Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    That part about the money can cut both ways. Lets say someone hires you for 25.00/hr + bennys. Sounds great huh. Another technician comes along and offers to work for your employer at 20.00/hr + bennys. Employer thinks hey it's all about the money, then cuts you loose because he gets it for less. See my point. Yeah money is part of the equation but not all of the equation. Do yourself a favor and stay put for at least five years.
    Saddle Up!

Hey Val I think there has been a lot of good points in this post that you should really think about. Don't you have any loyalties to anything? I would just look at it as if you were the business owner. Would you hire yourself with taking the risk of you jumping ship for a few $$ more in a year or so? It doesn't make for good business or good moral sense. And even though you say those employers would welcome you back I would question that statement. Maybe they are just telling you that. I think if it ever really came down to it they'd probably go tell you to take a walk. Everyone wants some sort of loyalty/morals in their lives be it in a job or anything else. What would you do if your wife was as loyal to you as you are to your employers? Not good, huh? And if you were really worth the money you say you are your employers would have bumped up your pay to keep you instead they let you go to the highest bidder. Looks to me like they weren't willing to ante up to keep you. What does that say? Just some food for thought.

I' know that it doesnt look good in my resume,But I' look back and the guys that used to be part of my team 6 years ago and they are still in the same hole making one or two bucks more an hour, one of them got hurt in an accident and was let go,And none of them have had the chance to put their hands in so many pieces of equipment like I' did.
    Botton line is I' have no regrets, By changing employers so oftem,I've gained all kinds of trade related experiences and I'm making almost double $$$$ .
    Some of my ex-team mates, oftem call me asking for tech. support and I've helped some others to move into better jobs.
    I'm the type of guy the gives 100% to a given employer,I' expert to be rewarded. It doesnt work that way any more,most of the employers are greedy and cheap,Maybe one day I'll find the job that I've been looking for, in the mean time I'll keep on seaching.

Val,

I am glad you made it as far as you assume you have.

Your mind is made up prior to your first posting.

I do not know how you think you gained all this knowledge and experience etc, when you have just demonstrated to us .... that you do NOT listen to others!

If the guys who posted here were crak-pots, idiots, theives, skum-bags ..... I would side with you.

But these guys represent the best in the Industry!

Once or twice, in my life, did I ever quit an employer to go to another job. And both times it was a mistake. I just didnt realise how well off I had it where I was at the first.

What you lack, cannot be gained by reading school books. It is a matter of character and maturity.
    And there are plenty of guys who simply choose to never develope in that area.

And many employers never seem to care. They keep them around.
    They just dont have the high standards like some outfits do.

An outfit with high standards will not want a teenager in a man's body applying for work as a seasoned mechanic.

Maybe one day I'll find the job that I've been looking for, in the mean time I'll kee

Got news for ya, Val.... THERE IS NO PERFECT JOB! It's not the employers, I can cleary tell from your postings, who have the problem... it is you. If you don't change your attitude and realize the grass isn't always greener on the other side you will forever be job-hopping and never satisfied with where you are. I find it very hard to believe all of the 5 employers you've worked for in the last 6 years have been that bad or payed that horribly to make you want to leave.

What do you think of a man who goes thru 3 or 4 marraiges and always ends up divorced? Common sense tells you it's not the women that are the problem after that many- it's the man who isn't satisfied.

Sometimes you just got to be happy with what the good lord has given you. Didn't your momma teach you that?

Now don't get me wrong- I'm not trying to knock ya down or anything- just trying to say "wake up and smell reality!!!"

Jeff I did not said anything about my ex-employers being bad, Only one of them is a proven son of the whore, I'm friend with couple of my ex-bosses, every now and then we go out for cigars and drinks, no long ago one of them invited me to his 40th wedding aniversary, In general they are good people, I'm devoted to my job and I' love to jump in my truck and head to work, In the other hand I' like to golf and go fishing too, If I had a choise I' rather be golfing or fishing instead of working.

The reality is that, if you go into an interview with a great deal of confidence ( not arrogance) and knowledge about the position ,,, you will have a pretty good chance at getting hired

,,,,,most often, employers hire people based solely on how they interview,,,as long as they exhibit an acceptabel level of competance in the job they are being hired to do

, companies that throw out resumes with experience on them, are not the kind of companies you want to work for anyway these types tend to be the mom and pop type companies that are often time to small to know very much about the realities of the business.

..........Val you need to look for a union to join,,,,,, they don't care that you fired your employer a couple times.

eddy, In my opinion you are so far the only one that know how to play the game, My dad wasted 30 years of his life working for the same guy and at the end he got a good kick in his ass.
    as far as going union, well,I' dont agree with a lot of the stuff that unions are about, and I' believe in free will.

well my opinion in this i have been in the field for five yrs now and average 14 months at my jobs.... Every interview i explained my reason for the job changes $$$$$$$$$$$$$ now i have a job that i hope to retain for many years with a big company where i have set raises health care vaction time when i ask to use it and i could go on and on ....Tired of seeing my boss buy new trucks for himself and his family attending the best schools while i could barely afford my old pick up so i did something about it if you are good at what you do you will be fine in this business. now guys dont hammer me too bad onm this one.....!!!!

Val,,

I used to think that way to until I got into a union,,,, I really thought I was selling out my beleifs,,,,,,then I sooned realized that there was actually more fredom and free will to be who I am, than I ever had outside the union.

Thumbs up

there is a lot of movement with bosses putting adds out and techs making the jump for more money.the bosses are looking at another summer coming up and would love to rotate the stock...but a body is better then nothing.to all the new guys on the site,you think the field is mechanical and electrical only.the way you sell your experience on interviews and prove it in a summer is major to your self respect and image to others.then when you get the years in and walk into a shop of stagnated techs...the fun really begins with them thinking you invented the field on the simplest problems and dealing with customers $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

All of these posts have had their good points but all talk about leaving jobs for more money. What about the guys that ARE in fact satisfied with their pay and do a good job,have the knowledge and are there EVERYDAY?...just to get laid off and forced to look somewhere else for work. I seem to get in on the large jobs and when they are over or almost completed, I among others are axed.This forces my resume to be filled with "lay off lack of works" It never used to be this way...I just want to be steady....but I guess the reality of it is... construction is a temporary profession.

In the past, almost ten years, I've worked for two different companies doing to different trades. I worked in tool and die for four years for one company and I'm currently going on six years with the only HVAC company I've worked for.

I don't think it's good work ethic to jump around. It shows no dedication to a company. I don't work just for a paycheck. I want to be able to help the company grow.

Although I've never worked for a different company during either trade, I feel I was better off staying in one place. I have a desire to work at my best ability and learn as much as I can so I have an impact in the company.

I've seen countless people quit one company to work for another. They then, keep doing the same routine until they are back at the place where I met them.

Sometimes, they make their rounds more than once.
    Get back to work.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast