Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Exclamation

in the past 5 years I' changed jobs 6 times,Today I'had an interview and they offer me 12k a year more, I' told my employer about the offer,They we're unable to match it,so I' gave them two weeks notice.
    I've been critizised (fiends,family) cause I've changed jobs so many times, I' think that is a comon practice in our trade. I' wonder how you guys feel about it?

A guy that works for a different company every year sends up a big red flag to me. I wouldn't hire you. I would want someone loyal who would grow as the company does. That's just me though maybe others like finding new technicians every year.

[Edited by stevehvac on 03-21-2005 at 05:26 PM]

I kinda look at it that if an employee has a record of jumping ship a lot that he will probably not be there when I really need him. Why hire someone that is changing jobs alot, thats usally the guy that is causing all kinds of distention with the employees. Their is usally a reason he keeps going elseware and its usally not a reason thats a benifit to the employer. just my impression but the guy that is always switching jobs for a few dollars more is always the one trying to hold you over the barrel all the time and the one that is always trying to take your clientele with him as a bargaining chip to get hired. I dont need that.

In some cases my employers sent me home for a few weeks due to slow business by the time they called me back,I' was already working for someone else, In my opinion, if an employer values you, He or she will counter offer,It happened to me more than one time.

A guy that works for a different company every year sends up a big red flag to me. I wouldn't hire you. I would want someone loyal who would grow as the company does. That's just me though maybe others like finding new technicians every year.

you hit it on the head that time steve

Why work for $15.00/hr when you could be making $20.00/hr and why work for $20.00 if you could make $36.00
    I' dont really care if my employer needs a bigger house or a newer SUV, My family and myself is all that matters, if you want me to be loyal, save the words and show me the money!!

which guy would you hire both with 20 years... the first with just 2 companies 10 years each but can only do light commercial and residential(18.50 HR)or the 2nd guy!who worked for 10 different companies but can do heavy commercial and any level of control work on any application($36.00 HR).as long as you pick up good experience as you go longevitiy in companies is one thing but being stagnated is another....and your wakeup call is when you have that 20 years and want the big bucks and go out and test the water.then you can't handle the equipment they throw at you or the situations with engineers or contractors.big difference between the homeowner watching you change a condenser motor on his unit in the backyard,and an facilities engineer breathing down you back to get a chiller back up on line!

[Edited by maxster on 03-21-2005 at 07:31 PM]
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Guess you really didn't want to hear what we thought. Basically your saying it's all about the money. Highest payer wins. Thats fine but the truth is thats not what employers look for so I would expect you to have a different company this time next year too.

Originally posted by maxster
    which guy would you hire both with 20 years... the first with just 2 companies 10 years each but can only do light commercial and residential or the 2nd guy!who worked for 10 different companies but can do heavy commercial and any level of control work on any application.as long as you pick up good experience as you go longevitiy in companies is one thing but being stagnated is another....and your wakeup call is when you have that 20 years and want the big bucks and go out and test the water.then you can't handle the equipment they throw at you or the situations with engineers or contractors.big difference between the homeowner watching you change a condenser motor on his unit in the backyard,and an facilities engineer breathing down you back to get a chiller back up on line!
    Working for many company's does not mean that they some how were cross trained in every HVAC job.Why would a guy with 20 years experience with only two companies not be able to performed while being watched? Does job hoping give you special skills?

Your just making a nice fantasy story. How about this one. You have two guys both with 20 years experience. One put ten years with a residential company then went to a full commercial company his last ten years.He wants to learn the job and feel at home with the company. If he does then he will stay for a long time. The other guys worked for 10 different local companys doing everything from window units to chillers. Your wake up call is everytime spring comes around he job shops for the highest wage (just wage because it's only money that matters)and he tells you to meet it or he's gone. You know that no matter how good the guy has it he will do it again every spring until you can't afford to keep him.

What do you do? hire this type of guy every year because he can work on a system while being watched? Or do you just get the loyal guy and give him all the training you can. Then you can be happy with that fact that as he gets better and better so will your company.

What you are really saying on that resume is that you have 1 year of experience 5 times. Dont get me wrong I was similar if not the same but mine was not for money but for education and learning. I would leave a job once I learned enough about it that I knew it wasnt what I wanted to do or that I knew that the company was sinking. Some times guys have wrotten luck picking the company they want to work for. I was that way for a while till I found my present 2 jobs. Part time instructor which I love and service manager. I hired 1 guy this past year that changed jobs every 6 months. I found out why. It is a crappy lesson to learn but you need to get some where and stay or else you will learn a different lesson and get your self cut. Sounds like you got hired as a "hired gun" fpr the summer but if you dont produce what you are worth you may find yourself on the wrong end of that stick come slower times. Just a word of caution from some one who knows that is all. Take in what we are telling you.

I wouldnt hire you either. No stability. I can teach a kid out of votech school what you know in about 2 years and he will be loyal when I am done if I treated him right and paid him his due.

Just because some one is dumb enough to offer you 100 bucks an hour doesnt mean he values you. It just may mean he sucks at business.

Val, keep in mind that you are closing allot of doors behind you, doors that will not reopen so if the prospective job does not pan out your options are limited.
    Most employers spend alot of time and money in their employees and employee turnover is a costly matter.
    Although your abilities may be great as an employer, in my opinion you would not be desirable.

Did a Google for HVAC co in Rochester. Shows around 30. So if you jump to a new co each year, lets say in 15 years you will have worn out your welcome. The other 15 or so will have heard about your loyalty and well you know what I'm saying. Time to expand your search area or settle down. Although it does sound kinda exciting. OR maybe you are just very good and everyone wants you. Do you get bored easily?

[Edited by mike3 on 03-21-2005 at 10:46 PM]

For my first 6 years in the trade, I' worked for just one company,started doing all the **** work and worked my way up to become a mechanic,They gave me a truck a cell phone and a ton of work. I' was running big jobs and making lots of money for the owners,They we're good to me in every way but the pay. I' left them and my salary went up $5.00/hr.
    Since them my hands are for sale.
    As far as running out of employers,most of the companys that I' worked for, will welcome me back.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast