Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunter thermostats

Post Likes
    I've had many Hunter t-stats stick on in the heat mode. Not fun for the homeowner to come home from vacation to find a 90 degree house. Also many of them, or at least the ones with batteries, will go out on low battery, the home owner replaces the battery and t-stat never comes on again. Resets don't bring it back. As far as Lux stats go, I've been using the Lux Pro stats on my new construction spec homes for three years without a single failure. On my custom homes I use a matching Trane stat.

Post Likes
    Gee guys, I guess I have been lucky with mine.

Post Likes

Talking

Originally posted by rich l
    Wouldn't it be ironically (nevermind Dice...to big of word for you) ironically funny if rich post up next week his heat is not working and asked us for idea's to why???
    "The Bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Post Likes
    As a homeowner I have had 2 Hunter thermostats in my house for the past 8 years and have not had any problems with them at all.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by frank shelley
    Wouldn't it be ironically (nevermind Dice...to big of word for you) ironically funny if rich post up next week his heat is not working and asked us for idea's to why???
    Hahaha Frank.

IF it did fail, I think I am smart enough to fix it without you.

Post Likes

Hunter

I'm just one homeowner, but have owned a Hunter Energy Monitor I and highly admired its ability to measure on-time, implicity energy usage. However I heard they had numerous lawsuits about failing in a manner that killed AC units. It didn't happen to me but they replaced that model and eventually stopped making thermostats I believe. Mine died, and when I replaced it with another Hunter it killed that thermostat too -- I don't know how. Replaced them with Lux cheapies from Home Depot and they worked well.

However I would prefer a mid- or high-end thermostat these days. If you buy a VisionPro beware that the fan cycling feature is ignorant of humidity problems it may somewhat aggravate -- the Honeywell corporation is ignorant of it too. Otherwise the VisionPro series looks like a million dollars and would be highly attractive if I were buying today.

Hope this helps -- P.Student

Post Likes

Talking

Originally posted by frank shelley
    Hahaha Frank.

IF it did fail, I think I am smart enough to fix it without you.
    Maybe but it is important you post so that a bunch of smart arse tech's get to vent off a little fun! At busy times this is our prime source of entertainment. (sad to say)
    "The Bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Post Likes

Cool

I've been on several "runaways" in the heat mode.Also have had several that the contacts(internal relays)failed on.Every thermostat has at one time had a bad run.Used to be we would not sell a Honeywell programable,but they appear to have gotten their act together.I like braeburn for design and price.Robert Shaw for price and reliability,White Rodgers for 2-stage,and Honeywell for commercial.
    Ethics are as important as education.

Post Likes

Question

Originally posted by Hillside
    As a homeowner I have had 2 Hunter thermostats in my house for the past 8 years and have not had any problems with them at all.
    Then why two in the last eight years?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by berad
    Originally posted by Hillside
    Then why two in the last eight years?
    Maybe the house is a duplex.

Maybe the house has 2 sep systems.

Post Likes
    That's what I would have assumed. And hell, there are still some drum heat exchange furnaces still working without a problem, so go figure
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes

Smile

Hunters just look like cheap crap up on your wall.

In my house, i want something that looks good.

Vision PRO for me!
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in