Thread: Wish It Was Natural

Battle Creek MI Occupation: Simi-retired 57 year old, in home and shop appliance tecnician, (since 1967).
    Post Likes
    Suburban brand wall unit w/ ac & "sealed box" LP burner. Mod # DL11-0912ET. Weak flames steady "draft-wize", but surge up and down, even though manifold pressure at burner valve outlet steady at 10" wc. Cleaned burner, found strange "burner air" adjuster (which is more like a nozzle-venturi), installed new flame sensor which helped some but system "locks out" to safety purge daily. 240 vac w/ good ground.------------ What next guys, not a whole lot of theise units around here, HO works for elect. power co. and ordered this item from a catalog. Hope someone can help us out.

Post Likes
    I never worked on one.
    But some possible causes are:
    1. primary air adjustment.
    2. cracked heat exchanger.
    3. You've ruled out bad regulator(s) due to steady
    manifold pressure.
    4. moisture in the propane tank. due to not being properly evacuated and methanoled if new or if not new then a bad batch of propane with moisture in it from delivery truck.
    5. if a direct vent;contaminated combustion air.

[Edited by oil lp man on 03-20-2005 at 12:59 AM]

Post Likes
    I've worked on several of these with natural gas. I have an appartment complex full. They have a goofy pressure switch in them. The unit has to be buttoned up for it to work. They get gunk in the pressure switch tube and orifice on the pressure switch. Also it is a double shafted blower motor. One wheel is for moving conditioned air, the other one is for combustion, like the inducer on a normal furnace. If the blower wheel is dirty or out of balance or something like that they don't prove draft very well.

Post Likes

Perhaps he should call the catalog desk and ask for technical help. Does he really expect to purchase a mail order system and then get service over the internet from us? That is why you purchase equipment from a real contractor, to get the service and assistance when you need it.

Just think how much he saved by avoiding a contractor. Now he can start using the money he saved to pay a real professional to get it working. That is, if he can find one willing to work on a new install that they did not sell.

You would think a utility employee would know better.

Post Likes
    They also have a hidden auto reset limit switch on the heat exchanger. You have to slide the unit out of the sleeve to find it. They suck.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by NormChris

Perhaps he should call the catalog desk and ask for technical help. Does he really expect to purchase a mail order system and then get service over the internet from us? That is why you purchase equipment from a real contractor, to get the service and assistance when you need it.

Just think how much he saved by avoiding a contractor. Now he can start using the money he saved to pay a real professional to get it working. That is, if he can find one willing to work on a new install that they did not sell.

You would think a utility employee would know better.

Attaboy Norm

Battle Creek MI Occupation: Simi-retired 57 year old, in home and shop appliance tecnician, (since 1967).
    Post Likes
    HO is a nice guy who picked from a catalog and then had a good Hvac contractor install 2 of theise units, one upstairs in family room, and one downstairs in a mostly digital photography studio. Very nice instalation on both counts, gas supply co has treated tank and replaced all regulators. Instalation company sick of too many calls and I was called in to see how I could help. Come on guys, don't jump to false conclusions, aren't we better off if we help each other along ?

Post Likes

Thumbs down

sory pal , but when you get the thums down from that guy there has got to be a good reason for it and I believe he gave you a good reason.

Post Likes
    I need to correct my statements, the HO called the contractor first, the contractor came up w/ theise units from a catalog, thinking there might be a market for them, but now has lost faith in the product.
    Would be great if we could get the bugs out. There I go again. The house is spotless, the units are clean, just seems to be a pain to care for.
    Is there any rework info from the source? What tips can you give me? The air adj is a little tricky cause you can only see the flame through a sideways peep hole, and where would you get exhast sample to anilze? Rigid black pipe for gas makes slide-out complicated, and burner vents to outside through ac condenser fins.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in