Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I am somewhat new to the HVAC field. I took 2 years of vocational HVAC schooling during high school. During the summer of my junior to senior year, I got a job (thru the class) working for a commercial HVAC company. The company gave me a range of jobs; from sheet metal installation to refrigeration. It was great! After only doing one week of refrigeration work as a helper, the guy I was helping got pneumonia. For the next three weeks, I was on my own brazing all the lines myself until someone was sent to help. I only worked there for the summer but it was great experience.

I then did apartment maintenace for about a year. Good company but pretty much dead end future. Didn't want to live in an apartment the rest of my life.

I have my Associate's Degree in HVAC and now work for an HVAC manufacturer from the midwest. I am an engineering lab technician. I am up close and personal with the residential equipment all day and love it. I have been here for 5 years. The pay is probably average, but the hours, benefits, and work enviorment are wonderful. I hope to stay around here for a long time.

sfry, the job market around here aint too bad, I' just took on a new venture with an out-town corporation trying to break new business in western NY.

maybe the market is finally changing for the good. when i looked for a new job about 4 years ago i had 4 interviews, and hald of them offered crap pay and bennys. never saw much even advertised, even when i was leaving. going into the busy time in charlotte, nc there are many jobs advertised, and lots more out there. there are a few big places, but it seems like 100's of small places. it is growing like crazy here, about 50,000 new people a year here, lots of new construction, residential and commercial, also lots of service, many houses have multiple systems, unlike rochester. never did commercial in rochester, the roofs are cold when it is in the 40's i can't imagine 2+ feet of snow and -30 degree windchills on the roofs. i think you said you get laid of when it is slow. there are many places that don't lay off. at issac i had at least 40 hours 10 monthes out of the year, and very seldom got below 35 the rest of the time, enless by choice. i know many people get laid off or have hours cut. curious if i know you, did you go take any classes in hvac, i went to mcc and finished in 99. good luck to you man

sfry,I live in the town of greece and I've been doing 90% commercial, Chances are we never met,I didnt go to mcc,went to boces in the early 90'S,I' been to a few of the classes at johnstone,vp supply,york (upstate),wards,trane etc.
    The reason why I'm still here is my daugther. She live with her mom and it would be selfish fo me to leave her.

sounds like we have probably not meet. don't know how you do it in that cold, props, to you, i like the basements when it was cold, not the roofs. greece is a nice area, it takes a real man to make sacrifices for the good of the family or kids. i don't htink they are looking but i have a buddy that is a manager for a commercial place in rochester, if your ever looking try me e-mail in my profile.

hows that fast ferry thing wroking out, what a waste of $$

The city bought the fast ferry for a second time,The boat's engines need to be replaced and there are some 13mills of tax payers $$$$ missing,I' went to Torronto Last weekend and couldnt find the ferry terminal and nobody seem to know anything about the boat,What a joke!!in the mean time, After 8 disatrous years our "great" mayor is quiting public service to become a teacher at RIT. I' believe that NY politicians are among the worst in the nation. Buffalo also in deep crisis, the mayor there went out his way hiring his family at 75Ks a pop of tax$$ and now they dont have enough paper to wipe their arses and our governor Mr Pataki is too busy trying to stay away from the mess cause he hopes to become our next pres. (God forbid).
    Hard working people are leaving the state and lazy welfare seekers are moving in,Crime in the city is among the highest in the country.

Since I started in the HVAC/R trade:

1963-66 U.S. Army (honorably discharged)
    1966-69 Eastern Refrigeration (got fired)
    1969-71 All Seasons Climate Control (bought them out)
    1971-77 Berkshire Refrigeration (sold out)
    1977-1979 Eastern Refrigeration (they never learn)
    1979-2005 Bennington Cooling & Heating

That ain't too much job hoping in 40 years.

The city bought the fast ferry for a second time,The boat's engines need to be replaced and there are some 13mills of tax payers $$$$ missing,I' went to Torronto Last weekend and couldnt find the ferry terminal and nobody seem to know anything about the boat,What a joke!!in the mean time, After 8 disatrous years our "great" mayor is quiting public service to become a teacher at RIT. I' believe that NY politicians are among the worst in the nation. Buffalo also in deep crisis, the mayor there went out his way hiring his family at 75Ks a pop of tax$$ and now they dont have enough paper to wipe their arses and our governor Mr Pataki is too busy trying to stay away from the mess cause he hopes to become our next pres. (God forbid).
    Hard working people are leaving the state and lazy welfare seekers are moving in,Crime in the city is among the highest in the country

that is why i left rochester. the icing on the cake was the cell phone and window tint ticket i got a week before leaving. i love leaving ny. i will never move back

sfry, I bet that labbats blue and molson are the two things that you miss the most.

no you can get them here, but i miss wegmans dinasaur bbq and china court.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234