+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Please Urgent Question on well drilling

Post Likes

Please Urgent Question on well drilling

The driller is here. They have one well drilled to 200'. The next well is 15 feet away and they are going to use the slurry of this well to fill the first one and the third well slurry for the second. The first well drilling slurry is in a pit and they will fill the last well with that. They dug a trench between then and the slurry runs in the trench to the well hole.

The well are in a triangle 15' apart.

question: I asked about grout in the well and he stated he likes to use the watery drill slurry/millings first and than finish off with grout.

Is this correct?

Is 3 wells in triangle 15ft apart correct?

he says he does all his wells this way...

Need answer ASAP

Thanks

Post Likes
    That is the way that they did mine also but I have been told that the only way to be sure that there are no air locks inside is to fill with a tube from the bottom up. Problem is that if they don't do it right you will never know how efficent your system could have been. Good Luck

Post Likes
    Local code will also come into play. Check with the water board and find out what is required. IGSHPA recommends Geothermal bores be grouted with thermally enhanced grout.

Bergy

Post Likes
    It is my understanding that the wells need to be filled from the bottom up with grout. The grout serves to seal the well off so surface water and grouind water don't mix. It will also help contain loop water if the loop leaks. Finally since the grout is what is making contact with the ground and the ground is where heat is being transfered to and from, if it is not grouted properly the well field may not function as efficiently as possible, ie air pockets don't transfer heat well. As far as the 15' apart, that is the recommended distance so the wells don't interact with each other.

Hope this helps.

Post Likes
    Just slurrin in the bottom is OK IF the ground water level is higher than the slurry level year around. Above that should all be grout from the bottom up as others already stated.

READ the Jonjig thread, very long, but you (and probably your driller) may learn a lot. That thread is a textbook in and of itself!

Post Likes

wells complete.

Well driller is done. 3 wells that are all 200' deep. He let the slurry/water empty into the previous well hole. no rock, all clay type material. 200' puts me in the top of a second aquafier.

He grounted from the bottom up. He explained that they send down the grout pipe to the bottom of the well or until he hits the clay/slurry mixture and grouts up.

He was going to bury the lines to the house at two feet. I demanded they trench at least 4 feet deep and they complied. That included the middle of the well triangle where all three are hooked up to a supply and return line. So I have 1 1/4" lines from under house to center of well triangle where the wells are spaced fifteen ft apart at the triangel corners buried at 4 feet and have 3/4 inch lines going down and back up wells.

The HVAC guy is installing a water furnace 3 ton envison unit next week with extra hot water tank.

BTw, I did not see how they hooked everything up to the supply and rtn piping but I assume they use some sort of heat to fuse the piping together and not glue.

Took pictures of whole process so if problem I have documentation

Post Likes

Wow

I hope the used a reverse return header to get equal flow to all wells
    The only thing worse than a hillbilly install, is one that is 200 ft. out of view.
    Grouting should be done from the u-bend at the bottom to the top to prevent ground water contamination. EPA would flip out.
    This probably will have no affect on the perfomance of you loop though.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in