Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Im almost afraid to touch this keyboard, I seem to have a knack for coming off as a hardnosed jerk, but here goes. The original question was...how does it look on a resume...(I believe). And most of the posts here were correct, it "looks' like someone with a job a year is a drifter after the money and has a problem with continuity. But the people that say you will still probably get a job based on your own confidence in an interview are correct. Looking out for you and yours is an admirable quality as long as you realize that if you and I are both working at the same company, and I have had 2 jobs in almost 20 years, and you have 6 jobs in 7 years and the employer is paying me 22 dollars and hour and he is paying you 32 an hour, and work gets slow....he is probably keeping me and letting you take an unpaid vacation, in the end, my constant paycheck is feeding me and mine while you are scrambling for a while till construction is back in swing. It is the turtle and the hare story in a different version. I am not saying this to be a jerk but the exact words were "you know how to play the game" and that term means what it implies. It means you see it for what it is, gambling on the odds that the jobs will hold out, gambling on the fact that the company you picked has a good business minded boss that keeps the jobs rolling in, it gambles on the fact that you know that little bit more than the next guy, or work that little bit faster. But the turtle is counting (or gambling) on the fact that his loyalty and respect will at least keep him sweeping floors and cleaning vans if there isn't a job to get to in the slow times. Neither is really 'wrong' just 2 schools of thought. As for me, I try to treat my boss as I want to be treated, with loyalty, honesty and respect, as soon as that stops happening, it is time to find a boss that will provide that, but if my boss is providing that, I would really have to think hard about jumping ship for the proverbial two birds in the bush at the risk of being considered flighty, greedy and unloyal.

Originally posted by valdelocc
    in the past 5 years I' changed jobs 6 times,Today I'had an interview and they offer me 12k a year more, I' told my employer about the offer,They we're unable to match it,so I' gave them two weeks notice.
    I've been critizised (fiends,family) cause I've changed jobs so many times, I' think that is a comon practice in our trade. I' wonder how you guys feel about it?
    It don't look good on a resume', but the truth is everyone here is in it for the money. Anyone who says they do it just cause they love doing it ain't tellin the truth. If the money stops or gets pinched, they walk, even if their running thier own show. That's just the way it is.
    Do what you gotta do to support your family.

[Edited by md master on 03-25-2005 at 07:22 AM]
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"
    "he that's walking with wise persons will become wise, but he that is having dealings with the stupid ones will fare badly" Proverbs 13:20
    "Pressure is something people feel when they don't know what their doing". Peyton Manning-superbowl MVP

Why work for $15.00/hr when you could be making $20.00/hr and why work for $20.00 if you could make $36.00
    I' dont really care if my employer needs a bigger house or a newer SUV, My family and myself is all that matters, if you want me to be loyal, save the words and show me the money!!
    Could ya let me know how you learned your negotiating skills? How did you convince your next employer to pay you so much more? I've had a couple of jobs and I'm lucky to get a buck or two differance from the previous employer. I don't think most employers are loyal to there employees so why should employees be loyal to the employers? In the end, if the employer wants to get rid of you for whatever reason they can and will. Union or not. As the ol saying goes, Its the golden rule. Those would have the gold make the rules.

I have experience in THIS field

My situation, moved to Minnesota in 2001. Worked for a company for 4 months, hurt my back, they TURNED theirs on me accusing me of doing it at home. This pissed me off, I called another company in town, gave 2 weeks notice and went to them. (Old company didnt want 2 week notice, was actually off 2 weeks cause the new place didnt have a van for me until those 2 weeks were up).

New place, went union. I was told I was going to make $20 an hour, starting. Worked on my own after day 1, own van. Said union would only pay me ass apprentice until after 2 years. Screwed me out of alot of money.Fed me lines for 6 months about union, changed the scale, etc. One day I was fed up, found another job.

Slight raise, Boss turned out to be the toughest guy to work for, another board member (KBVOSO) can confim this, he took MY old spot, and isn't there anymore, same reason.

NOW, I have been at my new shop for almost 1 year. They are without a doubt, the company I have looked for. They treat you right, GREAT coworkers, no backstabbers, most are fisherman, hunters so we all get along hang out. Boss is great, I would work for him for less (dont tell them hah I need a new truck).

Point being, sometimes it takes a while to find a place you fit in. Not to mention there are ALSO alot of bad BOSSES, some of you don't realize that. I say keep looking until you are happy.

As for burning bridges, I had good reasons for leaving the places I did. Those are bridges I don't WANT to cross again.

Besides I have a new boat don't need a bridge

Good Luck!

Chad
    You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel...

http://rapalaguy.spaces.live.com/

Since getting out of the AF if 74 I've had 12 jobs in 31 years. My longest was 10 years (Trane) and shortest was 3 days (Mom n' Pop shop). Was layed off once(They lost a huge chain service contract) and fired once (deserved it)
    The other 9 times I quit. In my younger days, I had no hesitation in telling my bosses where they could stick it when I felt I was being forced to do something that was in any way dishonest or I was being treated unfairly. Other jobs I quit cuz I wasn't getting enough hours (3 service techs, we'd rotate days, one on and 2 off)

2 of the jobs were "hold me over the Winter, till work opens up jobs" (Gas company and School District Maintenance) One place had enough service work to keep one tech busy and another only half busy..and I'd be insulating ductwork half the time. I did it for a year, till something better showed up.

