Fishing, furnaces, and loss. A humidifier question.

Confused

Hey guys,

I want to tell you about my best friend's dad. His name was Bill.

Now, the only reason I ever got to know Bill was that from Kindergarten through Highschool I was best friends with his son. Bill was a good guy. He did his time in the Airforce then came home to marry and raise a family. Soon after returning to Indiana, he put his technical skills to work, getting a job working for a plumber/HVAC contractor. Later, after he'd had his second son (my friend) he got his plumber's license and opened his own shop doing plumbing, electrical, and HVAC work.

I always thought Bill was a really neat guy. Sometimes he used to take me fishing in his johnboat. We'd head out to a little lake about sunset (just the two of us, as his son's couldn't stand fishing). We'd fish until about midnight I guess while he'd real in the occasional bass and I'd try to keep my lure from getting snagged.

Later, after I grew up, Bill helped me on projects around my house. He helped me install my current furnace. The only thing he didn't do was hook up the electrical for the air condinioner. You see, it was winter when we installed the furnace and he said he'd come back and hook up the a/c unit to it later in the spring.

Bill didn't make it to spring. He died in his bed one night that winter. Doctor said the kind of heart attack he had is always fatal. There was nothing the EMTs could do.

In the spring, I was able to recall enough of what Bill told me so that I could hook up the a/c unit. It was just a couple of wires. Really no big deal, I guess. It was just hard to do while I was crying. He was a good guy and I miss him.

I'm getting to the point...just bear with me. You see Bill gave me some advice that I've heeded...but I'm no longer certain it was the best advice.

When we were working in my basement, I asked Bill about putting a humidifier on that furnace. He wouldn't hear of it. He told me they caused a lot of problems, including rust, and he would never have one on any furnace of his...but it was up to me. Well, as far as I was concerned, this guy walked on water...so what was I going to do? I never installed a humidifier.

Now I have a delimna though. My kids are getting nosebleeds in the winter. It's very dry in the house. I read about all the benefits of having a humidifier and I think I want one. Except, Bill told me not to get one, so I haven't.

I'm to the point though I'd like a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and possibly 5th opinion. The question is this: Was Bill right or wrong? Is putting a humidifer on a furnace a good idea in a cold weather climate.

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Phil

Bill was right in his own mind based on his experiences. However there is a bigger picture of many, many successful humidifier installations and improved health issues.

Having a properly sized, properly installed and properly applied home humidifier is a necesity for the problems you describe.

Get one installed and let Bill know that they do work OK and will make your life and your family much happier and healthier.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Good story.
    Reminded me of a mentor of my own.

Install the humidifier.

Bill would understand.

man that is heart renching. sorry for your loss
    bill had a point some of the old humidifiers if not installed or serviced properly would leak and be nightmares
    the newer ones manly april air 400 or 600 have little maintence and are very good units. install is not hard either if you chose to do it your self. you change the pad once a year and just clean out the housing no rezavore to empty or clean. i believe they will handle up to 3000 sq ft
    no book in front of me so i could be off on the sq ft. you can get that info when you buy it. know if you have fourced hot air you need a humidifier on the system. you will find a big difference and you kids will breath better. your house will retain the heat better and you will notice it will feel warmer at a cooler temp also.
    static electricity will be reduced also
    i will be to your advantage to install one

I thought this was going to be like an e-mail phishing scam....

.....if you will send me wiring diagram to my bank account

Yes, my advice is the same as the others.If you need it,then get it.In the mean time boil water on the stove.

And,no offence was intended.

Thanks alot for the advice. I'll go ahead and get that humidifier...at least before next heating season.

BTW...the reason I went into such detail was to explain WHY against all available evidence I had remained convinced that humidifers, in all their forms, are an aboration and to be avoided at all costs. It wasn't just that "someone" once told me that humidifiers were a bad idea...it was "the one guy" I really trusted for this sort of advice had told me that.

Maybe these newer units are better, or maybe Bill had just had a bad run of luck with them, or maybe he was just wrong.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Phil

Wished, I would have had a Bill in my life don't get me wrong my dad was a great provider but never did the father and son things fishing, etc.it was always about him, but I learned a lesson from that and I am just the opposite with my boys we go and do everything together they are my buddys and my friends and I Love them very much, only bad thing is they hate this business and have no desire to help me "could be the attics" but hey I have some good help and have never forced them to help me great story though be nice to see more posts like this one kinda gives us all some prospective on life.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

I'm kind of with Bill on this one. I am in a lot of houses that seem like they need a humidifier but would be ok with just a little modification. If you have excessive infiltration due to duct leaks or pressure imbalances around the house due to door closure or something like that, your house will be pretty dry. Check out and fix the ducts if needed, pressure relieve rooms...etc. See what happens. If you are getting combustion air for a furnace or water heater from your house, maybe think about putting in targeted combustion air for the appliances. Worth looking into before adding a humidifier. I think most homes produce enough moisture to be ok.