Expansion Valve Removed 4 Replacement => NOW Water Leaking Furnace

In December AC unit not blowing cold air. Called HVAC pro to check. No freon so recharged. Capacitor went out either during recharge or during testing after recharge. New capacitor put in but not taking up freon. HVAC tech checked condenser(?) coil & stated expansion(?) valve may need cleaning or replaced-but he couldn't be sure until both were tried. Removed expansion valve & took it w/ him to match the replacement.

He left panel off where coil & valve were and said it would be ok & can still run heater - I'm wondering if it's really ok? Was out of town x1wk & tech can't get back to replace valve until Fri.

Noticed yesterday water dripping...sometimes running down side of furnace (Amana 90 AC & Gas Furnace) where two 1/2" PVC tubes are located above a square grey plastic container (drip container?). The container was filled to rim w/ water. Called tech -said it shouldn't have anything to do with the valve he removed.

Does this sound right? I know nothing about HVAC & I want to be asking the right questions when he comes back. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks

Is it oil? sounds like a lot of guess work to me on techs part. Going from no freon to bad cap. to bad expansion vlv yikes. better call company and ask for senior tech.

Red Flags to me!

Nothing really makes sense; Tech's info. & your info.

I would be leary of this tech. May want to do as suggested............ask for senior tech to come out.

The water dripping out sounds like the condensate from the furnace. Possibly a clogged condensate trap or condensate line out of the trap.

Definitely ask for the lead tech or a senior tech........

Thanks all. I wanted to give the tech the benefit of the doubt since he's the one with the training and he seemed like an honest guy. I wanted to find out from you pros out there whether this was the standard diagnostic pathway for why was not getting cold air & what the deal might be with the water leak from the furnace - I know for sure it wasn't leaking before he removed that valve. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC Teacher View Post
    Red Flags to me!

Nothing really makes sense; Tech's info. & your info.
    Oops sorry, the tech put in a new compressor NOT a "capacitor"... no wonder it didn't make sense.

I was outside with the tech when the unit went suddenly quiet - that's when he said the compressor went out. Once unit was recharged w/ freon & new compressor in place -cold air still not blowing from vents. He said there may be a freon leak somewhere and he wanted to check the coil then the valve etc, etc...and you know how the rest of the story goes.

Pic #2 is where the valve was removed. Pic #3 is where it is leaking water.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

mabie the tech had to take the condensate drain off to gain acces to the TEV, and forgot to replace it. why would you won't to leave a pannel off?

Quote Originally Posted by cboe View Post
    mabie the tech had to take the condensate drain off to gain acces to the TEV, and forgot to replace it. why would you won't to leave a pannel off?
    Thanks I'll be sure to ask about that as well as what phbsales suggested earlier.

I didn't want to leave the panel off -he did...but I think it was because he planned to be back the next day with the replacement part.

The system is NOT supposed to be left open like that!

Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    The system is NOT supposed to be left open like that!
    Exactly....moisture,dirt and dust yikes......call for senior tech ASAP !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KluLes View Post
    Oops sorry, the tech put in a new compressor NOT a "capacitor"... no wonder it didn't make sense.

I was outside with the tech when the unit went suddenly quiet - that's when he said the compressor went out. Once unit was recharged w/ freon & new compressor in place -cold air still not blowing from vents. He said there may be a freon leak somewhere and he wanted to check the coil then the valve etc, etc...and you know how the rest of the story goes.

Pic #2 is where the valve was removed. Pic #3 is where it is leaking water.
    ....If he CORRECTLY changed the compressor, then he would know if there was a leak, BEFORE he put refrigerant in it.

Get a senior tech out there.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted