Thread: RUUD vs TRANE

Post Likes
    Hi!! I have a 26 year old 3.5 ton Whirlpool Condenser unit.I think the compresser is on its way out because the lights dim when it kicks on and goes to normal once it get going..I was wondering which is better,Trane or Ruud..I was mainly wondering if Trane has a scroll compresser..I know Ruud does a scroll compresser..I have a 15 year old Ruud on the other side of the house which we never had a lick of problem out of it..I'm looking at a 14 seer unit for more effiency.. I just had a new Ruud Air handler(UBHC21J18SHG)w/txv installed in December because the old units elements shorted out and didnt feel like it was worth fixing due to the age..It was 26 y/o also..

Post Likes
    if the ruud ah is for the system you speak of, then go with the ruud. it's not good to mis match components.

also, you will need the model number of the coil to properly match the new outdoor units seer rating.

i'm pretty sure that a vs airhandler is required for the 14 seer. (ubhk)

good luck

Post Likes
    If you are only replacing the condensing unit then go with the ruud. As Bill stated it is not usually good to mix match components. If you plan on changing out the whole system I would go with Trane it is a much better quality system then the Ruud. You will probably pay more but in the long run you will be glad you did.

Post Likes
    You won't get 14 SEER out of a UBHC. Best you could do is the 12 SEER outdoor unit.

My experience, working for a dealer who sells both familes, is Ruud is a more reliable product overall lately.

Post Likes
    For my money its trane. But nomatter which system you chose. First replace the insude coil with one which is 13 seer or better. 2006 thats all you will be able to buy. When I replace furances I always change the coil. ITt save replacing cost,when you later replace the outside section.

Post Likes
    Get the Ruud.

Post Likes
    Big, why should he throw out a 3 month old TXV coil?

Why change a coil with a furnace? It's part of the A/C. If you change a furnace today and install a new coil, you are greatly limiting your customer to what he can buy tomorrow, IF ANYTHING. Many brands say they are changing their coil line. Say you put in a Trane with matching coil and next year he wants to put in an ARI rated system. Trane has a new coil line coming out later this year. He will be in trouble. What if you put in a R22 coil and the customer wants R410a? To me, you change a coil with an outdoor unit change, not a furnace change.

[Edited by BaldLoonie on 03-24-2005 at 10:03 AM]

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in