foot brush and hoses that clean everything else.

With duct cleaning it is hard to overcome the customer.. but I saw it from others for $99... we charge 5 times that and usually get it because we spend 8 hours per duct cleaning to get them perfect. 1.5 years an 0 call backs.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SkyHeating View Post
    I have also heard STAY AWAY FROM ROTOBRUSH.

We bought a negative air pressure duct cleaning machine for about the same price as a high end rotobrush and the owner of the company even flew out to oregon(on our dime of course) to train us on the equipment.

VAC SYSTEMS INTERNATIONAL, INC.
    1800 EAST CLIFF ROAD, #11
    BURNSVILLE, MN 55337
    (952) 808-1616

Negative air pressure is the only way to go. Another downside to the rotobrush is it only cleans up to 15 feet of ductwork if I remember correctly. Our negative air system is a 3 part process with 15 foot brush and hoses that clean everything else.

With duct cleaning it is hard to overcome the customer.. but I saw it from others for $99... we charge 5 times that and usually get it because we spend 8 hours per duct cleaning to get them perfect. 1.5 years an 0 call backs.
    some one was advertizing 79$ duct cleanigs up to 8 vents" i told a customer with a 1/2 inch of crap in his 40 yo ducts, have this guy, give him the basic cleaning , no up/extra and before and after pictures! how some one makes money on 3/4 xx-xxx$, billings i'll never know, but ??????

http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...cleaning-scams

Its easy to make money for $79... you upsell every job another $800 or more and bully customers. I had a customer with a nice honeywell F300 EAC and the duct cleaner convinced her it was better to buy his $250 filter than use the F300(it was a standard MERV8 filter i buy for less than 1/10th of that price) This was the $99 special at the time out of the newspaper. She told me they left with over $800 in additions, and it was pretty close to $900... needless to say we still had to clean her ducts they were so filthy, no work was done, just $900 and 2 hours labor for a filter.

Man am I glad I passed on rotobrush. Almost got suckered into it. I only had a couple customers ask me about duct cleaning so I figured it would not benefit me.

Quote Originally Posted by scottinomaha View Post
    Ive been using a rotobrush Air+ with fantastic results the video attachment is awesome and at the end of every job I use the video to show them its clean I have them randomly pick some returns and supplies and show them how clean it is. I fortunately haven't ran into any clogging issues. Biggest issue I have is it goes thru the pre filter bags rather quickly on really dirty ducts. To each their own.
    i dont see how you had no clogging issues...guess you only do newer homes..
    not the 60-80 yr old ones w joist panning and several inches of crap in the panning...

only thing the roto duster did was repeatidly clog..and cover the home w
    a fine layer of dust...

a total piece of crap imo

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SkyHeating View Post
    http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...cleaning-scams

Its easy to make money for $79... you upsell every job another $800 or more and bully customers. I had a customer with a nice honeywell F300 EAC and the duct cleaner convinced her it was better to buy his $250 filter than use the F300(it was a standard MERV8 filter i buy for less than 1/10th of that price) This was the $99 special at the time out of the newspaper. She told me they left with over $800 in additions, and it was pretty close to $900... needless to say we still had to clean her ducts they were so filthy, no work was done, just $900 and 2 hours labor for a filter.
    hey sky, i saw the video,WOW, not good, but the second video, that consumer lady said a proper duct cleanig should take several hours or more,and cost 400-800,if not more. a had a friend of mine that's beed doing carpet cleaning fo decades,and he had checked into duct cleaning and they told him how long duct cleaning should take along with what should be charged. but having been doing hvac for a couple of weks,cough cough, i've seen a lot of older ducts out here with a lot of dust and junk,and people who live in really old houses should think, how much crap is possibly in my duct system after 20,30,40 yrs or more of use,

Quote Originally Posted by thes View Post
    hey sky, i saw the video,WOW, not good, but the second video, that consumer lady said a proper duct cleanig should take several hours or more,and cost 400-800,if not more. a had a friend of mine that's beed doing carpet cleaning fo decades,and he had checked into duct cleaning and they told him how long duct cleaning should take along with what should be charged. but having been doing hvac for a couple of weks,cough cough, i've seen a lot of older ducts out here with a lot of dust and junk,and people who live in really old houses should think, how much crap is possibly in my duct system after 20,30,40 yrs or more of use,
    Old homes? psh! new construction is the worst! drywall, beer cans, half eaten sandwiches.....ductwork also becomes the toilet for all the other contractors on the job.

I make good money from my machine. If you can't sell the duct cleaning for the price youre trying to....it sounds like the problem is YOU
    Last edited by Gross; 08-03-2011 at 11:55 AM. Reason: grammatical corrections

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Gross View Post
    Old homes? psh! new construction is the worst! drywall, beer cans, half eaten sandwiches.....ductwork also becomes the toilet for all the other contractors on the job.

I make good money from my machine. If you can't sell the duct cleaning for the price youre trying to....it sounds like the problem is YOU
    hey if your making money/living doing duct cleaning, good luck, that's great, but most people who by that machine w/o due diligence, regret it. that's my HO. again if your making money great, congrtulations, hey in the loto in NY some one has to win it, even though its 1 in 10 million! maybe your the one in 10 million making money off your machine, along with the guy SELLING THE MACHINE, THERE THE ONES CLEANING UP$$$$$$! get it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12