Question about condensate drains on heat pump systems

I have a dual fuel system with upflow configuration so the coil is on top of the furnace. The heat pump isn't operational now, but the furnace is running and there is heat coming out of the condensate drain. In cooling mode the water in the p-trap will prevent this, but in heating mode there is no water in the trap. It's lost heat. Is there any way to stop this? Maybe a different condensate drain or p-trap configuration?

Shouldn't be enough to amount out of a 3/4 drain line. If nothing else, fill the trap through the drain pan in the coil

Fill the trap if you are concerned about losing 3 cfm...
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

its not actually wasted heat..its going into your house...or just fill the trap

Quote Originally Posted by pauls heating & View Post
    its not actually wasted heat..its going into your house...or just fill the trap
    Actually some goes into the garage (out the vent) and some goes out the wall. I guess the bugs and lizards will like hanging around the outside vent in the winter.

I could fill the trap but it's so dry here it would probably have to be filled every day.

Just wondering if there's a way to avoid the problem.

Buy a couple 3/4" PVC caps and put them over the vent tee and end of the drain.

Problem solved. Just remember to remove them for cooling season.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnery Sergeant Hartman View Post
    Buy a couple 3/4" PVC caps and put them over the vent tee and end of the drain.

Problem solved. Just remember to remove them for cooling season.
    That's an idea that might work all the time somewhere, and some of the time where I'm at. We have large day-night temperature differentials, and during some parts of the year a heat pump might be cooling during the day and heating at night (example: 55F night, 85F day).

I was sort of looking for a passive solution that didn't rely on my memory or be dependent on the weather.

http://www.jrsmith.com/products/floo...ttal/d2699.pdf

Payback will be around 500yrs +/-.

Quote Originally Posted by garya505 View Post
    That's an idea that might work all the time somewhere, and some of the time where I'm at. We have large day-night temperature differentials, and during some parts of the year a heat pump might be cooling during the day and heating at night (example: 55F night, 85F day).

I was sort of looking for a passive solution that didn't rely on my memory or be dependent on the weather.
    motorized valve in the drainline? something like a hydronic zone valve? closed on heating call, open on cooling call?

Doesn't someome make a "waterless trap"? Seems I saw one somewhere, a while back, but I don't recall where.

It's insignificant, Why worry with it? Sit back and enjoy your new heat.
    Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained. (William Blake)

Quote Originally Posted by garya505 View Post

If it cools during the day, the trap will be filled with condensate when the heat runs at night.