Thread: Approximate age of Heil AC unit from serial number?

Post Likes
    Looking for a bit of assistance -

I'm not original homeowner, so not certain of age of AC unit. Can you pros in the industry determine mfg date from the serial number? Here are the details:

Heil 5000
    Model: CA5530VKC1
    S/N: L950624421

I'm guessing 6/95, but it'd be great if this could be confirmed.

Thanks...

Post Likes

Heil age

7/95

Post Likes
    Thanks for the fast response, smud. I really appreciate it...

Post Likes

Fast response, Wrong answer!

The unit was manufactured the 6th week of 95.

Is there an issue with this unit, or are you just looking for a manufacture date?

Post Likes
    jultzya - Not an exact science, huh? Either answer is closer than week 50, 1988, which I also received.

Unit is working fine. We're replacing the 1986 furnace, and I wasn't certain of the AC's age. When I thought it was born in '88, the decision to replace was easier. Early '95 makes the decision more difficult...

Post Likes

replace or keep

Your climate, utility rates, and overall goals will help you decide.

If you are in an area that uses little a/c, then it might not pay to change it out at this time.
    However, if you live in a warmer climate (and this is mainly what you are using to provide comfort) then a high SEER replacement would likely save you in the long run.

Look at the length of time your going to stay in this home. Also, new equipment will help the resale value of the house in a few years.

Post Likes
    jultzya - Thx for advice...

I'm in SE Wisconsin, so AC does not get heavy use. Don't know how much useful life existing unit has, so that makes decision difficult. It may be simpler to replace both furnace & AC at once, but I hate to throw away a unit with useful life.

We are in this home for long term, so short term resale is not a consideration. We're in the midst of major basement renovation, which is driving evaluation of upgrade. Heat pump has been brought up as an option, which is a whole new area for consideration, and would require replacing the AC unit.

BTW - electricity @ $0.08/kWh, gas @ $0.95/therm.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in