So there's more to the stories than the numbers. Now I'm in a position where we're looking over resumes, looking to hire a guy and my boss is saying "This guy had 6 jobs in 7 years, we can forget him.... and I say....let's at least hear his story....cuz I've been there and know there's companies that will lay off the guys at the first sign of a slowdown.....

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Getting hire is mostly a matter of scoring high in the inteview, First you most show confidence borderline cockyness,Be yourself and dont be afraid to stand for the things that you believe on,and know your stuff.Make them feel comfortable with you,Let them see who you are,And not only what you can do but what you havent done yet,My motto is "if it was made by a man I can work on it"

i have had 5 jobs in 6 years, about the same as 6 in 7 years. first 2 where 2.5-3 years each. left first one for more money, better oppertunity and less oil work, no runouts in middle of the night. i learned more in the time there than if i was at the forst job for 10 years. it was well worth it. after that i relocated to a different part of the country. i am on my 3rd job in less than a year. some call me crazy, i am just looking for the place i can work for 20+ years. i don't like switching jobs, but i hate disliking the place i work even more. 1st place in this area 3 weeks, never got a long there, was never going to. next place about 6 monthes, wasn't bad wasn't great. just felt like i was putting my time in. mad a great impression, made them good money, they would take me back, but it felt like jail, just counting the days till the weekend. been at the last place for over 2 monthes, finally all commercial, been wanting to do that for years, i am excited as i can get about going to work. they like me i like them. might have finally found the place to stay for a long time, in the part of the country i want to live.

the economey where i am now enables me to keep looking for a job till i can find the one i really want. not everyone has that luxery. money has not been the driving force for changing jobs, happyness has. the **** job i had for 3 weeks payed more than i make now, but that is fine by me

mike3 you google searched rochester, is it ny or mn. if ny there is not anywhere near that many job openings, especially this time of year.

the grass is not always greener on the other side, but sometime it is. do not burn any briges, it can catch back up to you. money can't always buy happyness, but it sure is nice to make a lot of it.

i think we are all looking to settle in somewhere and be comfortable for a long time at a place they can make good money , be respected, and have a balanced life. I can never blame a man for bettering himself and or taking care of his family. There seem to be more then a few condeming the man for switching jobs but there are also more then a few ads in the paper offering signing bonuses. who are they kidding they are going after the dollar chaser and i know the argument that you'll get laid off by him in the fall but it seems to be the way of the world isn't it. Its a two way street, if there were no carrot to dangle the bunny would have nothing to chase and if there were no bunny there would be no sense in dangling the carrott.

Loyalty and respect should be a two way street but i've noticed when an employer respects his workers the workers in turn remain fairly loyal to that company but why is it when an employer does not respect his workers it seems to be assumed the worker must be of poor quality, attitude, or the like? I think maybe some people that change jobs often with good reason are highly motivated (not all but some)

I myself spent 9 years at one company, mostly because i was too stupid to quit. Since i left I promised myself I would not let myself be miserable again and i've quit 3 jobs in a row after that which were all under one year each. i figure it doesn't take 5 years to figure out you don't wanna retire here. I've been at a place now for over a year and i like me boss and he likes me and i like the money (it like me too). I'm still looking for the job i'm gonna retire at. It ain't about the money or bad boss for me its quality of life and it turs out there isn't much quality of life for a technician in washington d.c.

So to conclude here if there are 30 companies in rochester i doubt he shall have no problem finding a new job every year if he so desires. By the time he makes it through his first 15 companies there will be 10 new companies in the area and 10 of the last 15 will be under new management anyway since 10 of his last 15 bosses will have likely also moved on. the 5 bosses that stayed 15 years and never moved on 4 0f 5 are probably the owner.

sfry
    I googled NY. I wasn't saying that many job openings. Just how many hvac shops there were. Bst of luck finding the right place to nest. I really loved my job, especially the last 7-8 years. I was there longer than most of the tech's on this site are old.

In Rochester NY we have around 60-100 shops, 10-20 strictly commercial-industrial, another 20-40 residential-light commercial,the rest mom-pops residential shops.
    Also some of the biggest factories (Xerox,Kodak,infotronics etc) do hire service techs to work in house full time (been there done that) Its almost imposible for a tech to run out places to work up here.
    I'm a jack of the HVAC trade,beside troubleshooting and installing,I know how to bend and install sheet metal , fit pipes, weld etc.
    Again my goal is not to go from shop to shop but to find the right employer.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    In Rochester NY we have around 60-100 shops, 10-20 strictly commercial-industrial, another 20-40 residential-light commercial,the rest mom-pops residential shops.
    Also some of the biggest factories (Xerox,Kodak,infotronics etc) do hire service techs to work in house full time (been there done that) Its almost imposible for a tech to run out places to work up here.
    I'm a jack of the HVAC trade,beside troubleshooting and installing,I know how to bend and install sheet metal , fit pipes, weld etc.
    Again my goal is not to go from shop to shop but to find the right employer.
    Isn't Issac's in Rochester??Heard they are a great place to be.

Issac is one of the biggest comp. around here, I' know a couple of guys that work for them, the rumor is the issac brothers are good people to work for, They survived a couple of unions takeovers, the mayority of techs voted no to the union, so they most be doing something right.

i worked for issac for almost 3 years before relocating. they where a good place. they have a lot of benifits i didn't realize where really bennys till working else where. they have a great training, best i have been around. if your looking long term, i would give them a try. the rochester job market is crap, probably not to many places left to try that might be decent.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast