Thread: anyone

anybody pay for the membership at http://www.rses.org ?
    is it worth it? my opinion is those exams they give to you are for joe back yard handyman am i wrong? im considering paying the hefty price but would appreciate some feedback first on how it is.
    gahh

my opinion is those exams they give to you are for joe back yard handyman am i wrong?
    If you really think that, go ahead and join up, go meet your local chapter guys, and then tell them you would like to take the CM test.

Oh, and tell them what you've heard about the test being for joe backyard handymen.

Seriously, RSES smokes joe backyard and Harry Hack. The educational and training materials available from RSES are top notch stuff. If you want to learn the technical side of this trade via correspondence, look into the RSES Technical Institute program. You can either order the books or take the CD-ROM course if you like working from a computer better.

I read elsewhere that you're 19 or so. When I was your age, I was doing installs and listening to guys in the trade about my age and older techs at the supply houses scoff at RSES. That was some time ago and I've since realized that I was the one missing the boat about RSES or any trade organization that exists to make our trade better and invest in its training and education.

You can do this...join up for a year and give it your best shot. If you don't like it, you're only out one year's membership fee and you move on. If you do like it, you'll want to use the resources of the society more and more as you learn the value of what they offer.

I've seen your work on the Wall of Pride. You already show a desire to do good, crisp work. RSES or a trade group like it would be highly compatible with an attitude like yours.

[Edited by shophound on 03-21-2005 at 02:39 PM]
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

I would put the CM exam up against any joe backyard. If there is one hack or backyard that can pass it then he is doing great. RSES has some great training programs that can help you become a better professional. If there isn't a chapter near you then start one it is well worth your time.

thanks for the input shophound. i am almost 21 now and i know thats neither here nor there. im in a 3 day course and they are pushing us to join the RSES program.. some of it seems corny like the boy scout badges etc. but i cant knock it till i try it obviously. i dont know anyone who is a member so thats why your feedback is much appreciated. next saturday is the last day of the course so i will bring the coin to sign myself up since you put it like that.
    gahh

Originally posted by skr0oface
    thanks for the input shophound. i am almost 21 now and i know thats neither here nor there. im in a 3 day course and they are pushing us to join the RSES program.. some of it seems corny like the boy scout badges etc. but i cant knock it till i try it obviously. i dont know anyone who is a member so thats why your feedback is much appreciated. next saturday is the last day of the course so i will bring the coin to sign myself up since you put it like that.
    I've been a member almost two years now and I've got a lot out of the organization. The badges and all that might seem corny but you just can't beat the training material. It's top drawer, IMO. Being a member also gets you substantial discounts on material available in the RSES online bookstore. I've purchased SAM books, NATE study guides, the RSES Technical Institute workbooks, and other stuff. All of it has proven valuable to improve my knowledge about this field. It's given me a good reference database when I encounter something off the wall out in the field.

Last week I attended the RSES Southwest Regional Association conference in Ft. Worth, Texas. It was three days of seminars, talking with other techs, fun, and testing. I enjoyed every minute of it (yes, even the NATE test, since I studied and felt good about how I did afterward. Still waiting for the results). I learned more about heat pumps, variable speed air conditioning, Sporlan expansion valves and filter driers, and Copeland Compliant scroll compressors with various forms of capacity control in just three fast days than I thought possible, and won a gauge manifold set as a door prize to boot. Not to mention the trade show with lots of local vendors peddling their wares, which helps me see what's new in the trade.

Best wishes to you as you push forward in the trade.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Hey Shophound, did you go to the all day heat pump class that Andy did? If so, we were in the same room together twice!

Of the 3 fat guys sitting at the back left hand table, I was the one in the light blue shirt.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.