Replacing my 20+ year old furnace with ??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Replacing my 20+ year old furnace with ??

We have a furnace that's as old as our house (22) and I before it completely dies I would like to replace it. I have a 3-level house thats 2700sq ft in Vancouver, BC. The choices, by my own research, has come down to 2 hi-efficiency units:

1. Lennox G61
    2. York YM9M

I want a 2-stage with variable speed, quiet, life time warranty on both SS heat exchangers and at least 5-10 years on parts.

Has anyone had experiences with either of these units? Good, bad or otherwise?

Go with the Lennox.

If you have it in your budget, upgrade to the G71.

Neither one have stainless steel primary heat exchangers.

Don't go with Lennox G71, you can't go wrong with the G61. If you have the extra money, Go with Lennox SLP98. It's replacing the G71.

Quote Originally Posted by usskaufman3 View Post
    Don't go with Lennox G71, you can't go wrong with the G61. If you have the extra money, Go with Lennox SLP98. It's replacing the G71.
    Very useful information.

Looks like I need to brush up a bit......

If you're willing to spend the extra money, go with the SLP98, it replaces the G71 as was stated before. You can get a lifetime warranty on the heat exchanger with the SLP98, only 20 years with the G61. The warranty really doesn't mean a whole lot as general life expectancy of a furnace is 15-20 years. The SLP can be a modulating furnace with the correct t-stat and has a variable speed blower in it. They are very quiet and are 7" shorter than the G61. The SLP also comes with a 10 parts warranty.

Have you taken a look at the RGRM from RUUD? 2 stage w/ ECM blower...lifetime heat xchanger warranty and 10 years on parts.
    *Proud Member of UA LOCAL 516*

Load Calculation

The first thing you need to do, is a load calculation to get the size of the unit you need to heat the house. The square footage is not enough, there are other factors like: windows , doors , insulation and location. A 2700 suqare foot house with no wall insulation and leaky single pane windows will require a larger furnace than the same house with r11 in the walls and double pane glass windows properly installed. If your looking at YORK then look at luxaire they are the same unit. Also parts will be more availabe for a york machine, their parts are more generic.
    Sorry about my bad spelling
    Rich Traupmann

+1 for load sizing

Given Vancouver's climate, it will have a load that will likely be quite smaller than 'rules of thumb'. I did a few energy audits in the Vancouver area, and it seems the same rules of thumb are used there and in Ontario, which of course have very different climates.

ok, well to answer some questions. The house has double pane windows and all exterior walls are insulated R11.

I was also told by both dealers that both primary and secondary heat exchangers were stainless steel.

As far as the RUUD, all 3 dealers I talked to said this manufacturer deals with entry units only. I had originally considered a Comfort-Aire (which is a retagged RUUD) but cannot find a local dealer.

Vancouver BC = cheap electricity, mild climate. (rarely below freezing)

I would get a heatpump with electric backup, electric service and budget permitting.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Pretty much any brand unit will do the job if installed properly.
    Start by doing a load calculation. a good contractor will be able to do this, takes about 2-3 hours. Or you can get the software your self, it starts at about $500.00 and goes up from there.
    Good Luck
    Rich Traupmann

SLP98 is an awesome system...put one in the other day.
    Thomas aka...spymoocow
    Quote Originally Posted by garya505 View Post
    Ah, sorry I thought that's what he meant. An inch shouldn't make that much difference (at least that's what I always tell my wife).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast