Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Question

model hp24 installed 1993..system has been flakey for about a year or so..both cooling and heating ..sometimes good cool air ,then nothing..same in winter, heat sometimes other times not..now compresor wont start..just replaced the cap (old one puffed out...swollen you know...system also has a kicker..

contactor(replaced along with other relay about three years ago) engages and fan comes on but no comp.

what should my next step be..put gauges on it ? jump contactor and try to start comp...change out cap again ...what will stop a comp from starting??? coils are clean and good airflow...

thanks for all you advice in advance..

Post Bury It!

Originally posted by onelaptogo
    model hp24 installed 1993..system has been flakey for about a year or so..both cooling and heating ..sometimes good cool air ,then nothing..same in winter, heat sometimes other times not..now compresor wont start..just replaced the cap (old one puffed out...swollen you know...system also has a kicker..

contactor(replaced along with other relay about three years ago) engages and fan comes on but no comp.

what should my next step be..put gauges on it ? jump contactor and try to start comp...change out cap again ...what will stop a comp from starting??? coils are clean and good airflow...

thanks for all you advice in advance..
    And tie a yellow ribbon around it...

Just joking... Your next step should be call a quaified service company out to diagnose it properly.
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

I may just bury it ...hehehhe

thanks for the advice...weather is real nice here now and I have some days off ...so Im going in (so to speak)..dad lives next door and has same unit...gonna swap potential relay see if that may be my problem...I can fix this with a little help...not that I'm cheap or anything...just poor... and a little handy..

thanks again for your response....and GO #9 Kasey Khane..

What ever you do don't screw up Dad's unit.

I may just bury it ...hehehhe

thanks for the advice...weather is real nice here now and I have some days off ...so Im going in (so to speak)..dad lives next door and has same unit...gonna swap potential relay see if that may be my problem...I can fix this with a little help...not that I'm cheap or anything...just poor... and a little handy..

thanks again for your response....and GO #9 Kasey Khane..
    This is not a DIY site.
    It was in the rules you agreed to when you signed up.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

sorry didnt meen to violate the rules...im outta here...

If I remember correctly that unit has a earlier generation scroll compressor, it has a temperature switch located in the dome of the compressor. Anything that might result in higher than normal superheat will cause the unit to shutdown until the switch resets. The switch could be a problem also, I have replace a few of them, and it isn't a DIY project.

unit started the next morning...tried to charge but couldnt get above 60 lbs on low side...pulled fan and looked inside and saw oil on floor of unit reversing valve and capilary tube next to it was wet...so I figured great now I get to try to replace one of those..didnt look like fun...while I was moaning I thought about the tube next to the valve upon closer inspection the tube was resting on the reversing valve and had worn a hole on it from the vibration of 14 years..

soldered it up and gonna pull some vacume and recharge..

hope you didnt use plumbers solder on the hole
    also if you got flux in the system kiss that compressor goobye

diy doing thier own repares is one thing but diy should not be charging a unit at all
    so much for epa certified techs
    call a tech and have it done right
    if you dont charge a unit the right way you can get seriously hurt and cause some real dammage to you house
    call a hvac tech
    heat pumps are not for diy with no knowlege of them to mess with

Good to go..

unit started the next morning...tried to charge but couldnt get above 60 lbs on low side...pulled fan and looked inside and saw oil on floor of unit reversing valve and capilary tube next to it was wet...so I figured great now I get to try to replace one of those..didnt look like fun...while I was moaning I thought about the tube next to the valve upon closer inspection the tube was resting on the reversing valve and had worn a hole on it from the vibration of 14 years..

soldered it up and gonna pull some vacume and recharge..

Sound like your savvy to what needs to be done son, good luck!
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

got a guy comming today to evac and charge...hope it works... thanks...

got a guy comming today to evac and charge...hope it works... thanks...
    What did you solder the hole with?
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

lead free solder...

maybe I should tell the ac man when he shows up huh...

just a smalll slit in a 1/8 inch capilary tube..steel wool to shiny...pre heat copper and soldered...hope i didnt block the tube ..pretty sure I didnt..we will see...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast