Heat Pump - High pressure switch trip

Red face Heat Pump - High pressure switch trip

Hi;
    I have a package unit Lennox CHP16-060-1G. The problem I have is, in the heating mode by thermostat, this heat pump unit runs for less than 1 minute then the high pressure switch cut-off. I have to manually reset this high pressure switch in order to restart the unit but then it runs only less than a minute. I connected the service manifold gauges on both side of the compressor I noticed both pressure gauges went up the same time and up to 320 PSI then the high pressure switch cut off.
    Any help or suggestion what causes and how to fix will be much appreciated

cdt68

Quote Originally Posted by cdt68 View Post
    Hi;
    I have a package unit Lennox CHP16-060-1G. The problem I have is, in the heating mode by thermostat, this heat pump unit runs for less than 1 minute then the high pressure switch cut-off. I have to manually reset this high pressure switch in order to restart the unit but then it runs only less than a minute. I connected the service manifold gauges on both side of the compressor I noticed both pressure gauges went up the same time and up to 320 PSI then the high pressure switch cut off.
    Any help or suggestion what causes and how to fix will be much appreciated

cdt68
    Are you DIY ?

Confused

Dear VTP99;
    I am a contractor licensed (C-38) under my company for just a maintainance purpose. However I am very new in this industry. So fixing this Heat Pump is my first job after licensed .
    cdt68

Do you mean the suction and liquid lines access valves? Is there any special controls on unit like hot gas bypass or evap regulating vlv. Can you hear the reversing vlv engaging or disingauging?Have you tried pumping the unit down to see if the valves are leaking by?

is the indoor blower moter workin and for that matter the outside fan motor

Smile

Dear keeplearnin
    I found out that the Indoor Motor blower is not working : In the meanwhile, there is another Lennox unit (same model) has the same problem but after I reset the high pressure switch, it could run the entire day. But it trips again at early in the morning. What would likely happen?
    cdt68

might be air flow problem

remember in heat mode the in door coil becomes the condensor. what happens when the condensor gets dirty or the fan stops? the head pressure builds up. unit goes off on hi pressure switch. so mabey the filter is pluged, or the in door coil is dirty. check the filter first. if it is clean, then you have a dirty indoor coil. you will have to open up the unit to get acces to the coil. good luck. let us know the out come.

Dear cboe & keeplearnin
    Much appreciate for your advices. I replaced all the filters prior to posting this thread. I also removed all the filters today to see if it trips again by tomorrow morning.
    Thanks again.

Know what a TXV is? See if you have one in the Outside Unit. Have you tried changing the Reversing Valve (see if it will run in the Cooling mode)?
    Yes, I know I Shouldn't But I Just Can't Help Myself...